OK, back home, Nut Brown is poured, Stills/Kooper/Bloomfield Super Session is on the speakers, it's 75 degrees outside, and it's the weekend. Let the rover addiction begin....
First off, all the pictures I took are available in full resolution on our club website at http://www.lrcsd.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2763
Since for some reason we can't insert inline images in this particular sub-forum, you will have to figure out what picture I am referring to. To make matters worse, my camera wasn't charged and quit halfway through. I will try and go in the order of the pictures as they are shown below.
Jim wasn't there at the British Garage, but the guy up front showed me into the back where the truck was and left me alone to poke and prod.
First thing I did was pop open the driver's door to get a look at the inside. Immediately I notice two strange things...
First, the heater control bezel is not only missing the lighted panel (no big deal), but there seems to have been an attempt to assemble the trim using non-factory hardware. See the screw sticking out at an odd angle? This will become a recurring theme.
The other thing I immediately notice is a bunch of non-factory wiring sticking out of the lower dash, some of which goes into some kind of box with a circuit board inside, and other wiring held together with duct tape. I think this is part of an alarm system I saw in the engine compartment.
Miles are 93,553 at the moment per the odometer.
There is a tuffy box in the middle of the seats, and locks. There is also an alpine stereo in there, but I was unable to test it. The doors have two-way speakers in them, but there are just wires hanging out in the back and there is no plastic housing where the speakers normally go. However, the lid to the stereo section has something very, very sticky on it. In fact I touched it and my finger was still sticky an hour later, I ended up using Gojo to scrub it off my skin. I don't know what it is or why it's there.
A/C is present, don't know if it works.
Dash overall, end trim and crooked tach notwithstanding, looked good.
No rust that I could see anywhere on the bulkhead. Floorboards also look really clean.
Seat boxes are what I would expect for a truck this old. Surface rust, nothing all the way through. Seat frames are rusted pretty bad, but solid. The plastic trim/matting on the front face of the seat box is peeling away, and will need at least re-gluing, maybe replacement or removal. Seats (other than the frame) look great.
Bottoms of both doors have rust holes about the diameter of the pen I was holding, the passenger door has sub-paint cancer rust going up the door about an inch. Don't have a picture, sorry. Another odd thing was that the passenger door won't open up nearly as much as it should. I couldn't tell if it was the hinges or the door stay, and I wasn't about to break the door trying to figure it out. The latch was very stiff to open.
Bonnet clear coat is badly delaminated. The whole thing needs to be re-painted.
Engine compartment had a few minor concerns. First, the engine driven fan has been removed and is sitting on top of the engine. There is an electric fan visible from the front of the truck. Don't know if the plan was to leave the engine fan off or not. The mechanic that's been working on it wasn't there, so we didn't know if it was safe to start, so the engine is a very large unknown.
Transmission physically moves into all the gear positions, and t-case appears un-frozen, but without a test drive is impossible to really check.
The engine compartment does contain some more mystery wiring to an alarm horn on the driver's side, as well as sloppy wiring connecting to the alternator.
There is minor paint damage to the passenger wing, and it looks like someone tried to use a "paint pen" to cover it up at some point.
Down on the front bumper, there is more mystery non-quite-attached hardware. All the other bolts on the brush guard were on tight, but this one bolt wasn't at all. Don't know why, but it shows more inattention to detail that bothers me. There used to be some kind of auxiliary lighting on the front, there is wiring hanging out for it.
Underneath the engine was surface rust on just about everything. Nothing that looked bad to me. No drips or leaks, and they didn't know I was coming so they didn't have a chance to clean up any if there were.
Soft top is in a sorry state. It will need replacement soon. It appears to be original. It some how doesn't look to bad in the picture, but it is.
3rd stop light looks worse in the picture than it looked in person, but the plastic housing is definitely warped and separated.
Rear crossmember appears to be very recently repainted. It's got a "not-quite-Horsey-rhinoline" coating, but it's a thick type of paint. I didn't see any rust on it, but it could have been ground off and re-painted.
Running boards had no issues. Side step/nerf bars are there, and had no rust.
The hardware for the rear seat and belts has been removed, and holes still exist in the tub from it. The belts are still in the back, but with no anchor points for the "tab end" they are just swinging free. As mentioned before, the rear speaker moldings are not there and wires are hanging out.
Frame had surface rust all over it, but after a lot of tapping and banging, looks solid for the moment.
Safari Cage has new stainless hardware on it, but not all of it appeared to be tightened down. I don't know why, but it's more "attention to detail" stuff.
That's about it... if I didn't mention something, most likely it was OK. The three things that personally really got my attention are:
1) Sloppy/mystery wiring. Why invite the Ghost of Lucas Past in if you don't have to.
2) Strange hardware. The new stainless stuff *looks* nice, but not when it's not installed properly.
3) Seat box / seat frame rust. This will need attention sooner than later.
If anyone has any questions, let me know. I may have forgotten to mention it.