Importing question (other than a rover) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 10th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Kenoa
Kenoa
None ...yet

Importing question (other than a rover)

Other than the usual rovers we love has anyone else been interested in Japanese mini trucks?

I was wondering if anyone in the pacific northwest area has any experience successfully importing other kinds of small cars. I really like the idea of getting one of the little van or truck ones for a grocery getter city dweller but its looking pretty grim getting one on the road. It seems the govs hate these little guys more than Defenders.

I just discovered an Italian company that began licensing one of them in 1992 calling it a "Piaggio Porter". They seem to have made some significant engine improvements over the 600cc moto engines the Japanese originals had ...a 1.2l diesel and even left hand drive!

From what i know about Japanese mini trucks in the states is they are put under special restriction for off road only (most of them i have seen are imported a lot newer than 25 years, thus off road only.)

Now I wonder would it be possible soon to import Italian mini trucks under the same 25 year guidelines everyone so faithfully abides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihat...Piaggio_Porter

One last thought I'm in Washington now but I'm likely to move near roseberg OR for a new job luck permitting. Oregon specifically calls out "Japanese RHD mini trucks" as not tillable not drivable will the country of manufacture change and actually being LHD with a bigger engine pass with them.

any thoughts or insights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2016, 03:17 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I have seen these for sale on Govdeals.com. They usually go pretty cheap, but most are the "off road only" ones. Colleges buy them for on campus use and they dump them cheap!
Old June 10th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Kenoa
Kenoa
None ...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyUSMC View Post
I have seen these for sale on Govdeals.com. They usually go pretty cheap, but most are the "off road only" ones. Colleges buy them for on campus use and they dump them cheap!
Nice, thanks for pointing out that site I only had looked at gsaauctions.gov, usual CL(via searchtempest) and Ebay more options are always good.
Interested to hear if anyone knows about getting Oregon/Washington to accept a diesel one on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2016, 03:46 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I am a huge fan of govdeals, I have bought lots of stuff from the county/ city governments and local colleges for small money and then flipped them for a profit on eBay.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import