Import rules - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

Import rules

Anyone have any first hand experience on what is ok when it comes to EPA rules?

I'm getting conflicting information in regards to the engine aspect, and what is ok, what is not ok. Is a 25+ defender with an engine swap of similar spec, ok as long as the engine is 21+ ? Example would be a 19j (diesel turbo) swapped for an 11L or 12L (turbo diesel 200tdi). Same type motor, but newer spec, but still older than 21 years. Does customs decide based on vin/engine serial number only, or is an age documented motor ok?

I'm going to call EPA again tomorrow, and try to get more info, but the guy I talked to previously wasn't much help. I've been trying to get in contact with an actual customs agent to see how they interpret the rules but have had no luck as of yet.

If anyone has any firsthand experience id appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Call Doug Crowther (Uncle Douglas, here) at Divingcreekimports.com…he's a great source of credibly information...
Old April 13th, 2014, 02:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You can also search for the what's legal thread. It's a sticky at the top of one of the forum sections here. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2014, 10:26 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

the word NOW for DOT EPA and CBP is entirely ORIGINAL NO engine swaps. UNLESS same type that was in the Land rover.. and NO RHD TO LHD swaps , vin tampering and NO new GAVI frames.. also considered VIN TAMPERING.. have letter from head of legal of NHTSA I can share with you.. later bc
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:42 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
the word NOW for DOT EPA and CBP is entirely ORIGINAL NO engine swaps. UNLESS same type that was in the Land rover.. and NO RHD TO LHD swaps , vin tampering and NO new GAVI frames.. also considered VIN TAMPERING.. have letter from head of legal of NHTSA I can share with you.. later bc
I mean that's been the deal for the last several years... I think some folks just got lucky a few times and people start thinking the rules have changed

------ Follow up post added April 14th, 2014 04:51 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-7 View Post
I'm going to call EPA again tomorrow, and try to get more info, but the guy I talked to previously wasn't much help. I've been trying to get in contact with an actual customs agent to see how they interpret the rules but have had no luck as of yet.
Don't waste your time calling the EPA; those guys don't want to hear about your interpretation or reading of 'the rules'. Most of them have no idea what your talking about and are most likely reading the same FAQ sheet that you are that's available online. I mean they oversee so many facets of import and export your defender inquiries aren't going to be a high priority for ANYONE at the EPA.

Most people advise bringing the stock truck over then sourcing the engine swap... The merc diesel is an interesting swap or source a 200/300 Tdi stateside. Trying to source a truck with the options you want and the rust you don't is a crapshoot anyway, especially with the marketplace knowing the price that export trucks are getting on this side of the pond.

The only distinction I would make if I were to import again would be diesel or petrol as making a swap is a PITA in most states
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not actually interested in an engine swap, (or newer bodies or fames), its just that most of the vehicles I'm Finding already have one. Looks like ill be swapping out an engine to something original back across the pond. Just makes logistics a bit more complicated.

Thanks again!
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
I mean that's been the deal for the last several years... I think some folks just got lucky a few times and people start thinking the rules have changed
Both EPA's and DOT's import restrictions have remained unchanged since 1989 actually. The issue with an epa approved engine type transplant is that even with those, the engine has to be installed in the Land Rover exactly as approved for the original manufacturer so any egr, cat,evap, etc type parts from the original donor must be installed and working and even then EPA may take issue with it through the Custom's officer handling your entry. I have actually found EPA's import compliance guy far more easy to deal with/correspond with than DOT's Chief of Import Compliance Coleman Sach's and his crew. That said epa's issues with imports are considerably simpler than the line in the sand/decisions DOT finds themselves having to draw when a Customs officer sends them photo's of a restored/modified/updated truck and says "what do you think ?".

What has changed is that enforcement was selective and with the current administration things are down to the letter of the law.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Bill COX i missed YOU at Uwharrie. i WOULD haved LOVED to meet YOU face to FACE! PLEaSE attend NEXT TIME. edit. edit. later rr
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymow View Post
bill cox i missed you at uwharrie. I would haved loved to meet you face to face! Please attend next time. Edit. Edit. Later rr
+1000
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:20 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Don't call the EPA! I see people write the ATF about gun building interpretations and one inspectors misunderstanding becomes a new law. Call Doug, read the "What's Legal" thread and go forward but DO NOT call any federal agencies for opinions please.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

daddymow.. I have run the trails at uwharrie...great place.. they have mere 40 trail run you will have to try .. btw. I find the likes of coleman and his guys real easy to deal with.I do NOT even bother with the EPA guys. anymore.. they NEVER answer the phone or will return your calls. like some of MY EX wifes.. later bc
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:23 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Both EPA's and DOT's import restrictions have remained unchanged since 1989 actually. The issue with an epa approved engine type transplant is that even with those, the engine has to be installed in the Land Rover exactly as approved for the original manufacturer so any egr, cat,evap, etc type parts from the original donor must be installed and working and even then EPA may take issue with it through the officer handling your entry. I have actually found EPA's import compliance guy far more easy to deal with/correspond with than DOT's Coleman Sach's and his crew. That said epa's issues with imports are considerably simpler than the line in the sand DOT finds themselves having to draw when a Customs officer sends them photo's of a restored/modified/updated truck and says what do you think ?

What has changed is that enforcement was selective and with the current administration things are down to the letter of the law.
As always, my spotty response has been clarified with factual information, cheer Doug
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
daddymow.. I have run the trails at uwharrie...great place.. they have mere 40 trail run you will have to try .. btw. I find the likes of coleman and his guys real easy to deal with.I do NOT even bother with the EPA guys. anymore.. they NEVER answer the phone or will return your calls. like some of EX wifes.. later bc
Since you are a key board ninja you should email them. For my purposes I see little value in a verbal conversation with them, whereas if I get a written opinion prior to shipment, that is something I can forward to the entry officer if I hit a bump in the road. Both agencies respond timely, one has an attitude the other doesn't.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

Like coleman.s letter says..the land rovers MUST be entirely original . what do you NOT understand.??
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I don't understand the rules for capitalization. Can we start a thread on that?
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:19 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I don't understand the rules for capitalization. Can we start a thread on that?
Oh god, don't get him started. I thought he was gone forever but no such luck.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Like coleman.s letter says..the land rovers MUST be entirely original . what do you NOT understand.??
I don't understand why a troll like you continues to lurk here.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:41 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

just to piss you off daddymow..dont forget. I have only been importing cars for FORTY years now.. more than every else put together.. take note. I do NOT have dozens of land rovers SEIZED or in jail.. like another importer in Vir.. or NC.. bc
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:44 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I don't understand why a troll like you continues to lurk here.
by definition trolls lurk; it wouldn't be right if he just, say, in an adult fashion, apologized for his past behavior and put his best foot forward in being reasonable and democratic in his forum posts. No, no, Mr Bill here will continue his pattern of barely coherent posts coupled with SPONTANEOUS capitalization to ANNOY and entertain US all.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

yes.. I will jtomchik..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import