Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Insurance carriers

Hello,

Was wondering if any of you guys had experience with Gieco or Progressive Insurance. Looking at pricing for a car I am running through my business, not a D90, and since it is only one car, no multiple discounts, etc., my agent quoted me a crazy number. I went to the Geico site and it came to about 1/3 what I was quoted through State Farm.

Was wondering if these companies are a hassle and if you have to fight for your money if you have a claim, etc.

Thanks for any info.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I got hit by someone with Geico once and they met me at a local body shop, appraised the damage and cut me a check right then and there. Very fair and hassle free on my end.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I don't know about Geico or Progressive, but about a year ago someone slashed the back driver's side window on my 90. I had to drive the good part of an hour to have someone appraise it. Then after several days they offered me like $200 to send it to an upholstery shop and have a new piece of plastic sewn in. I was not happy. Somehow I didn't feel that the new piece of plastic would go well in my 11 year old faded and sun damaged top.

Besides that one experience, I have heard very good things about State Farm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you're former military, I can't say enough good things about USAA. At this point, I have everything through them. Insurance, car loans, bank accounts.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
1000kva
paul girard

I was going to say the same thing about USAA. No insurance company is a cheap as you think it should be - but I never feel like screaming rape when I deal with USAA. By the way it is not just if you yourself are former military, you can also get it if you are directly related to someone who was in as well. You can go to their site and they have a section to see if you qualify.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I have the lizard....but I haven't had to make a claim. It was a very good deal on my Lexus which I have insured alone as a company car.

Rovers are all insured with Travelers. I made a claim with Travelers when someone who had them hit me in my BMW. It was as good of an experience as it could be - and they didn't fight with me on the diminished value claim.

The only one I wouldn't do business with again would be Allstate. That is who I had when the Defender got hit. They refused to work with me on sending it to ECR to have it properly rebuilt and over $20,000 and 11 months later I got it back with a crooked rear axle, suspension and frame way outside of LR tolerances. A few more months and chains wrapped around the frame to straighten it after they again refused to let me send it to ECR or to replace the frame whatsover (after I showed them that LR and Western Diversified would both deny my warranty) I got no where with them. I cut my loses and traded it in.
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I have not had any problems with Progressive. My wife's Volvo was hit by a hit and run driver and the claim was handled quickly with no problems.
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:50 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its worth joining the military to get USAA. And if for some reason you do join, let me know, I get a cash bonus for convincing people to join up!
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Thanks for the replies - I had the dealer switch the registration to me personally so I can run the insurance with the house and other cars etc. I tried to go with Geico, but since the car was orginally going to be registered under the business name, they would not write a policy.

Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
carrier, insurance