Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
speedway16
"Doctor"
TBD - looking!

Inspection Assistance - San Diego

Gurus-

Anyone in San Diego up for taking a look at a D90 for me? I've exchanged several emails with the owner, looked at pictures, discussed maintenance, and asked about typical D90 issues and I'm ready to move forward with the process. Unfortunately I'm located 8+ hrs from San Diego where the truck is located. I'm a first time LR buyer. I'm looking for a brutally honest assessment. Anyone?

Owner is DOD and currently overseas. Truck is currently at The British Garage in San Diego - 1994 LR D90, Portofino Red, 93k miles, almost 100% stock.

Thanks-
speedway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Can do it today if you want, I will be very close at AleSmith Brewery picking up a new keg of Nautical Nut Brown Ale.

Do you have any history on the truck? Does Jim (owner of BG) know it's for sale?

PM is incoming.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I have a friend who just took a road trip to San Diego. I should've gone with him. The timing would've been perfect!

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Neill, ask him if he has anymore front bumpers for sale while you're there.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Neill, ask him if he has anymore front bumpers for sale while you're there.
No kidding....
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
speedway16
"Doctor"
TBD - looking!

Neill-

Email and PM sent. Thanks a million!

speedway
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

If nothing else have them take the truck down the road to Pioneer Center for a third party evaluation... If its the one i saw there last year that belonged to a Navy officer it has some rust issues... Also there may be some differences of opinion on this but if Jim Newman tells you what it needs and your agreable I would buy it based on his advice.. In fact i did my 90 was his 6 years ago
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Just looked at the truck, let me finish my beer run and then I will report back. Overall impression... "meh".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
OK, back home, Nut Brown is poured, Stills/Kooper/Bloomfield Super Session is on the speakers, it's 75 degrees outside, and it's the weekend. Let the rover addiction begin....

First off, all the pictures I took are available in full resolution on our club website at http://www.lrcsd.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2763

Since for some reason we can't insert inline images in this particular sub-forum, you will have to figure out what picture I am referring to. To make matters worse, my camera wasn't charged and quit halfway through. I will try and go in the order of the pictures as they are shown below.

Jim wasn't there at the British Garage, but the guy up front showed me into the back where the truck was and left me alone to poke and prod.

First thing I did was pop open the driver's door to get a look at the inside. Immediately I notice two strange things...

First, the heater control bezel is not only missing the lighted panel (no big deal), but there seems to have been an attempt to assemble the trim using non-factory hardware. See the screw sticking out at an odd angle? This will become a recurring theme.

The other thing I immediately notice is a bunch of non-factory wiring sticking out of the lower dash, some of which goes into some kind of box with a circuit board inside, and other wiring held together with duct tape. I think this is part of an alarm system I saw in the engine compartment.

Miles are 93,553 at the moment per the odometer.

There is a tuffy box in the middle of the seats, and locks. There is also an alpine stereo in there, but I was unable to test it. The doors have two-way speakers in them, but there are just wires hanging out in the back and there is no plastic housing where the speakers normally go. However, the lid to the stereo section has something very, very sticky on it. In fact I touched it and my finger was still sticky an hour later, I ended up using Gojo to scrub it off my skin. I don't know what it is or why it's there.

A/C is present, don't know if it works.

Dash overall, end trim and crooked tach notwithstanding, looked good.

No rust that I could see anywhere on the bulkhead. Floorboards also look really clean.

Seat boxes are what I would expect for a truck this old. Surface rust, nothing all the way through. Seat frames are rusted pretty bad, but solid. The plastic trim/matting on the front face of the seat box is peeling away, and will need at least re-gluing, maybe replacement or removal. Seats (other than the frame) look great.

Bottoms of both doors have rust holes about the diameter of the pen I was holding, the passenger door has sub-paint cancer rust going up the door about an inch. Don't have a picture, sorry. Another odd thing was that the passenger door won't open up nearly as much as it should. I couldn't tell if it was the hinges or the door stay, and I wasn't about to break the door trying to figure it out. The latch was very stiff to open.

Bonnet clear coat is badly delaminated. The whole thing needs to be re-painted.

Engine compartment had a few minor concerns. First, the engine driven fan has been removed and is sitting on top of the engine. There is an electric fan visible from the front of the truck. Don't know if the plan was to leave the engine fan off or not. The mechanic that's been working on it wasn't there, so we didn't know if it was safe to start, so the engine is a very large unknown.

Transmission physically moves into all the gear positions, and t-case appears un-frozen, but without a test drive is impossible to really check.

The engine compartment does contain some more mystery wiring to an alarm horn on the driver's side, as well as sloppy wiring connecting to the alternator.

There is minor paint damage to the passenger wing, and it looks like someone tried to use a "paint pen" to cover it up at some point.

Down on the front bumper, there is more mystery non-quite-attached hardware. All the other bolts on the brush guard were on tight, but this one bolt wasn't at all. Don't know why, but it shows more inattention to detail that bothers me. There used to be some kind of auxiliary lighting on the front, there is wiring hanging out for it.

Underneath the engine was surface rust on just about everything. Nothing that looked bad to me. No drips or leaks, and they didn't know I was coming so they didn't have a chance to clean up any if there were.

Soft top is in a sorry state. It will need replacement soon. It appears to be original. It some how doesn't look to bad in the picture, but it is.

3rd stop light looks worse in the picture than it looked in person, but the plastic housing is definitely warped and separated.

Rear crossmember appears to be very recently repainted. It's got a "not-quite-Horsey-rhinoline" coating, but it's a thick type of paint. I didn't see any rust on it, but it could have been ground off and re-painted.

Running boards had no issues. Side step/nerf bars are there, and had no rust.

