Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM
mfreeman17
Mark Freeman
94 D90

Importing a 110 to the States

Hello All,

I recently moved for my job from the states to Switzerland for the next 2-3 years. I purchased new a 2005 110 (Black) from the local LR dealer here in Zurich, and needless to say I love it. Attached is a pic - The silver 04 110 is a friend of mine (also US, with the same questions!) here in Switzerland.

I recognize the sometimes exhausting discussion around how to import newer defenders - but recently I heard from a German enthusiast that if someone has lived outside the US in a foreign country for over 2 years - those individuals have right to import the vehicle that they owned while out of the country. Sounded a little bit fishy to me, but I was curious if anyone in the forum has heard something similar. If so, where can I research more about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MF_LR.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2932   Click image for larger version

Name:	AJ_LR.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2933  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I doubt you can but good luck. If you need a "fix" of AZ offroading, drop me a line. I will e-mail you some AZ 4x4 trip photo's!
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Your friend with the silver one didn't happen to be in Grindelwald over New Year's this year? With a big family (5 kids seats in the back)?

I would give the Embassy in Bern a call. They could be definitive and would have answered questions like this before. Their number is 031 357 70 11.

I doubt anyone here would know the answer to your question. Last I "heard" was you could only import your car from overseas for 1 year (unless you're a diplomat with status), and either had to send it back or have it crushed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM
mfreeman17
Mark Freeman
94 D90

[QUOTE Your friend with the silver one didn't happen to be in Grindelwald over New Year's this year? With a big family (5 kids seats in the back)? QUOTE]

Actually yes, he was there - small world. Thanks for the number, I will try it out...
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:42 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Cool, I took pics of his truck. The amount of car seats in that thing was nuts. My GF and I were there visiting my family.

If you find out, please post back or PM. My parents are moving back stateside in a few years and will have the same issues.
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
mfreeman17
Mark Freeman
94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
I doubt you can but good luck. If you need a "fix" of AZ offroading, drop me a line. I will e-mail you some AZ 4x4 trip photo's!
I guess it deleted my last post - but thanks for the invite...next time.

I like your pic - I went to the coke ovens over Christmas break when I was back in AZ visiting family. Though you might like the time delay pic we took at night...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CokeOven13.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2936  
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Whatever you import into the US must pass the rules of today in the US. Go to the embassy and they will give you the regulations. Older than 25 years - liberal rules to enter the car. Less than 25 years old, very strick and the Defender fails many safety points.
2 things to think about: 1. can I legally get it into the US,keep it and drive on roads here, 2. Can I get it insured.
That gives me the idea - call your old US insurance company and ask them what thier regs are.

This is a story line that has manymanymany threads on the site and we are all over the place. Look at the last few months and you will see a line about someone getting a huge fine for trying to sneak one in.
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
You just can't do it - it has to be 25 years old - that said i saw a peugeot 207 convertible outside my Washington DC office window today and it did not have diplomatic plates. Maybe temp import.
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:21 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
It is my limited understanding that as a foriegn visitor you can bring your car in for a limited time, somthing like you can have it for a year but it must be sent back. Lots of Europeans bring there cars over for year long tours but they cant keep them here or sell them here at least not legaly. I could be wrong but thats what I understand.
Old April 9th, 2005, 01:26 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I would agree with Kevin, that is my understanding too. Example, when driving to Mexico you need to fill out paper work and must show it when you leave. They want to make sure you are not selling your vehicle during your stay. I have heard the US has the same policy. I spoke to a customs broker about buying a vehicle and sending it to the US, she told me not to even bother. The regulations were so strict you would most likely end up having to ship it back to where you bought it. She only recommended it if you were willing to take that chance and waste the money on shipping round trip, my guesstimate would be close to $2000 each way. I did have the idea of Puerto rico though. While on a recent trip to San Juan I saw a Disco with a San Juan dealership spare tire cover. This got me curious if they sold Defenders, I never called. I was curious as to the importation laws for bringing a vehicle in from PR, since it is almost the 51st State. Something to look into.
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM
toolman
Nebojsa Cabrilo

Last two responces are correct. I am Serbian immigrant and have been looking into inporting one into US as well. The rules are, import ANYTHING for 1 year, no regulations, no nothing. But after that, you have to
1. Bring it up to US standards (can't imagine how much would that cost)
2. Ship it back to switc.
3. Have it distroyed in the us !?!?!

I've been looking into loopholes and can't find any.
Old April 9th, 2005, 10:48 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

From all the posts that importing has been talked about on I am about to the point where i believe its virtually impossible to do.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I believe there may have been a loophole that permitted american military to bring back a vehicle if they were stationed overseas for a long time (2 yrs?).
But I think it was also closed relatively recently if it did exist.
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Being military, I can assure you the loophole was closed if it ever exited under the pre 1990's importation regs (which were much more liberal, and explain why there are a lot more "grey market" cars from the 80's)

Something that may help propogate confusion is the military exemption from the 2.5% import duty.
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I found the US automotic importation guidelines.
Just posted on the help thread - guidelines are 43 pages of MS word asking Chris how to post.

So... coming soon your beadtime reading and an end to this an other import threads.

Oh, and it is not good. 25 years is the magic number.
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:30 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
I found the US automotic importation guidelines.
Just posted on the help thread - guidelines are 43 pages of MS word asking Chris how to post.

So... coming soon your beadtime reading and an end to this an other import threads.

Oh, and it is not good. 25 years is the magic number.
So 2008 and you can start importing old and very rusty 90's and 110's
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
So 2008 and you can start importing old and very rusty 90's and 110's

Yes, they'll be old, but they'll be genuine Defenders and fairly inexpensive (Hopefully the dollar will get stronger in the U.K.)... So say you pay $5k for a D110/90 in the U.K. {or hell, maybe Mexico and just drive it back} (I might get a pickup) then another $10k restoring it... That's still not bad... even if it came out to $20k... The D would be sweet, because you'd know what you did to it.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Maybe I should start stock piling and restoring them
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Found the link - is a seperate thread - on rules to import.
Take a look

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, import