Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 27th, 2004, 01:41 AM
XD90
James Morgan
1986 Ex MOD XD90

Question Importing

Hi

im in the process of moving to the states and i really gotta bring my landy with me, anyone imported from UK ->US i've been told there are all kinds of things i must do to it first and i wanna get em outta the way and sorted asap

after all i dont wanna be driving a Jeep when i get there

Any help on this one would be grat
Thanks
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Take the engine,transmission, and transfer case out. Have them shipped separately from the body, at different times. Put the truck back together stateside and get it registered as a kit car. Of course this depends on what state you intend to live in, as DMV rules differ from state to state.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you are coming for a year or less you can temporarily import it without modifying it.

If you are moving here permanently, then importing it as a fully-compliant vehicle would be something near impossible, and if not impossible, sorrowfully expensive. I paid almost 10k USD to import a car that needed almost no modifications.

Shipping the major components and reassembling around a junked core from the US is probably the most legit approach. All you need is a NAS bulkhead (and title document) to carry the VIN, and your 86 d90 would techically become a 94, 95, or 97 NAS d90 - albeit a highly modified one.

Some go the route of using Series VIN's and titles, and even though its easy to get away with, its way-illegal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
XD90
James Morgan
1986 Ex MOD XD90

thank you

thats just the sort of answer i was looking for .. do you know anyone who has done this?

Also at the monet its got the standard UK MOD spec 2.5 N/A Engine in need of a rebuil but i was thinking of putting the 2.8 TGV engine (the remanufactured version of the 300tdi around the same power output as the TD5 without the electrics crap in it) or possible ROVER V8 poss a recon rangerover or similar now if im gonna take the engine and box out here i might as well dump em and get another shipperd over OR? would it be better/cheaper / easier to get an Engine over there?

any info on this would be great as before i read this post i was told it was practically impossible unless it was over 25 years old

Thanks
James
(going to go back to trying to post a pic of my XD90)
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:06 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Personally, I would stick with a diesel for the fuel economy and potentially longer life. The drawback is the lack of support for the Rover diesels in the US. You might encounter some issues getting your truck licensed since petrol was the only option for coil sprung Rovers.

There are Rover mechanics that will work on the diesels but you'll have to search them out. You may end up ordering some of your parts from the UK.

The limit on importing vehicles is 20 years in the US and 15 in Canada. Anything older is fine to bring in. Anything newer will present you with challenges.

Good luck.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ok, lets be perfectly clear- people frequently get the 20/25 year thing mixed up, and here's why:

There are two agencies that you have to deal with if you are importing a car, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department Of Transportation.

Unmodified vechicles which are 21 years old may be imported without making it emissions compliant to satisfy the EPA - here is the policy reference: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

Note that it is relatively easy to demonstrate a vechicle is EPA compliant - it simply involves a very expensive emissions test. Of course if the vehicle fails then you are screwed.

The DOT has its own set of regs, which state that a vechile under 25 years of age must be made compliant with DOT safety regs. If the vehicle being imported didnt have a US equivalent during the same model year, then the only way to demonstrate compliance is destructive testing. Policy references: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/index.html

James - from your stand-point, the difficult thing will be getting a title (like a MOT) to run your truck on the road. Customs wont even let a vehicle out of the port if it hasnt been released by the DOT & EPA.

I'm certain the most economical thing would be to buy a NAS 90 and modify it to your taste. If you have lots of good bits on your 90, just bring them along to install, or bring them along to sell for a profit.
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey James, Do you know where in the US you would like to move to?
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM
XD90
James Morgan
1986 Ex MOD XD90

hi

Jim - well i looked at buying a NAS 90 BUT they are way to expensive for the cash i have you guys are paying about 3- 4 x the amount the UK equivalant spec cars are going for for example a mate is selling his 90 (stock) 1997 300tdi with 30k on the clock and a new R380 G/box all body is mint and no corosian anywhere its selling for 5kú roughly around 10-11k ish $ and with mine as good as i know it is full rebuild in 1996 then mothballed by the army till i bought it in 02 its a cracking truck and if it costs me 10k$ to get it to the states i wont be too unhappy looking at it at the moment tho i might be tempted just to do the tempory import for now tho but i wont be moving till after christmas so have pleanty of time to look into all options

Mike - im going to be going to austin (Lake Travis more than likely)

im looking forward to it now

James
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD90

Mike - im going to be going to austin (Lake Travis more than likely)
Give me a holler when you get in town. We can show you a couple places to get your baby dirty. Sadly there's no 'real' wheeling in town and you've got to drive a few hours to get decent offroading. We'd also be happy to show you around Lake Travis on our boat.
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM
XD90
James Morgan
1986 Ex MOD XD90

yeah that would be cool one thing tho what sorta terrain is out there? im all set up for mud here we dont have many rock crawlers dont even have a suspension upgrade as yet but im looking at either the ogden air suspension kit (all 4 wheels independently adjustable from the cab as low as the bumpstops or +15 at the front and +15inch at the rear) but for simplicity im also looking at scorpians extreme suspension package . plus i wanna get as much gear on here as possible ive already started collecting spares as im not sure of availibility

and the boat ride sounds good im moving over with my girlfreind her family has a lake house on lake travis and a boat dock ive just been told

so is it true is austin realy weird??

James
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:32 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Naaa, keep your XD. That's badass. I've used special construction registration before on a motorcycle.

THing is, GET YOUR LANDY STATESIDE, and then you'll find the way.

I'd suggest talking to wild George over at RoversDownSouth. He brings em in all the time.

www.roversdownsouth.com
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Check out EastCoastRovers.com. They have an extensive page on importing a Landy into the states. All said and done, it's a very risky venture if you ask me.

EwS
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/imports.html

(i've been meaning to introduce myself for a while ... I'm the new owner of ECR4 )
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

So Noah, what's the story with diesel engines like the 2.8 Powerstroke, can they be installed legally in a LR?

John

PS: Congrats and good luck with the business!
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cool Noah. How is that thing?
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Honestly don't know. ECR4 still has the 300 tdi (which I really love). I haven't spoken with Mike about the 2.8 and legality. I think he was planning on putting it in ECR5.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Cool Noah. How is that thing?
AMAZING! I am totally in love with it. It's just so huge and unstoppable. So many kick ass things about it. Mike really did do a pro job with everything. I have some big pictures at home I should post.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:24 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Bottom line up front: Individuals may do whatever they want to their vehicles within the rules of their local jurisdictions. Businesses may not do whatever they want because they are limited by the provisions of the Clean Air Act.

Longer explanation follows for those interested:
I'm not a lawyer, but I am capable of reading printed text, so here is my understanding of the legality of what the EPA calls "engine swapping."

The EPA has a policy (dating to the early 70's origins of the Clean Air Act) stating that original specification engines and their accompanying emissions control equipment cannot be modified unless there is a "substantial basis" for believing that the modified system has the same or less emissions as the original configuration. The EPA clarified this circa 1976 by addressing "engine swapping" as being specifically a violation of the CAA. "Substantial basis" is also give a very tight definititon.

Interestingly enough, violating the clean air act is not a crime - it is a civil offense. The EPA will "sue" businesses for violating it. Not surprisingly, the EPA gets along well with the DOJ, so prosecuting persistent violators is not difficult.

Go back to your high school civics class and you may recall that states have jurisdiction over the actions of individuals except in certain exceptions (i.e. you have to pay your federal taxes). I believe that the EPA regulates business activities under the long-held provision that the Federal Govt may regulate interstate commerce. Individuals do not fall under its sway, and are largely immune.

So, by installing a non-type-approved (engine swapping) engine, you may be violating the CAA (only if emissions increase), but the EPA will not know or care unless your local jurisdiction does (through emissions tests).
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
yeah that would be cool one thing tho what sorta terrain is out there? im all set up for mud here we dont have many rock crawlers
Locally it's a mix of mud and limestone scrabble. Not a lot of big rocks. Can be tough climbing as the limestone rocks act like ball bearings. There are some decent rock crawling areas fairly nearby.

Quote:
and the boat ride sounds good im moving over with my girlfreind her family has a lake house on lake travis and a boat dock ive just been told
The lake is running high this year and is beautiful. Water temp is around 84. Check out this page for pics we took of Devil's Cove on Lake Travis on the 4th of July. http://www.nnin.net/gallery/devils The lake is a mad house on party weekends.

Quote:
so is it true is austin realy weird??
Not as funky as it likes to think it is but it's pretty cool. It's grown up a lot in the last 10 years. It's no longer the sleepy little college town it once was.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:54 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Noah. I always loved that truck... Post some new updated pics. Will you ever be running the soft top?

Randy
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

pics: http://www.zilch.cx/pics/d90/
Not so great, but something.

I'd really like to spend the time to switch over to the soft top, but with the weather in Maine lately it doesn't seem worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import