Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If they can do it with a J8 ...

The J8 is a military spec jeep. What caught my eye is they are diesel, and if They offered a 4 door JK in diesel, I'd own one.

Well it turns out you can get the J8 through AEV, and they offer a diesel with it. This is how it's done.

Quote:
These vehicles are sold as component chassis only, meaning that they are delivered completely assembled with everything but the engine and transmission installed. They must be completed by the end customer who must install or contract an independent shop to install the engine and transmission (bolt in, plug in, hook up hoses) and register the vehicle as a component vehicle with a state assigned VIN number. For more information contact AEV at 406-251-2100 ext 101.
So why can't we do this with a defender 110?

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/j8_milspec.php
http://www.jgms.com
http://jeep-j8.com/key_features.html

I do find it odd that you have to get the V8 to get a manual transmission but otherwise a pretty cool vehicle. No idea what it costs

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

OR you can live just about anywhere but the good old USA and buy the four door jeep with that engine for 2011!
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Charles,

AEV currently has been taking orders for the J8, and the cost without engine and transmission is roughly $50K. They come in CKD (completely knocked down) form, just like Defenders do. AEV has to buy a minimum number of CKD kits in order to make a purchase directly from Chrysler/Jeep here in the states. As last I heard, AEV has not yet reached the minimum order needed. This could be because your $50K doesn't get you a vehicle with a title or drivetrain. Don't get me wrong though, I think its a great truck (I've been very happy with my 4-door JK Rubicon). Scott Brady (Expeditions West & Overland Journal) over on Expo Portal is currently testing a white J8 right hand drive J8 with the diesel.

Normally, the J8 CKD kits are shipped from here in the states to Egypt, where they are assembled. AEV would simply be buying the kits unassembled, and doing a partial assembly on them (less motor and drivetrain). The diesel used in the J8 is an italian diesel engine, which was also used in the few Jeep Liberties which were sold with the 2.8 Diesel set-up. It is a DOT approved engine, unlike the 300Tdi which has never been "DOT approved".

Video of Scott Brady talking about the AEV J8:

Thread on Expo Portal regarding the J8 Scott is currently outfitting & testing:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=48971

If I end up keeping my JK for the "long haul" I've contemplated swapping a diesel into it. My wife actually drives an '07 CRD Grand Cherokee. The diesel in the Grand is actually the 3.0 V6 Mercedez Benz CRD used in the GL and other Merc's. The HP and torque actually rival that of the 5.7L Hemi V8, but alas it carries more electronics than the 2.8 CRD used in the J8. If you're real interested in the diesel conversion on a Jeep, check out the guys at Burnsville Offroad. They've done a couple of the diesel swaps into TJ's and JK's. (see link)

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Articles/05_11_08.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:19 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I had no idea that Jeep offered the new wrangler 2 and 4 door in the CRD diesel until I was in Europe for the last few weeks and spotted several with the CRD diesel.

It really pisses me off that the rest of the world has so many diesel options but here in the US we always get screwed even by an American car company
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
It really pisses me off that the rest of the world has so many diesel options but here in the US we always get screwed even by an American car company
Likewise.

I saw recently one of the US car makers is selling an electric car in China already - which we don't have...
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
So I guess the key is to get the equivalent of a Euro truck (very recent) imported as parts. Then get a DOT approved engine in there and that's it? Is that really "that" simple? If it was someone would have come up with a kit to put such drivetrain in a Defender 110 (and/or 90).
I know I'm too cheap to pay for such kit, even the Money involved with a 300Tdi conversion scares me.
Anyway, when LR imports the TDV8, I know what I'm doing! Drooling over the of you guys that do the conversion. someone in the UK has a kit to fit it in the D90 (Charles, same magazine I was reading that talked about the J8. I'd lend it to you, but it's in French).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
if They offered a 4 door JK in diesel, I'd own one.
I've been saying this for years as well... The 05-07 Jeep Liberty had a very nice 2.8L CRD and the 07 Grand Cherokee had a 3.0L CRD.

Never understood the policts involved in not doing a factory CRD Rubicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
So I guess the key is to get the equivalent of a Euro truck (very recent) imported as parts. Then get a DOT approved engine in there and that's it? Is that really "that" simple? If it was someone would have come up with a kit to put such drivetrain in a Defender 110 (and/or 90).
I know I'm too cheap to pay for such kit, even the Money involved with a 300Tdi conversion scares me.
Anyway, when LR imports the TDV8, I know what I'm doing! Drooling over the of you guys that do the conversion. someone in the UK has a kit to fit it in the D90 (Charles, same magazine I was reading that talked about the J8. I'd lend it to you, but it's in French).
AFAIK as long as the engine is approved, you can install it on any vehcile... the problem might be the ODBII

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2010 10:02 AM ------

Before I even started contemplating getting a LR trail rig, I looked at the CRD options and it's very doable.

The problem is the cost.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

also with regards to the AEV method, there are no Jeep logos of any kind due to it being solely a Jeep-based kit car (or AEV is the actual manufacturer, I don't remember). Regardless, its not legally a Jeep. I drove a CRD TJ Wrangler in Australia once... It seemed to have every bit of power my TJ did but with double the fuel economy.
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1. Rover won't sell CKD kits
2. Technically speaking, the installer of the engine is the manufacturer and has to comply with all regulations like everyone else (see the letter on DOT website), but does not so it is actually still illegal.
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
I've been saying this for years as well... The 05-07 Jeep Liberty had a very nice 2.8L CRD and the 07 Grand Cherokee had a 3.0L CRD.

Never understood the policts involved in not doing a factory CRD Rubicon.
More than just politics. What was the premium added for the diesel from the factory? $3k+? Now, do the math and see how much you would have to drive to offset the front loaded cost on a diesel vehicle. Gas is so cheap that it doesnt work out. You can justify an increased cost in a WK or Liberty but in a TJ, LJ, JK, whatever, not so much.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
AEV has to buy a minimum number of CKD kits in order to make a purchase directly from Chrysler/Jeep here in the states. As last I heard, AEV has not yet reached the minimum order needed.
I need to correct myself. (see link below)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...1&postcount=63

They do have the minimum order. They are being held up by suppliers for Jeep.

If you're interested J8, this is a good thread to follow:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=29157

Also, because of the delay, J8's will come with the new 2011 interior.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
More than just politics. What was the premium added for the diesel from the factory? $3k+? Now, do the math and see how much you would have to drive to offset the front loaded cost on a diesel vehicle. Gas is so cheap that it doesnt work out. You can justify an increased cost in a WK or Liberty but in a TJ, LJ, JK, whatever, not so much.
It depended on the model... IMSMR it ranged from $1,500 to $2,500, I think I have a window sticker in a JPG somewhere...

The added cost is minimal taking in considerarion that Diesel engines last twice longer than the counter part.

Diesel is cheaper than gasoline in every country... except here. Not to mention that the refinement process is a lot less.

IMHO... I'll take a diesel over a gasoline any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat