Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:45 AM
RatBMF
Keith
1989/Land Rover 90 County

Registry
Import issues

New to this forum and currently stationed in the UK. Picked up a 1989 Land Rover 90 County V8 sitting on original chassis, engine and transmission are original as well. I am hoping to ship her back when and if the Feds ever let me leave! Anyway, looking for stories of any issues dealing with importation under the 25 year rule. Have seen the obscene video of them crushing a defender with dodgy VIN. And stories of people having to reimport their LR back to the UK because of trying to slip new chassis or new engines into the US.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:08 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Search. This is a once-a-week topic, covered ad-nauseum.

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Search the words in your title and you should get a ton of great info after reading through a few of the threads. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Even if we created a sticky with links to all the importing threads people would still ask...

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:59 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatBMF View Post
New to this forum and currently stationed in the UK. Picked up a 1989 Land Rover 90 County V8 sitting on original chassis, engine and transmission are original as well. I am hoping to ship her back when and if the Feds ever let me leave! Anyway, looking for stories of any issues dealing with importation under the 25 year rule. Have seen the obscene video of them crushing a defender with dodgy VIN. And stories of people having to reimport their LR back to the UK because of trying to slip new chassis or new engines into the US.
Thanks
Go thru Brandon VPC and you will not have any issues. I shipped four trucks thru there when I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall. Your truck especially being 100% original will have no issues.

You should also take your truck to Richard at Glencoyne in Thetford to have him look it over and do a service. Very knowledgeable guy and very local to you. Mansfield 4x4 in Bury is also pretty good but more expensive. Both shops do great work though. Richard specializes in older series vehicles and earlier 90s/110s. He's your man. Both will also do work via the VAT free scheme from base.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The short answer is to call Doug Crowther at dividing creek imports and for what I consider a modest fee he will bring it in for you if it is complaint, and if it is not, he will tell you that and won't charge you anything.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The short answer is to call Doug Crowther at dividing creek imports and for what I consider a modest fee he will bring it in for you if it is complaint, and if it is not, he will tell you that and won't charge you anything.
OP is going to have 1 free import as DOD overseas and will just have to deal with specific ports and slightly longer shipping times. Benefit is the form that base security forces gives counts as a title and registering is a thousand times easier than the average import.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
OP is going to have 1 free import as DOD overseas and will just have to deal with specific ports and slightly longer shipping times. Benefit is the form that base security forces gives counts as a title and registering is a thousand times easier than the average import.
Good to know for the military folks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import