I'm an idiot and so can you! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

I'm an idiot and so can you!

i just won a court arbitration against the douchebag who screwed me on my first attempt to buy a defender and thought i would share the story here. i apologize in advance for the length of this post. i have mentioned in past posts that i had filed suit against richard creed of pacific custom landrovers of vancouver BC. when i first looked around to buy a defender i knew nothing about anything. unfortunately i didnt find this site in time to prevent me from doing something really stupid. i originally found some ads on land rover exchange and contacted several people one of whom was richard creed. the defender he had listed had "just sold" but he told me he could have a 110 custom refurbished to my specs by liveridge 4x4 in the UK imported to canada then shipped to the US. he assured me it was all legal because it qualified as a reconstructed vehicle. he told me to call my local DMV which i did and they told me they would give me license and title to such a vehicle.(people like him count on DMV employees being ignorant of importation laws) i checked with liveridge and they assured me it was alll on the up and up. i then gave him a 10K deposit for a 110 to be delivered in 3-4 months(you can stifle the laughing here)of course it didnt materialize and lucky for him that was the summer of 2007 where there were floods in england and he claimed that liveridge was under water and that they would have to start over on my 110. time went by and nothing happened. late that year i was talking to my insurance agent and mentioned the defender and his eyes lit up. he told me that unless the car was legally imported they would not insure it for on road use. about that time i found the ECR website which explains what a moron i was. i told douchebag creed that i wanted to cancel my order and get my money back. he said that it was impossible since the car was almost done and he and liveridge had spent too much money on it. i accepted that and prepared to buy the car and sell it in canada where it would be legal. more time went by and no defender and finally the light went on(i told you i was slow). i told him if i didnt get my money back by march of 2008 i would file suit. he made promises but no refund ever materialized. i then found an attorney in BC and filed suit in small claims court in march 08. after filing suit i contacted coleman sachs an attorney with the US DOT and explained my situation to him. after i sent him a copy of the contract he graciously wrote an official letter stating that a defender modified as specified in that contract could not be legally imported into the US. i also contacted liveridge 4x4 to see if they could help. they told me that douchebag creed had ordered a 110 for me in april 07 but no deposit was given or required. then he told me that creed had canceled the order in july 07! i got him to provide a statement for the court as well. creed made several attempts to settle at about 50 cents on the dollar and i considered doing that a few times but he never came up with a check. finally i said screw it we'll wait until arbitration. that was originally scheduled for early march 09 but was canceled due to weather. if finally occurred last friday. creed tried to BS the arbitrator but after it was clear he had zero documentation of anything the judge cut him off. after seeing what i had he told creed that if it we didnt settle at arbitration and it went to trial creed had no defense and would not only lose the original amount but court costs as well and likely a 20% fine for proceeding with a case that had no defense. he offered 6500 and i countered at the full amount and he rolled over like the weasel he is. i was kind of disappointed that he caved so quickly as i had things i wanted to say but didnt get to. i'm still out 30% of the deposit for fees but came out better than i had hoped for. as far as i know he is still in business so all i can say to other d-90 members is dont even think about doing any business with this weasel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I feel for you. I spoke with him in my early days of searching for my defender. Lucky for me that my wife is a better judge of character then I. She didn't believe any of the BS on how I could title a newer Td5 defender in the US.
Glad you got some of your money back.
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Creed the greed. Not surprised. Do you have your cash yet from him? If not, good luck collecting on that judgment.
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
These kind of first hand reports are one of the most valuable references on this portal to help all of us navigate these shark infested waters. Opportunistic scum bags like that can really ruin the jubilation of the Defender buying experience. Hope it works out from you. I have a story of my own as well, and know how it feels.
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
That's about as anonomyous as a post can get here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat