I'm thinking of life/career changes and would love some fresh perspective! Thoughts? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 9th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Point taken, but what on earth was the job that being a wannabe rapper would disqualify you for? Sounds like he's lucky he didn't get it. Also, I've met Doug a few times and I don't think he has any closet rapping tendencies. But, I could be wrong!

Disclosure: I freestyle rapped once at a party and subsequently got kissed on the lips by Chloe Zevigny. Oops guess that is on my permanent record now...damn, hope I can still get hired somewhere if I ever leave this place...LOL.

Good luck, Doug, whatever you end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
Clean up your web presence before you start looking for a job. We had an interview scheduled with a guy and then I googled him and found all these youtube videos of him wanting to be a white rapper. We called him back and canceled the interview. The internet and college kids are a dangerous combination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

You could travel with a race team. i did that for 2 years. Fantastic, exhausting, fun & you meet the best people from everywhere. Great connections. Try the mid-level teams with some factory backing.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
You could travel with a race team. i did that for 2 years. Fantastic, exhausting, fun & you meet the best people from everywhere. Great connections. Try the mid-level teams with some factory backing.
What kind of race team did you work for? Sounds interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2013, 06:42 PM
redway77
Beatrix

South Florida Naples/ Marco island area is always hiring diesel mechanics for these crazy mega yachts down here. Might be something fun to do for the winter.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Thanks guys - I am pretty sure my "web presence" is decent. ha ha.

Cheers,
Doug
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:20 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Cuba is going to have a big economic boost sooner than we might know, think about it.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

It was a Porsche team in the American LeMans & GrandAm series. I think the two have merged so the budgets may be even bigger now. I remember our team would pay something like $20,000 a week just to feed the crew & the tire budget was just as bad. I mean big, the food wasn't bad.

To get a job like that, go to one of the races & get a Paddock Pass. Do not go up to the crew Fri, Sat or Sunday because they're killed with prep. But if you can go Wednesday morning, or after the races on Sunday.

Redway's suggestion is good too.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Clean up your web presence before you start looking for a job. We had an interview scheduled with a guy and then I googled him and found all these youtube videos of him wanting to be a white rapper. We called him back and canceled the interview. The internet and college kids are a dangerous combination.
Ironic as you may have just dirtied your web presence by publicly stating that you discriminated against a job applicant based on race and personal interests. Pretty sure that could get you sued.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
Thanks guys - I am pretty sure my "web presence" is decent. ha ha.

Cheers,
Doug
You sure about that? You are on dweb

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Ironic as you may have just dirtied your web presence by publicly stating that you discriminated against a job applicant based on race and personal interests. Pretty sure that could get you sued.
It is pretty common for employers to Google potential employees... "drunk selfies" and other behaviors could taint an employers view of you.

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I did not mean to hijack this thread. Our problem had nothing to do with outside interests or taste in music. We are looking for a permanent employee and this kid sends a resume saying he wants to work in our field but at the same time is posting on the internet about wanting a career in music or music producing. That makes us wonder how serious is he about our field and would we just be a stepping stone until he finds his dream job.
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I did not mean to hijack this thread. Our problem had nothing to do with outside interests or taste in music. We are looking for a permanent employee and this kid sends a resume saying he wants to work in our field but at the same time is posting on the internet about wanting a career in music or music producing. That makes us wonder how serious is he about our field and would we just be a stepping stone until he finds his dream job.
I think most people are not working in their dream job ... at least this guy want to to further his life and strive to differentiate himself. Did you take the time to ask him or just reject him based on internet postings?

Don't answer that it rhetorical .. but it does serve as a very good warning for those of us that post in the astronaut wannabee forums ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Makes sense Craig. No worries. I was just playing devils advocate. I wouldn't hire a good 70% of the trust fund yahoos at CU (I went to CU and spent 7 years in Boulder).
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Mtanzania
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(

Whatever you do please don't quit before completing your r380 to vw tdi 'kit' !! I've got my heart set on buying one from you:-)
Old October 11th, 2013, 10:48 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

lol. Yeah, let me act like a total tool online, do whatever I want outside of work, then expect to get a job with a privately held company where reputation means everything to its customers. Makes a ton of sense; kids, keep doing what makes you "happy." Fricken re-res'

Oh, and the last poll has 80 some percent of Americans disliking their jobs. In other words, we are lazy to epic proportions which explains our voting tendencies these days. WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION.

Sorry for the hijack OP, hope you find what you are looking for and find yourself in the 13% category.
Old October 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Thanks all. No worries on hijacking the thread as this is the kind of stuff I'm after.

I don't care so much "what" I do as who and where I do it. I'm willing to bust my ass doing most anything if I enjoy who I'm doing it with/for. I certainly don't lump myself in with the current generation of self important entitled coffee shop hanging ass-hats.

But I do love a good coffee shop..... Hmmmmmm. Uh oh.

Ha ha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht