Importing a 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:24 AM
ashyuk
David Ashforth
None

Arrow Importing a 110

Hi everyone, new to the forum here, first post...

I'm a Brit who has lived in the US since 2008 and have recently become a citizen

However I am dearly missing seeing/driving/modifying my Defender 110. I've been driving my wife's Ford Escape and it doesn't seem to have the same je ne sais quoi

So I gave my Dad some cash and he went and bought me a 110 to ship out here. Its an amazing find... LHD 1985 Diesel, 9000m on the clock (yes really), EX MOD (Dad's ex army), 2 owners (MOD + my Dad now), kept in a dry warehouse, no rust, no scratches... a beauty.

So now I'm bringing it here... I have contacted a few RI's and also sent an email to Doug Crowther... Waiting for replies.

I'm hoping to get it to the East coast (Florida?) where my Dad will collect it and drive it to California (he said he wanted to). If we can't do that I'll just get it trucked.

I noticed there were some people on the forum who might want to share a container, I am considering RORO but if it makes sense to share a container then great, contact me.

Any advice for a first time importer?

Is it true that I don't have to pass the CA smog because it is a Diesel older than 1997... and don't need to get EPA or DOT certification because it is older than 21/25 years old?

I'm glad I found this forum, I've been reading it for a while, but first time poster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 07:01 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Doug is one of the most highly respected importers around here. Be careful with the diesel in CA from what I can gather they aren't allowing new registrations.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:27 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Doug is one of the most highly respected importers around here. Be careful with the diesel in CA from what I can gather they aren't allowing new registrations.
He is right about Doug. He is the best at what he does. Money well spent. Welcome to the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 08:03 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Here is some info on smog cert in CA. Seems the 1997 exemption only applies to vehicle with gross vehicle weights of 14000lbs and above, otherwise exempt vehicles are 1975 or older.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Read user navydevildoc's thread here about California reg.
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
X3 on Uncle Douglas! Concrats and welcome, contact Doug and let him do his thing, I and many here have used him and he is the best at what he does. He is extremely knowledgable and will guide you through the process worry free. Money well spent.

When the time comes and your dad opts for a trip across this great country, make sure you keep us updated as there some are great members all along the way for plenty of advice and help if needed.

Keep us updated and let's see some pictures of your new truck. We love pictures.
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:05 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David,
Your email received @ 3:45am this morning. Response sent this morning . Sorry for the delay.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:40 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dro View Post

"Keyword(s): Import"

"Search took .52 second"

"Showing results 1 to 25 of 47"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	86244

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
Here is some info on smog cert in CA. Seems the 1997 exemption only applies to vehicle with gross vehicle weights of 14000lbs and above, otherwise exempt vehicles are 1975 or older.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535
I don't think you read that close enough. It says that diesel vehicles 1997 or older OR vehicles with a gvwr of 14,000+. Therefore a diesel land rover older than 1997 would be exempt. The only thing I'm not clear on is if it needs to be sent to a BAR official to determine if it is in fact diesel. If so, I don't know if being a non EPA engine will be a problem or not. I bet it could depend on the technician doing the test.
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:48 AM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

I would never ship a truck to the east coast. That's where customs is uber sensitive as 99% of rover imports go there.

I imported my 86 110 myself and brought it in through Long Beach. Easy as pie...

That being said, if your truck isn't a legit import, it probably won't matter which port you use.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I went RORO NJ. Talk about easy as pie. I think its easy to get lost in the horror stories until you remember that an original truck with matching numbers and engine is fairly straightforward for customs agents. Additionally RORO ports see so many custom and one off vehicles (when I was there they needed a transport company to settle tariffs on a helicopter, i think they needed like $50K) there are far fewer red flags then with port containers.

my 2 cents
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

25 year DOT exemption no longer applies in Cal. Import Defender registration is not going to happen here anymore unless you have a brother or cousin that works at DMV. Sent you a PM, give me a call.
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:06 AM
ashyuk
David Ashforth
None

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the replies!

I'm just waiting to hear back from my father about the status of the vehicle. We are getting it fully checked over first. I only want to import it if it can be done legitimately and in line with all laws.

Everything looks quite positive so far, apart from @jayz who said Cal laws might make registration difficult/impossible... I'll call you tomorrow jayz

Pix to follow. Thanks again everyone!
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM
ashyuk
David Ashforth
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Any ideas why? Got a link to the law?

That'll be just my luck

------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2013 09:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Read user navydevildoc's thread here about California reg.
Leaving myself some breadcrumbs, here is that thread - http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29616
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:37 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

I have a Defender diesel in Port Hueneme right now waiting for clearance of customs. I'm hoping to register it in California, but my backup plan is Utah. I'll let you know when I know more, but right now it is just a waiting game.
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Yeah I'd like to hear about this California diesel registration stuff too. I heard a rumor that they were changing the diesel exemption, but hadn't heard they just straight up shut it off.
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
This from the dmv website seems straightforward

"Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?
Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
Electric
Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
Motorcycle
Trailer"

BUT in classic CA fashion, it's not that easy ... This PDF seems to say that now all Diesel engines need to at least meet the diesel emission standards that were in place in 2010 ...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdies.../multirule.pdf
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:33 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

It's not about the Ca emissions in this case. You can not directly import into Ca anymore unless the vehicle is from the late 60s or older UNLESS IT MEETS US DOT STANDARDS. The 25 year exemption doesn't apply in Ca. It either has to have the DOT inspection sticker or a letter from Land Rover stating it meets all US safety standards. I just went through this. After having plates for a year I got a letter from the newly formed Import Task Force telling me I either got one of the before mentioned or I should proceed with selling the car to someone outside of Ca. You gotta love it here. They just closed the hi cap magazine loophole here too as of Jan 1
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:48 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
When I bought mine I talked to the DMV and AAA and both said as long as it had a title from another state that said diesel it should not be a problem - they said if I tried to directly import it would be a different story and one no one seemed to know yes or no it wouldn't be possible to register. So I went with the path of least resistance and bought a truck with a title in another state making it as the gal at DMV said "Just another used car"

it was worth the extra cost to buy one here knowing I could register it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, import