Old February 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Someone posted a photo of where they stamped X's over and then stamped correct digits under, why would using a grinder be any more difficult to believe? It would be nice to see a photo of the VIN, to see how the lettering compares though.
A grind conceals a change, stamping x's and correct numbers does not. Changing the latest 4 makes no sense as an incorrect designation change. It merely changes the vehicle number within a build series.

My guess is the OP probably restored a 'ringer' namely a car that had its identity changed at some point in the past.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Tyson I don't see anyone not trying to keep this truck from being crushed so far, so I'd lay off a little, as I think you're laying into at least one guy who has aided in importing likely a few hundred vehicles at this point. It would certainly be a shame to see such a nice vehicle lost because of an oversight on your part before it was shipped, or because of a misinterpretation from "the detective". I think some people here have uncovered a few inconsistencies in your story and have just broadly commented on those, as most would who have taken time out of their day to try to assist without much to go off of. Land Rover was never known for quality control, and if I were you I'd be reaching out to anyone I could at corporate, the British Motor Heritage Museum, or really anyone who could potentially provide historical expertise, rather than some info found on the Internet.
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Have you attempted to email Land Rover directly?
Also, what about that British Heritage website?
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2015, 03:55 PM
C & C Rovers
Tyson
1973 Series III

Registry
Hi Joshua, yes I did send off for a certified copy of the build sheet from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust however it wont be here for at least a month. Also this does not really help me much as the issue is not what the number was when it left the factory. My title and registration and other paperwork have been deemed by the detective as valid and legit. But it's what caused the number to be "re-stamped" that I need to solve. Thanks for your input. I'll be phoning Rover tomorrow.
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Tyson,

Hmmm....I'm intrigued by your case. Unfortunately, I'm pretty well maxed out on pro bono hours at the moment.

As circumstances would have it, I will be in your neck of the woods next week (Daytona/Ormond Beach area). How about this.....you are welcome to send me a PM, but only with the understanding that doing so does not constitute any agreement regarding any legal representation on my part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C Rovers View Post
Hi Joshua, yes I did send off for a certified copy of the build sheet from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust however it wont be here for at least a month. Also this does not really help me much as the issue is not what the number was when it left the factory. My title and registration and other paperwork have been deemed by the detective as valid and legit. But it's what caused the number to be "re-stamped" that I need to solve. Thanks for your input. I'll be phoning Rover tomorrow.
Although a build sheet may be nice from them, I was pointing more toward the fact that they may have seen examples of the discrepancies the detective has found, and may be able to provide you with photos of such examples (if they exist), or provide other such expertise. What exactly was the number your chassis was "restamped" with?

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....n/#prettyPhoto
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I haven't run into any detectives, just customs officers. Once the entry officer decides to seize the vehicle its is no longer his case and you get sent to fines forfeitures and penalties. They are who you end up going to court with.Unfortunately you need an expert to say mis-stampings and corrections were common with Rover and that their record keeping was atrocious. While both were the case finding someone from Land Rover to say that isn't likely to happen. The assumption with Customs is always that someone is trying to get over on them. I hope you are able to satisfy the judge that the truck is what its supposed to be and prevail.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 10th, 2015, 06:00 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Not really speaking from personal experience... but even when numbers are ground off they can do acid etching and it shows up in the under layers of the metal... Orrrrr worst case the section of the frame can be x-rayed or the imprint sometimes can be viewed from behind.. If stamped hard enough it forms a negative on the reverse side.. If the car was restored it could simply appear that the frame was ground down or sanded as an act of exposing the numbers.. I have done this in the past so that the next layer of the painting process doesn't cover the numbers up completely..but it's usually best to media blast that section, that way it removes the rust and paint from the recesses of the numbers also... But not everyone does it this way in a pinch.. He needs to have better reason other than just saying it looks like it was ground down...if he is not answering I would say go to a higher level...although there is then the chance they get pissed and don't do anything in your favour.. They already think they are god and don't like to be challenged..
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have had many trucks where the acid trick has been used on the chassis VIN by either UK export or US import Customs. Hard to tell because it flash rusts pretty bad pretty fast after that's done. Always assumed it was US customs.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 10th, 2015, 06:07 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Then it should be definitive or inconclusive... Either way I should think it would be decided..
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:03 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Electron Microscopes Can Reveal Filed-Off Serial Numbers

This technique could be used to validate the claim that the numbers have been ground off. The originals could be detected if in fact that were the case.

Not sure how practical it would be to have it done ..
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:56 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
To all the naysayers, C&C Rovers won. Their RRC was released and cleared. Here is the 'restamped' VIN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3725746848.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	114941  
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:07 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Congrats...looks like the man on the stamping line had a couple too many brews at lunch time...
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:38 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
To all the naysayers, C&C Rovers won. Their RRC was released and cleared. Here is the 'restamped' VIN.
Awesome news!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 1st, 2015, 02:50 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That VIN does look odd, but it does not look restamped. It looks original, but drunk.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
That's amazing, I'm really glad he got it cleared!
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:42 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
where is the 1 in that serial #? (not a VIN)

How did they convince CBP to let it go? Did Will help with this?

Congrats, glad to see this truck was not needlessly "arrested" and destroyed
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Good news. I hope your release is as solid as can be. Would hate for CBP/Land Rover to come back for a second bite of the apple...

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice, import