Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM
WatchTimes
Jeremy
None yet

Question Info on 88 Santana D90?

Hi everyone!

New here.
Searched the forum and Google. Most the info I've found about the Santana comes from Wikipedia. Seems these can really vary depending on years.

I'm looking at a 88 Santana D90 that's already stateside and registered.

Is this going to be the same as the LR? Or are parts going to be hard to source etc?

The 1988's were still LRs just assembled in Spain? I assume so as they still have the LR badging.

This is going to be a second vehicle to replace a 08 Wrangler Rubicon UL. Driven to the cabin up N, on bad winter days and once every week or so otherwise.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this is posted in the right area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 08:20 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
It's not like the LR product of equivalent vintage. More like a series LR with Defender panels.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:11 PM
WatchTimes
Jeremy
None yet

Agh
Not the answer I had hoped for but it is honestly what I expected and the honesty is appreciated!!

I have wanted a Defender since the mid 80s when I was in my teens but a Jeeo Wrangler was what I was fortunate enough to get.

Got a Jeep again a few years ago that's been a second vehicle but I want to replace it with a Defender I will keep for 20 years. Great for rough winter days or going to hunt camp.

What do I have to spend for a good 90 hardtop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 09:14 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Lotso depends...

LHD or RHD
V8 or Diesel
NAS or ROW
Civilian or MoD
etc.

Do some research and reasonable pricing will eventually appear if you are diligent. The search is the fun part.

Have you ever rode or driven one? That is where I would start. Sometimes the Santana represents good value for the money.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:25 PM
WatchTimes
Jeremy
None yet

Oh LHD is a MUST!
I can't imagine a RHD manual!!

V8 or diesel... Good ? which is the more reliable and easier to get serviced in the US. I know neither are speed demons and if I was after a speed demon SUV Id have to have the LAM002 haha. Ideally it sounds like the V8 is a nicer drive so unless its known to be unreliable (doesnt sound like it) I guess Id rather the V8.
Id like the 110 if I could find a nice one in my budget but thats not likely.

NAS or ROW. Id guess NAS but Id be open (need to find out more info)

Civilian for sure. While I know the Defender is far from a luxury vehicle I am not after the work of restoring/updating a MoD. I want what little luxuries the civilian version has.

I want a hard top.

Yes I have driven several Defenders over the past twenty years, all NAS and either 90's or 110's.
While I do like the 4 door I think they are far out of my budget and I think they are a little long for the type of off road trails we have in my area (although I will never be 4 wheeling really)
I know they ride rough, they are noisy but I want something capable and I can own for 20 years. I like that they are still unique! Once you started seeing the FJ in GQ I lost my interest in them haha

I just am really wondering if what I want is realistic for my budget or if I just need to buy some new tires for the Jeep and keep her going a few more years. Ideally Id want to spend under 35K. I want something nice and clean I can drive, not a project as I am not a mechanic (although I have several friends who are good mechanics for that occasional favor)

I guess I want the most reliable and comfortable option out there yes I realize Land Rover does not usually go with comfort and reliable haha. People said that about Jags as well but my mom had an 85 XJ6 and 91 XJS and both were far more reliable than the Cadillacs she had before.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:41 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
$35K should get you a nice Defender. And a that price point you can get a LHD 110 easily, although ROW. I attached a couple currently for sale on here.

The first one for sale is Johan and he is in MI. He usually has a few for sale at any given time. I have not seen one of his in person but from the pictures they look like nice cars.

The second one is a bit out of your range, but you can always make an offer if you like it.

The last one is for sale in my neighborhood and is an NAS. I have not seen it in person.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...27k-66310.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...39k-66534.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...0-a-66352.html
1997 D90 SW #2496

Old November 28th, 2015, 02:00 PM
WatchTimes
Jeremy
None yet

Yeah but can I find a LHD V8 at that price?
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:27 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
Yeah but can I find a LHD V8 at that price?
Did you click the first link? or the third link, although a ST. Both within your budget.

BTW these days pull a Defender into any LR dealership and it is possible they don't really know how to work on it if they cannot plug in and read a code. So yeah, maybe you had better stick to a 1997 NAS 90...but for $35K you will probably have to be patient. I have a 1997 and love it. Unless you don't like automatics.

Oh, and if all your Jeep needs is tires I would stick with it...$35k buys a lot of gas.
1997 D90 SW #2496

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90