In the shop today... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 8th, 2015, 07:17 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

In the shop today...

This beast came in for a no start issue..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	117904  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2015, 07:20 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I bought a new one in '02, and they are the only vehicle more maintenance intensive than a Defender IMHO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
I bought a new one in '02, and they are the only vehicle more maintenance intensive than a Defender IMHO!
Bingo. I think ours was a 1992 or 1993, went through 3 or 4 tcases and finally burned to the ground in our driveway due to a faulty transmission line routed above the exhaust that caught on fire.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
This beast came in for a no start issue..
I would have guessed cash for clunkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
finally burned to the ground in our driveway due to a faulty transmission line routed above the exhaust that caught on fire.
Hmm, where have I heard stories similar to that???
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:48 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
If that is a true military 24v hmmwv I can help if you get stuck. What is the exact issue? No wait light or wait light won't go off? White smoke on startup? What is the name of the pcb box? If it's not an S3 box with the proper temp sender they should upgrade.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:06 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

It's seems to be the PCB.. Start signal in but nothing out.. PCB is supposed to be the most failed part in the army's inventory and the leading cause of hummvees catching on fire..but I think it has a problem with the starter solenoid also. Sometimes requires a smack to get it going..but yes.. Shot the customer a price for the updated refurbed one as well as a starter.. and yes...24 volt military
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:45 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Before you do anything, disconnect the battery before disconnecting the PCB box or you will short it out!

There has been many versions of the PCB as the HMMWV went through its evolution. The only one that caused the truck to burn down was a box made by SSI. It had an extra harness for the glow plugs. I was told it would randomly crank the truck, keep cranking until it started a fire. If you find this under the dash definitely advise the owner to upgrade the box. This is like an old oil cooler line on a NAS truck.

Also make sure the truck has a supplemental grounding harness or you will be chasing gremlins everywhere due to poor grounding. The body, like a Rover, is aluminum and the military did a piss poor job of grounding all the essential equipment:

On the left rear cylinder of the engine is the ground termination, starting from there, run a big gauge wire to each of theses locations:

1. Alternator ground bolt
2. One of the bolts that mounts the S3 box (the PCB box--name change for newest version is S3)
3. To the stud on the firewall that feeds all the instrument gauges. You have to take the instrument cluster out to get to it. The stud passes through to the engine area near the fuel filter, one of the body harness grounds terminates there.
4. The starter ground

Now on to the PCB. This is an old term. The PCB is coupled to the GPC (glow plug controller) on the water crossover which would tell the PCB to charge the glow plugs for engine start. Mine was an old Prestolite box. It was old solid state technology and would "clunk" every time I turn it on. You can feel it "clunk" on and off.

A newer version is the EESS (engine electrical start system) But the newest version is the S3 (smart start system). It has relays and the clunk is gone. It also got rid of the "afterglow"--where the old PCB box would cycle the glow plugs for a few minutes until the engine was warm. This would cause the volt meter to jump up and down as it cycles, you can also hear it in the engine tone. The newer boxes got rid of the GPC and replaced it with the TSU (temp sending unit). This is the box you want:

HMMWV Smart Start System (S3) control box, NSN 6110-01-542-7901

ISSUE: The new S3 control box has made its way to the field. The S3 control box is replacing the engine electrical start system (EESS) control box.

The S3 was cut into HMMWV production starting with serial number 255269. Ordering this NSN will get you the S3 box along with the temperature sensor. The most noticeable difference is the S3 control box has three connector receptacles, unlike the EESS control box that only has two connector receptacles. The third connector receptacles on the S3 control box will be used at a later time for data logging and troubleshooting. The EESS controller and the new S3 controller are interchangeable.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:07 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
It's seems to be the PCB.. Start signal in but nothing out.. PCB is supposed to be the most failed part in the army's inventory and the leading cause of hummvees catching on fire..but I think it has a problem with the starter solenoid also. Sometimes requires a smack to get it going..but yes.. Shot the customer a price for the updated refurbed one as well as a starter.. and yes...24 volt military
If you turn the start switch to "run" and the wait light comes on, then off after 5-10 seconds, then you turn it to "start" and have to hit the starter to crank the engine, then it's probably a bad solenoid.

If you turn the switch to "run" and there is no wait light on, and you have to hit the starter to start the truck look at wire 81. This wire runs from the starter motor to the S3 box. It supplies voltage from the batteries to the rest of the truck. Mine was loose and was intermittently giving me a no power/no start situation.

Old April 9th, 2015, 12:27 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Okay.. This truck has the 3 terminal plugs and has written on it smart start... When I check for power feed down at the starter solenoid I don't get any start signal from the switch, so then I started old school, I supplied my own power to the starter solenoid terminal and still nothing but some arcing..if I give the solenoid a very light tap and then energies it with my own power it then starts, and will repeatedly start but only with me giving the solenoid power... Still no signal out of the start wire down to the solenoid, power coming out of the start switch and then down at the neutral switch, signal coming out of the switch when in neutral and going into the SSI box, but no start signal coming out of it..at the moment I have a jump wire straight out of the neutral switch output side connected to the starter solenoid terminal and it starts, runs, drives as normal, and then every now and then won't crank, the slightest of taps on the solenoid and she fires up again and is good to go until it does the same thing over again..it Ned's the SSI and a new solenoid, what came first, chicken or egg I don't know, all I know is that I like eggs and chickens so it doesn't matter...
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:46 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Okay.. This truck has the 3 terminal plugs and has written on it smart start... When I check for power feed down at the starter solenoid I don't get any start signal from the switch, so then I started old school, I supplied my own power to the starter solenoid terminal and still nothing but some arcing..if I give the solenoid a very light tap and then energies it with my own power it then starts, and will repeatedly start but only with me giving the solenoid power... Still no signal out of the start wire down to the solenoid, power coming out of the start switch and then down at the neutral switch, signal coming out of the switch when in neutral and going into the SSI box, but no start signal coming out of it..at the moment I have a jump wire straight out of the neutral switch output side connected to the starter solenoid terminal and it starts, runs, drives as normal, and then every now and then won't crank, the slightest of taps on the solenoid and she fires up again and is good to go until it does the same thing over again..it Ned's the SSI and a new solenoid, what came first, chicken or egg I don't know, all I know is that I like eggs and chickens so it doesn't matter...
Man, you actually do something at work. I'm flabbergasted! :-)
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
Man, you actually do something at work. I'm flabbergasted! :-)
Yeah, this thread blew my mind.

Old April 9th, 2015, 10:45 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Sounds like you got it figured out then. When you say SSI box I assume you mean S3 because SSI is a fire waiting to happen. From your description of the box it sounds like you have an S3 box.

Old April 11th, 2015, 06:22 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Of course I do stuff...every now and then you have to go out and show the guys you still got what it takes...teach them you don't need no stinking manuals or alldata printout showing you how to figure stuff out on old school stuff.....
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:36 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

They are multiplying..
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	114
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	118093  
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:37 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

This one is a little more civilian..
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	130
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	118094  
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:38 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

And a bit cooler
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	154
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	118097  
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:38 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
I bought a new one in 1999, kept it for 3 years, the only problem I had was getting those 36 " tires balanced. I got tired of it and traded it for a Mini ,
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:43 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post
I bought a new one in 1999, kept it for 3 years, the only problem I had was getting those 36 " tires balanced. I got tired of it and traded it for a Mini ,
Ha! What a change in perspective! Couldn't you have traded it in on something more dramatically different? Nope. ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat