Insurance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM
Viggen's Avatar
Viggen
Status: Offline
Jarrod
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, Va
Posts: 774
Insurance

Question to all of you with newly imported 90s and 110s. Who do you use for insurance? I have been with USAA forever but when talking to them about insuring an 84 90, they want to insure it as a normal car and go by KBB, which doesnt exist in this case. Appraisals wont enter into the equation if there is a loss. Im thinking ahead here. Anyone with USAA have theirs insured and if so, how?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
My friend Neil Steinhagen had his 83 110 insured with USAA- no problem @ all but that was probably liability only. I have my stuff with Allstate.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Viggen's Avatar
Viggen
Status: Offline
Jarrod
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, Va
Posts: 774
What kind of coverage do you have with Allstate? USAA wont do stated value and the associated insurance provider they work with wont insure it because it will be more than just an occasional driver.

Edit: USAA will insure it no problem but its a giant question mark as to what happens if there is a claim.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Question to all of you with newly imported 90s and 110s. Who do you use for insurance? I have been with USAA forever but when talking to them about insuring an 84 90, they want to insure it as a normal car and go by KBB, which doesnt exist in this case. Appraisals wont enter into the equation if there is a loss. Im thinking ahead here. Anyone with USAA have theirs insured and if so, how?

I feel your pain. I still have one car with USAA. I got whats called an agreed policy with Chubb Insurance. Basically we agree what the car is worth in a total loss situation. The car needs to be 25+ if you have a non-NAS vehicle. The insurance book value on a early Defender is about 10k. But if you have a serious restoration on your hands you will want to insure it for more.

With USAA you can get collector car insurance but you are limited to mileage, and storage requirements. That did not fit into my needs. Chubb was also very fair in the price. You will need an appraisal, and will need to get it inspected by an agent (very easy process).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Viggen's Avatar
Viggen
Status: Offline
Jarrod
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arlington, Va
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I feel your pain. I still have one car with USAA. I got whats called an agreed policy with Chubb Insurance. Basically we agree what the car is worth in a total loss situation. The car needs to be 25+ if you have a non-NAS vehicle. The insurance book value on a early Defender is about 10k. But if you have a serious restoration on your hands you will want to insure it for more.

With USAA you can get collector car insurance but you are limited to mileage, and storage requirements. That did not fit into my needs. Chubb was also very fair in the price. You will need an appraisal, and will need to get it inspected by an agent (very easy process).
I have always liked USAA but it looks like Im going to have to get some other sort of insurance provider. They will not go with an agreed value, even if its through an official appraiser. Their collectors insurance can offer agreed value but the moment I tell told them that I would actually be driving the truck, they quickly said they cannot help me. What restrictions were placed on you through Chubb? Are they an underwriter for a larger firm?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
I have always liked USAA but it looks like Im going to have to get some other sort of insurance provider. They will not go with an agreed value, even if its through an official appraiser. Their collectors insurance can offer agreed value but the moment I tell told them that I would actually be driving the truck, they quickly said they cannot help me. What restrictions were placed on you through Chubb? Are they an underwriter for a larger firm?
only 1 restriction:

If I don't pay the bill they won't insure me.

I dont believe they work for a larger firm.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
I have all my cars with ACE Private Management Risk. Everything I own is with them ( Portfolio ) and everything is under AGREED VALUE, hence if anything happens, all you need to do is handle them the keys and title and you get your check ( minus deductible ) for whatever amount you insured it.

Shrek is insured for $ 52,000.00, LR3 2006 $ 39,000.00, snowmobile $ 12,800.00 and so forth
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
I have all my cars with ACE Private Management Risk. Everything I own is with them ( Portfolio ) and everything is under AGREED VALUE, hence if anything happens, all you need to do is handle them the keys and title and you get your check ( minus deductible ) for whatever amount you insured it.

Shrek is insured for $ 52,000.00, LR3 2006 $ 39,000.00, snowmobile $ 12,800.00 and so forth
Surprised they would do an agreed upon value for the lr3. I understand shrek and all these imported trucks but the lr3 is just a new car no matter what accessories you put on it. It depreciates at a normal rate, at least for now.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
tommyd's Avatar
tommyd
Status: Offline
Tom
LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 473
some more info here. I've used USAA forever, but I'm still trying to find the best company for an agreed value policy.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3384
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Have you tried a collector car insurance outfit like American Collectors and/or Hagerty collector car insurance?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Surprised they would do an agreed upon value for the lr3. I understand shrek and all these imported trucks but the lr3 is just a new car no matter what accessories you put on it. It depreciates at a normal rate, at least for now.

It doesn't matter, that is why I believe is the best Insurance company , everything is available for Agreed value, houses, Bike, Boats, cars, ATV, etc.

Funny part is when I sold the 360, the agreed value was twice the amount I got for it.
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM
navydevildoc's Avatar
navydevildoc
Status: Offline
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,586
Registry
I use USAA, but right now it's just liability on the Series, and the LR3 wasn't a problem.

When I get a 25+ Defender it will get interesting.

Hagerty is who underwrites their collector car policies, and like stated, the moment you say you are going to do anything other than drive it to a car show they say no.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:04 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
USAA will only do full coverage up to book value. Chubb was recommended to me and the price is very good and the coverages are very high... They inspected the restored trucks and we agreed on a number.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,686
Registry
Contact Tony...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Chubb and ACE are rich people insurance. You pay more, but you get top notch coverage and service. Me, I have allstate liability only and collector car insurance.

Either haggarty or grundy permits one day a week to work driving of a classic, although I have heard that they will not cover old land rovers as they are not collectable (prior to 1972 or so). It never really bothered me because a wrecked rover is not that huge of a write off (title parts etc being worth a fair bit on their own).

Ron
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Chubb and ACE are rich people insurance.
I did not see that box to check on the application. The agreed insurance premium was inline with my 10 year old Tacoma with USAA.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
don't know if Tom is wealthy but he makes a mean home grown bloody mary @ 2:30 am.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,686
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
he makes a mean home grown bloody mary @ 2:30 am.
cannot beat that...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Hagerty is who underwrites their collector car policies, and like stated, the moment you say you are going to do anything other than drive it to a car show they say no.
Do you have any cars insured through Hagerty?
I have four musclecars insured through them and over the years have never had any issue about usage.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
jetmech's Avatar
jetmech
Status: Offline
Dave McHenry
1984 Landrover 90 CSW
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Posts: 226
USAA will insure it as a clasic but can only drive 2000 miles per year, must bee garage keep.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Agreed Value Insurance? LRNAD90 Defender Technical Discussions 11 January 18th, 2006 10:43 PM
car insurance roverboy Defender Technical Discussions 3 September 8th, 2005 12:46 PM
Insurance Prices across States Glenn_Guinto Misc. Chit-Chat 14 July 19th, 2004 10:02 PM
What Insurance Company?? Buckon37s Defender Technical Discussions 5 January 26th, 2004 02:09 PM
Military Vehicle Insurance Peter Defender Technical Discussions 2 November 14th, 2003 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Copyright