If the new Defender closely resembles the old one... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 15th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
If the new Defender closely resembles the old one...

All:

Toyota, VW, MINI & several other marques have successfully pulled off building 'retro' versions of classics, which meet modern safety standards. Although these new vehicles likely have not impacted the sale of the originals much, I have to wonder what would happen if Land Rover were to make a 'retro' Defender that was pretty close (in features & layout) to the old ones? I know I'd kick myself for spending a million dollars on restoring my '85 if it turns out that I can buy a brand new, very similar rig at the dealership. Do you think such a vehicle (which might have an aluminium body, as seen on the new F150) would slow/stop the import of Defenders from outside the USA and even lower the price of the NAS trucks?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I would rather have an:
original Beetle over a new one
original Mini over the current one
I will say that I do love my FJ and as a daily driver it is much better than an FJ40.
As far as affecting prices I don't think it will drag down the prices of any of our trucks. They are two different animals and modern emissions, airbags and ECU's are not going to make them more capable than what we already have.
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I'm holding out to see the new Defender which should be unveiled soon. I don't think it will affect NAS trucks, but may affect ROW trucks. We shall see.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2015, 04:41 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I wouldn't buy a $50k-60k plastic Defender. New car smell, crash safety and better gas mileage doesn't get me excited either. Seems like that's what sells cars today's cars. There's plenty of good Defender supply IMO so no point in reinventing the wheel. Hell there's one on the board right now with only 11k miles.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:41 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I would rather have an: Original Beetle over a new one Original Mini over the current one I will say that I do love my FJ and as a daily driver it is much better than an FJ40.
Ditto! A modern throwback Defender would be in my garage, as my new DD, but only if they made an ST, and it would still be parked next to my beloved NAS. And if I ran out of garage space, guess who's living outside? The newb!

I don't think anything other than condition will ever affect NAS trucks and I think imports would curtail only slightly as everyone wants to look like they've had one all along. Only the poseur market would be completely satisfied by the new D! My .02
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:01 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
I'm sure you've all seen those defender concept cars that look like suped up fjs. That's defenders future.
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Their reasons for discontinuing it are BS. They could easily tweak the current Defender to meet current safety & emissions standards. I'm sure they want a truck that's easily made from low cost materials on a fully automated assembly line so they can get rid of all the workers and replace them with robots they don't have to pay. Hopefully it won't be all that bad though and the workers will be able to find new jobs.
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
It's pretty hard to make a half tonne box get whatever mpg us & euro regs demand. The safety stuff is already in place in Europe.
Those of you who run/understand biz you realize there are sometimes hard choices to make like eliminating a whole line of your inaugural product. I'm sure it wasn't a simple decision to get rid of such an iconic product.
Remember they are the ones that make range rovers & other higher cost and lower margin vehicles.
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It depends on what you mean. Lets Take Toyota: If you are talking about a 70 series, then yes, but the FJ cruiser doesn't do a thing for me, Id rather have a 4runner. (sorry Dave)

Im not a fan of the DC100, but if it ended up like project Juno, id be happy.

-Jeff
x2...
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:24 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I will say that I do love my FJ and as a daily driver it is much better than an FJ40.
As far as affecting prices I don't think it will drag down the prices of any of our trucks. They are two different animals and modern emissions, airbags and ECU's are not going to make them more capable than what we already have.

I'm with you, Dave. My wife has an FJ. They are pretty nice. Much nicer than I would have expected.
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:39 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
A modern throwback Defender would be in my garage, as my new DD, but only if they made an ST, and it would still be parked next to my beloved NAS. And if I ran out of garage space, guess who's living outside? The newb!
...2's in!
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:03 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Funny you should bring this up... I was talking to Josh (crash303) about it today as we pulled the radiator out of his '97 D90. My LR3 is going to hit 200k this year, the clear coat is starting to go on the top of the truck, the leather seats are giving out, and the navigation touch screen has a mind of its own. But the driveline is still kicking.

It doesn't matter that the truck has 22 ECUs, a fiber optic data bus, and enough wiring to go from Mexico to the Oregon border. It gets the job done, even with me taking it off road regularly and beating the shit out of it. I have yet to have an electronics malfunction that wasn't due to a dead battery or my own damn meddling with the systems.

If they can take that kind of tech and make a modern Defender, I will have a serious crisis on what to do with the LR3. I may become an all-Defender household with the Series IIA, D90, and "New Defender".

If Land Rover births the abortion that is the DC100 or something like it, my ROW D90 just added 5k in value, and I will enter the market for either a Tesla or Range Rover Evoque as my new commuter mobile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:39 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
The new Defender will not be DC100 style

http://4x4channel.tv/fresh-reports-t...e-dc100-style/

old but worth reviewing...
Old February 16th, 2015, 01:19 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
We just bought a 7 seater with a Tdi .......a Mercedes......

Sorry Rover, you were too late. And I suspect you will be too late for a lot of other people too.

If you happen to pull a trick out of your hat with the new Defender, maybe we'll hit you up for a certified used in about 2020 or so. In the mean time, I'm gonna keep working on my ROW.
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Did you get a Geländewagen?
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:33 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Sounds like a GL. Not a G.
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Like this one? :D

http://r.ebay.com/Zk1rvy
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:43 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Still a five seater. More wheels than seats! ;-)
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:46 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

5 seats is enough. The others could join the pool party in the back.
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:47 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Did you get a Geländewagen?
........no........ I wish.

Just a wee bit out of our price range.

We got a GL320. Don't have to deal with that Bluetec crap, still have 7 seats, and get better mileage than the Audi wagon.

So I now will be selling the Disco... and the Audi. But the one Merc will serve for the two.

We drove a 2015 GL350 -- I do believe it is alien technology from Area 51. Wow.

Also, we drove the Q7, but the used two year old Q7 was not as impressive, and it was only $1000 cheaper than a new GL350. The dealer tried to get us to take the new one because it was brown, no one like the color, they had had it on the lot for 6 months! I loved the color. And they dropped the price $12k when I merely looked at it. Way too expensive though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender