Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I hear you man, but I just couldnt bring myself to study - that was back when I was trying to get the diesel conversion finished. So my recommendation to you is exercise your brain doing a diesel conversion and pull the GRE out of your butt. Worked for me. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Speaking of referral bonuses, I get $7k-$10k for anyone I bring in, so if anyone wants to work for Northrop Grumman, let me know!!! My Rover needs lockers and a lift!
Need civil engineers? I are an ingineer, I kin lern.

Funny, I just applied to UMCP for their master's program in Aerospace... unfortunately, 15 years ago starting at UMCP i was sure I'd NEVER want to get a Master's - besides working 2 jobs and commuting 2 hours a day - and so freshman and sophomore scores sucked. All A's and B's junior/senior year didn't bring the GPA up enough.

UMCP: you're too stupid, go away.

I did fine on the GRE, 760 math, without studying, 1 hour sleep the night before, and no time for food the day of. I guess I might study next time, but really, I was operating at about 20% brain capacity... next time I'd take it in the morning and get some sleep.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I too thought a Master's was definitely not in my future. Pretty much nothing has gone according to my plan to slack off and totally sham through life (now I just sort of sham through life!). There are penalties for marrying a competent woman...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

The only thing that irritates me is I'm local, I'm licensed as an engineer (a couple times), an alum, did excellent in my 3rd and 4th years, had references from the current and prior engineering department chairs, and wanted no financial assistance... IOW: let me take the classes at my own risk and, see? I did best at the toughest classes, so what if I got a solid C in English!?

Instead the incoming class has high % of out of country, unlicensed, good students w/ little experience.

Anyway...

They actually told me: "I've never seen a GPA that low on an application."

I was suggested to apply as an Advanced "Special" Student. So I'm a special, A.S.S.? Sounds perfect.

I think I'll go back to building lil' boats. It's more fun, pays less, and I get to do more engineering in that than with my PE.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its ironic that Maryland kicked you to the curb when they hand out crap degrees to soldiers left and right. They're not as bad as diploma mills like Webster, Troy State, and others, but they certainly go out of their way to ensure that any soldier can get a "degree in name only" from their institution. They no doubt get pretty fat off of all the Army's Tuition Assistance dollars.

That being said, state schools are sometimes every bit as selective as the "elite" schools depending on the program. Having been through this twice in the past couple years with my wife and I, and having very close exposure to the Army's grad school program, I can say that I'm often amazed by admissions decisions. People routinely get into schools which seemed "out of their league" and get rejected by schools that should be a shoe-in.

Anyway man, if you really want a master's degree, cast a wider net. One school doesn't define a trend. You might easily find a school that is trying to build its program and is willing to consider applicants more critically, or one that you never thought you'd qualify for that will take you on board. Better yet, go find a professor whose work interests you and develop a relationship, then go from there. The most successful people I know both in academia and industry got there through relationships (combined with plenty of competence). Very few people make it based on statistics, test scores, and grades alone, and many suceed despite these things.

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

They want that out of state money.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I thought so, too... and perhaps there's a back-door way for it, but the grad-admissions girl said 99+% of graduate students have their tuition covered by the school.

I'm told aerospace is hot right now, and admissions are competetive... UM is supposedly well regarded in AE.

FWIW, I work within 4 miles of College Park, am somewhat anchored to this area for school (long story), and can NOT afford the exhorbitant prices at Johns Hopkins (the only other reasonably local engineering school).

JHU has a good civil engineering program in coastal engineering (another long time interest of mine), but it's ~$54k/year! Um, no thank you...

The ASS program is my back door entrance .... I'm considering taking it. The rejection makes me want to prove them wrong.

To the OP, sorry for the hijack - you did say you were bored, right?
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Do they let you break out the welder at work? I still need a header bar for Janey :D
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke
I am with you Jonathan. Bored to tears. I am in the staffing industry and nobody needs more employees right now. Wonder why??? Oh well, it is sunny and in the 80s here. The 90 is parked outside with my beach chair in the back, and I think I will take off around 2pm today.
Set up shop on the Western Slope of Colorado, If your unemployed here, you are unemployable, in jail or don't want to work.

Your only 2 hours from Moab!
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
200' with a geoprobe, busy day went slow though. Its all downhill from tomorrow.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Do they let you break out the welder at work? I still need a header bar for Janey :D
Bring her over one weekend! It'll only take about 2 hours. I may just make a bunch and sell them....

Semper Fi!
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Anyway man, if you really want a master's degree, cast a wider net. One school doesn't define a trend. You might easily find a school that is trying to build its program and is willing to consider applicants more critically, or one that you never thought you'd qualify for that will take you on board. Better yet, go find a professor whose work interests you and develop a relationship, then go from there. The most successful people I know both in academia and industry got there through relationships (combined with plenty of competence). Very few people make it based on statistics, test scores, and grades alone, and many succeed despite these things.
This is very sound advice.

Developing a rapport with a professor, whose work you're interested in, can provide a critical edge with the graduate committee - especially if he or she is on that committee. It's also important to note that this year, and most likely with in the next few, that many graduate programs have tightened their admission rates, considerably. Merely relying on your scores, grades, and letters of rec./CV only allows you to compete with the baseline of applicants. Unless your baseline credentials are above reproach, you'd probably be limited to a community college.

Being a 'local' only serves to embroider a scarlet letter on your CV. Schools don't want locals, they want applicants that will allow them to build a diverse collective. I think Jim said it best, that you should cast a wider net and apply to other programs around the states. Remember, your not just competing with Americans; you're also competing with students from both China and Indians from IIT.

Good luck.
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
There are penalties for marrying a competent woman...

X2 !
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Bring her over one weekend! It'll only take about 2 hours. I may just make a bunch and sell them....
Will do, although I want to curve the ends so it will probably take a little longer.

Late next month maybe.
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Quote:
Speaking of referral bonuses, I get $7k-$10k for anyone I bring in, so if anyone wants to work for Northrop Grumman, let me know!!! My Rover needs lockers and a lift!
lol, wish you had written that three weeks ago, I was just offered a position with NG in Charlottesville and am moving there mid-June/early July.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

If anyone needs spots filled in NYC I know tons of guys looking for jobs..
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Northrop Grumman? Find me a slot in Colorado on the front range, and I'm all for it. Been trying for a few years to get a job out there, and always the same line from everybody. "Only State Residents Need Apply".

I can't afford to move and then be unemployed until I find something.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Northrop Grumman? Find me a slot in Colorado on the front range, and I'm all for it. Been trying for a few years to get a job out there, and always the same line from everybody. "Only State Residents Need Apply".

I can't afford to move and then be unemployed until I find something.
Yeah right! I am from CO and trying to get back there myself. Go on the Northrop careers website and see what is out there. We have a lot of work down in CO Springs.

Semper Fi!
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Yeah right! I am from CO and trying to get back there myself. Go on the Northrop careers website and see what is out there. We have a lot of work down in CO Springs.
If you want, you can refer me for the Communications Systems Engineer spot at Schriever. 15 years of commo background may pay off eventually. Looks right up my alley.

As to the rest, I don't speak Farsi, I'm not a retired Gunnery Sgt., or have an engineering degree. And what's with the Video Game Designer spots?

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
If you want, you can refer me for the Communications Systems Engineer spot at Schriever. 15 years of commo background may pay off eventually. Looks right up my alley.

As to the rest, I don't speak Farsi, I'm not a retired Gunnery Sgt., or have an engineering degree. And what's with the Video Game Designer spots?
You can just go on there and apply - then put my name (Jonathan George) in the box when it asks for referals. My guess on the video game designer spots is they are looking for people to design realistic training software similar to what the Army did.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat