Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 31st, 2013, 12:13 PM
bearskinrug
patrick
lookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I would be interested if the truck is using synthetic oil/fluid/lube throughout.

If so, clean the breathers and poor in Rotella dino in the block, LR single shots in the swivels, and most any dino gear lube in the diffs and transfer. But stick to Redline MTF for the box (assuming a manual here). Remember we are dealing with early 60's technology here and probably 40's British machining (or worse). Opinions very, but I would stick with the dino fluids in the block and single shots for the swivels.

Drive around, warm everything up then spray the underside with Simple Green or similar, bristle brush where necessary, then hose off. There is a strong chance most of your leaks will now be seeps and seeps will now be sealed.

Then purchase a new exhaust and y-pipe for $1200. The fluids will be $100. Labor should not be much. A few hours at most.

Hopefully both parties can meet in the middle for the costs or the purchaser picking up the bigger share given the complete fluid change and new exhaust.
I've got Redline MTF in the box, dino in the diffs and swivels, royal purple in the tranny, and mobil 1 high milage in the block. Ran rotella for a while, tried mobil 1 since it seemed to have higher zddp levels, and have been happy. I think the motor likes the mobil 1, it runs smoother, and it uses less oil now too.
I think its already at seep level, I dont have oil spots on my driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2013, 05:28 PM
bearskinrug
patrick
lookin

Well back for sale. Sorry I missed a chance to work with Carmel CA d90. He's a solid buyer and was always fair, reasonable, and did everything he said he would do.
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Carmel_CA_D90
H
None

Dido to bearskinrug.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat