Importation Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:00 PM
spanto
peter
None

Importation Question

I found a 110 in Canada with a 200Tdi. Th owner thinks it can be imported but I thought this was a definite no.

Any clarification?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
EPA says no.You might get lucky @ the border, especially if you try it @ night...

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:14 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
EPA says no.You might get lucky @ the border, especially if you try it @ night...
Will you just be turned back or will it be impounded if they don't like it?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 09:28 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanto View Post
I found a 110 in Canada with a 200Tdi. Th owner thinks it can be imported but I thought this was a definite no. Any clarification?
Ooo; I'd give it a go in RI; they let me get a registration and plates and insurance without inspection.

Fly in, bolt on your plates, drive it home... Not sure they would even question you. But the US border guys can be hardasses. I wouldn't recommend going too late at night though. Once, at 1 am I got hassled to no end
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:32 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Ooo; I'd give it a go in RI; they let me get a registration and plates and insurance without inspection.

Fly in, bolt on your plates, drive it home... Not sure they would even question you. But the US border guys can be hardasses. I wouldn't recommend going too late at night though. Once, at 1 am I got hassled to no end
If you can get it registered in this fashion, I would say you are in like Flynn. There would be no reason for them to inspect anything unless you are bringing back Cuban cigars or some left handed cigarettes.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm sorry...are we all assuming that they haven't seen the video of the 110 being crushed? Oh wait that's right...they are the one that MADE it!

That said, the above advice seems like a total gamble - if I was a betting man I wouldn't even go anywhere near that.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 19th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to declare it when you cross the border, unless you enjoy jail.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post

Not an original thought. The problem with flying out with your plates and driving back across the border is this not too recent development known as plate recognition software. Trust me they are using it. If you never leave how are you going to come back ?

What would your response be when they take a look and the VIN doesn't match the registration @ the border ? Just saying, I deal with these guys daily and they are far pretty damn good @ what they do.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 19th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just import and declare properly. If they refuse it you just take it back to canada. If you try and bring it in on the wrong plate without declaring it and get caught you will be charged with smuggling.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
In my state if you provide a foreign registration as proof of ownership they will require you to produce a US Customs form showing that it cleared. If you smuggle it in then you would also have to create a bogus customs form. Our DMV folk probably don't see enough of them to spot a fake, so it might just work.
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
In my state if you provide a foreign registration as proof of ownership they will require you to produce a US Customs form showing that it cleared. If you smuggle it in then you would also have to create a bogus customs form. Our DMV folk probably don't see enough of them to spot a fake, so it might just work.
Might work, but also "might" land you in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Without knowing the year of the truck, there's no way to tell what the real question here is.

If the truck is >= 25 years old, then the real question is, "does the same scrutiny to originality apply to trucks coming across the border from Canada as the trucks that come in on boats at ports"
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Make the purchase conditional on the truck being allowed import into the US. Have the current owner follow you to the border crossing (or someplace close by) and wait for a call that you are thru or your return with the truck. Fill out all the proper paperwork and declare the truck for import and see if they let it thru or not. Worst case, they turn you back, you return the truck and you fly home. If the truck is worth that, then go for it, if not, don't bother with the hassle.

I have a friend who recently imported a truck from Canada with a 300Tdi and all went thru with no issues what so ever. He is clueless as to any importation issues and the only reason he had the PO wait and the deal contingent is because I told him I didn't think he would be allowed in. I was wrong.

It all comes down to if the truck is worth the the hassle and gamble.

Just my $0.02
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:53 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Might work, but also "might" land you in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison.
Oh if you were caught passing a falsified federal document to the state government you might get pounded twice by the dual sovereigns.
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have said too much already but if you were seriously considering buying this truck posting here was a complete mistake.

200tdi's were not available in defenders in 1989.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 19th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I actually know a guy that could bring it in for you.

edit edit edit
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I actually know a guy that could bring it in for you.

edit edit edit
too funny

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 20th, 2014, 12:13 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Uncle Douglas <----- I really need your advise and help. I'll pm you if you don't mind.
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:07 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Not an original thought. The problem with flying out with your plates and driving back across the border is this not too recent development known as plate recognition software. Trust me they are using it. If you never leave how are you going to come back ? What would your response be when they take a look and the VIN doesn't match the registration @ the border ? Just saying, I deal with these guys daily and they are far pretty damn good @ what they do.
Understood but the registration would match the vin would match the plates. It would just need an inspection but most states allow you several days before you are required to have one. I agree that it is certainly a gamble but you can mitigate risk by having all your paperwork in order

I think perhaps you were all thinking I was suggesting 'throwing some plates on' I am not that naive
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:31 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Sounds like you are saying registering the D-110 in the states and have tags issued prior to importing it? So what is the recourse if the truck fails inspection at a later date? Drive it back north of the boarder and give the PO his truck back with a US title to have him reregister it back in Canada? Two transactions and two sales taxes? That PO would need to have a lot of faith. That, or the additional cost of a healthy retainer to cover the potential hassle and expenses on his end in addition to the purchase price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import