The hardware for the rear seat and belts has been removed, and holes still exist in the tub from it. The belts are still in the back, but with no anchor points for the "tab end" they are just swinging free. As mentioned before, the rear speaker moldings are not there and wires are hanging out.

Frame had surface rust all over it, but after a lot of tapping and banging, looks solid for the moment.

Safari Cage has new stainless hardware on it, but not all of it appeared to be tightened down. I don't know why, but it's more "attention to detail" stuff.

That's about it... if I didn't mention something, most likely it was OK. The three things that personally really got my attention are:

1) Sloppy/mystery wiring. Why invite the Ghost of Lucas Past in if you don't have to.
2) Strange hardware. The new stainless stuff *looks* nice, but not when it's not installed properly.
3) Seat box / seat frame rust. This will need attention sooner than later.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I may have forgotten to mention it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2348.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	34758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	34760  

Name:	IMG_2351.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	34761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352.JPG
Views:	91
ID:	34762  

Name:	IMG_2353.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	34763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	34764  

Name:	IMG_2355.JPG
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	34765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2356.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	34766  

Name:	IMG_2357.JPG
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	34767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2358.JPG
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	34768  

Name:	IMG_2359.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	34769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.JPG
Views:	90
ID:	34770  

Name:	IMG_2361.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	34771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2362.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	34772  

Name:	IMG_2363.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	34773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2364.JPG
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	34774  

Name:	IMG_2365.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	34775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366.JPG
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	34776  

Name:	IMG_2367.JPG
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	34777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2368.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	34778  

Name:	IMG_2369.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	34779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	34780  

Name:	IMG_2371.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	34781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2372.JPG
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	34782  

Name:	IMG_2373.JPG
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	34783  
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
OK, back home, Nut Brown is poured, Stills/Kooper/Bloomfield Super Session is on the speakers, it's 75 degrees outside, and it's the weekend. Let the rover addiction begin....
san diego is awesome.

that is one hell of a write up.

edit: Not sure why, but I have seen more Red D90's with oxidized paint, or very dull, especially on the bonnet, than other colors. Has this issue been addressed before on the board??
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin

san diego is awesome.

X2. You're owed at least another keg of brown nuts.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
san diego is awesome.

Thanks... just trying to make sure my RoverKarma bank is full...

Yes, San Diego is the shit. That's what I have to tell myself every time I am cutting a check for the house each month. I call it "Paradise Tax".
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Doc, let's find you something better. I like that you're doing your own searching, but you're coming up with crap. List you essentials. If you didn't see a lot of that sketchy stuff in the pics already sent to you, you need our help.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Doc, let's find you something better. I like that you're doing your own searching, but you're coming up with crap. List you essentials. If you didn't see a lot of that sketchy stuff in the pics already sent to you, you need our help.
I wasn't the one buying this one.... I am on the hunt for a 300 Tdi 90.

Speedway16 is who is looking at this one.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc

Haha damn you guys are both doctors. I was talking to "Doctor"

------ Follow up post added January 14th, 2011 08:53 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc

I'm assuming LHD? Plenty of RHDs here right now. 110 300 Tdis hold their value way better though, and sell much quicker.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM
speedway16
"Doctor"
TBD - looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post

DevilDoc-

x2. Thanks bro! Awesome write up. I really appreciate the detailed write up and pictures. As a test pilot school trained aviator I've written and read a lot of test & evaluation reports - you've got some talent! I guess doctoring requires a similar set of analytical skills. Nice work. I definitely owe you a "...keg of brown nuts." Consider your Rover Karma Bank full!

As you might guess, I'm going to pass on this one.

Horsey-

If you'd seen the owner provided pictures (all exterior from 10 ft range) and write-up, you'd have taken a look also - probably like a lot of the girls you've dated - good from afar but far from good! :-)

Thanks guys! This site is invaluable.

The quest continues...
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway16

Horsey-

If you'd seen the owner provided pictures (all exterior from 10 ft range) and write-up, you'd have taken a look also - probably like a lot of the girls you've dated - good from afar but far from good! :-)

Thanks guys! This site is invaluable.

The quest continues...
I for one like that you're searching for your own, but what was the price on this one? If the seller can't show a lot of the sketchier things (the things that make you wonder if the owner actually took proper care or took short cuts on the truck) then I was suggesting that you look for something "closer to home"meaning a truck our board actually knows. Not a personal dig, just want you to end up with something you'll actually own and not just try to sell in a year. Post up your criteria; we'll help you out.

PS my Gf just said she's going to slap the shit out of you.
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM
speedway16
"Doctor"
TBD - looking!

Quote:
I for one like that you're searching for your own, but what was the price on this one? If the seller can't show a lot of the sketchier things (the things that make you wonder if the owner actually took proper care or took short cuts on the truck) then I was suggesting that you look for something "closer to home"meaning a truck our board actually knows. Not a personal dig, just want you to end up with something you'll actually own and not just try to sell in a year. Post up your criteria; we'll help you out.

PS my Gf just said she's going to slap the shit out of you.
Horsey-

It's all good - I did not take it as a personal dig - I've got thick skin. All in good fun.

I think the asking price on this one was $19,500. It was on AutoTrader but the ad must have expired. I'd love to get something enthusiast owned off this board, but I'd also prefer to limit my search to the West Coast (reasonable driving distance & rust consideration). The good news is I'm not in rush so I can wait for the planets to align.

speedway
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I'm assuming LHD? Plenty of RHDs here right now. 110 300 Tdis hold their value way better though, and sell much quicker.
RHD or LHD, I am indifferent. I have a RHD Series IIA now and it doesn't bother me at all.
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway16
I did not take it as a personal dig - I've got thick skin.

speedway
I seriously hope so if this is the condition you're thinking of buying.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
inspection, san diego