Importing 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Importing 110

So I'm looking into importing a 110 rolling chassis with 300TDI, R380, and LT230. It also has the fuel tank and some other small parts. However, there is no body on it. Does anybody know if it's possible to import this thing w/o a problem? Has anybody imported a similar thing, if so how much did it cost you?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
So I'm looking into importing a 110 rolling chassis with 300TDI, R380, and LT230. It also has the fuel tank and some other small parts. However, there is no body on it. Does anybody know if it's possible to import this thing w/o a problem? Has anybody imported a similar thing, if so how much did it cost you?

Thanks
depends on how customs looks at it. can you remove the engine and tranny first? If so it would be easy. My guess is it would make it as parts as long as they are in a good mood.
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
TXRover
Joseph Reseland

Find a good Customs Broker. They should be able to provide you with an HTS Classification and detemine if a rolling chassis with attached engine and transmission qualifies as parts. If it does not, you will have to separate the engine and trans from the chassis and import it on different bill of lading numbers. This way, they are on different Customs entries and will be processed as parts.

Importing golf bags is much the same process. If all of the parts are together in the container, it is considered a completed bag from Customs point of view. If the different parts are in a different container, they are considered parts. customs duty on a complered bag is roughly 14.5% and duty on parts is roughly 4.5%.

HIH,

Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90

Thanks
Sounds like it's "put together" enough that if you can just get it across the border, Hippert could drive it the rest of the way!

I can dig up the name of a broker here in town I used to get an engine cleared thru customs, if you're interested. They were very knowledgable and helpful.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Monkeyboy

Like Briggs said ... and I'm surprised Mister Pendleton hasn't chimed in ... it seems that the drivetrain & axles need to be separated from the frame.

KAA
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Well we found the frame in Kuwait, and they don't want much for the it as it sat there for a long time. Now I know shipping will kill me, but it will still be cheaper than buying a rolling chassis w/o drivetrain here in the US.

Rod, if you can dig up the broker number that would be great.

Jeff, where is this frame located? and how much?

Thanks
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Monkeyboy

You've seen AlohaRover's homebuilt frame, right?

I can't remember if you have "issues" with that in CO or not? If has wheels in Iowa we can get a license plate for it.
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes I have seen it, I started a project just like it last year but lost interest due to the amount of work needed so I gave my stuff to Dave Lucas and Keith for free.

My friend called me and told me about the rolling chassis so that got me interested.

I'm not worried about the title and plates.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, import