Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Importing Q&A

Hello all,
My 84' 110 finally arrived today after a long trip from Europe. I know these threads have existed in the past but if anyone has any questions on how my experience was importing it from overseas, please let me know and I would be more that happy to share, otherwise, I won't bore you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-239517.23.48.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	33396  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think a brief overview would be great, and I'm sure will lead to questions! But I'll start

Easy or Hard?
Would you do it again?
Did you get any help?
Share rough costs?

tia
charles
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Well, I will start by saying this, I was stationed in with the Air Force in Germany, so that made things a lot easier. I started by selling my 1996 Defender and obtaining the 1984 right before I left in September. Both the of the 110s I found on www.autoscout24.eu. A great website to check out even from the States if you are serious about finding one. I was originally going to have the 84' shipped back on government expense, however, the tires were too wide and the roof rack were too tall for gov't specs/I didn't have time to modify due to a short notice move, therefore I told the guy that the only way I would still buy it was if he shipped it for the same price. He agreed. Omar (the dealer I bought it from whose website is www.autohoogeveen.nl), set the Landy up to be shipped from Rotterdam through SCL which he paid 1100 Euro. I had to fill out three forms for them, Dutch power of attorney, vehicle specs, and a Declaration form for US customs. I was exempt from the 2.5% duty due to being stationed overseas when it arrived, I believe this would be an added cost for others. The vehicle was cleaned and prepped by SCL and finally shipped out around the 3rd week in October. It arrived in Savannah on 4 November. Because the truck has an LPG tank it was chosen for a "intensive" exam by customs. This caused it to be stuck in customs purgatory for a week and a half. They did an X ray and sent the dogs in.
Once the truck was about a week from arriving I had to fill out the standard forms, one for the NHTSA (form HS-7), one for the EPA (form 3520-1), another power of attorney. The also required a copy of my passport on both ends. Atlantic Cargo Logistics handled the offload and handled everything with the Customs brokers.
The import fees through Atlantic Cargo cost me $1300 which was mostly due to the intensive exam of the container so I am told. Normally he said it would be $600. I also paid around $500 to have it put on a flatbed and trucked to where my parents live in North Georgia.
The hardest part is communication. I was pretty much in the dark the whole time about where my truck was or if it even got sent, I hated that. I was constantly calling Atlantic Cargo in FL to try to find out when it had arrived and when it was going out on a truck.
I would only do it again if I was living overseas. Was not expecting the extra import fees.
As far as registration. I took the British title to the Arkansas DMV where I am now stationed, paid sales tax (another unexpected fee) and got my tag/US title.

Whew,
if you got more questions let me know.

Cheers,
Andy

------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2010 08:12 PM ------

To be honest though, besides communication issues and a few unexpected costs, it was extremely easy, really just a few forms....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Totally off topic but I just want to know about the mods. Is that info posted anywhere? What size tires? Looks like a big rig.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Glad you had a positive experience obtaining a vehicle from NL, I can say without prejudice that unless I am in there , in person , there is no way I will send a dime to a person in there.

Buying from www.autoscout24.eu without a trusted person to represent your interest mind as well send it directly to the Nigerian Scammers ( one of the same BTW )
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Nice looking truck. Glad to see it worked out for you.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
I agree, I only went to look at Rigs that were being sold by dealers, I went in person, and even had him drive down to the base to get a mechanical inspection done. As for the mods, it has a 3 inch lift, with 33' super swampers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import