If the black 2k mile 1997 Defender wasn't amazing now this! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I think in the 70s but that is a very different truck. The LEs were a one year run to finish off defenders in the USA and there were literally only 300 of them so being 1 or 300 is going to add value to that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Also for the 94s, depending on the month of the 94s they came with either full size caps like on 95 or 97 engines or the smaller ones.
What month did the caps change to the full?
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
What month did the caps change to the full?
The interim blocks which full caps were from April of 94 on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
By your logic, short of white, coniston is the second most common color and hence the easiest to find. Sure you can say the 97 engine is better but the only reason this truck is desirable is mileage, nothing more. The soft tops are always worth more and green ads nothing to the value. I don't dislike the green but it is common. There is nothing special about this truck. In fact if you take into account how many low mileage jap trucks there are you could say the low mileage sw isn't as big of a deal. Sure this one has ber low miles but I almost want to say being green is hurting its value. Willow or red would probably make it sell faster, then blue.

If it was a blue 95 or a poe I bet it could command the money but at this rate it will go for 95 or even what the black went for which was in the 80s
Going back to what I orignal wrote when I started the post was in regards to the SW being more rare then ST.

Here is a quote from you.

"Wagons are not more rare than soft tops."

I proved that SW are indeed more rare by a ration of 2.55 to 1. More then double at 255.91%

You also stated " Green is nice but it is the most common wagon color there is. It is the only color made all three years."

According to the data this is also incorrect. Below are all the colors available for all 3 years. That is 6 colors in all.

AA Yellow

Alpine White

Coniston Green

Portifino Red

Beluga Black

Arles Blue

When I first posted I said the eBay Defender was "Best color combo and year in my humble opinion hehe." This doesn't not mean it is the rarest but it is one of my favorite color combos. You posted it wasn't a rare color which is fine but I was not making that point about being rare or not. I never said this to start. You said that in a reply post which then lead me to investigate the numbers. My point was about the SW being more rare in the beginning. You said "greens are common" which is fine & there were 1210 produced in both variants, but how many of those are the white topped SW variant? Maybe 500 (est) or so based on the ration of ST to SW give or take? This is certainly not common and a rare combo I would say. With the SW already being more rare, one can estimate that Consiton Green/ White SW are not common. Only 500 + / - (est) for the US market. I have only seen one so far while driving but have seen 4 other colors so far as well. Another color I also love is a 97 Arles / white top SW but that would be my second choice.

Please make sure you research facts and be certain when you respond Berry the instigator hehe
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

This is what I get for responding on my phone and reading fast. Regardless green is not a sought after color for nas defenders and finding a green sw is easy. This truck has value due to mileage but if you put miles on it the value will tank. The black one won't nearly as fast. You can like the truck and the color but it will never command the value of the black one or any similar condition soft top.
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
George what color is your SW? Arles Blue is my favorite color. I wanted a 97 auto ST. Ended up getting a white one as it was the cleanest one I could find. White was my least favorite color but now has grown on me. Would love to have ECR repaint it one day. Then it would be rare.
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

George, you are right on a NAS only scale, but the NAS ST is still the rarest 90 on the planet. They were not produced for any other market.

If you were to roll your 90, you would be able to get every part you need to rebuild the the truck. The NAS ST cage is no longer available and finding one in great/perfect shape is very rare and when you find one for sale they are very, very expensive. LenB's sold for 5K.

Old November 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder
George what color is your SW?
he's said like 10 times in this thread that it's green.

For me, any Defender over here can be considered "rare" but a hard top 90 is still just an SUV...our soft tops are something quite special and so have commanded a premium. Hell, even this guy drove his ST hundreds more miles than his SW...
Old November 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The ST was available for a few other markets but not like it was here. I think I posted a link a long time ago that shows all the special editions available worldwide. It is some french site.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
[QUOTE=rijosho;311637]he's said like 10 times in this thread that it's green.

Not sure how I missed that.
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yes green sw, rarest of all defender colors.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:52 AM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
George what color is your SW? Arles Blue is my favorite color. I wanted a 97 auto ST. Ended up getting a white one as it was the cleanest one I could find. White was my least favorite color but now has grown on me. Would love to have ECR repaint it one day. Then it would be rare.
Its Coniston Green with white top. I like Alpine White when I saw one out here with the black brush guard and front grill. It was a nice contrast with the roll bar and it also had the ram air wing scoop. If I bought another one it would be an ST in any color but what I have haha. It would definitely be a 97 with the 4.0 and auto. The auto alone in city driving is nice but when off roading it helps a lot since you can brake torque and not stall under sticky situations.

------ Follow up post added November 20th, 2011 10:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
George, you are right on a NAS only scale, but the NAS ST is still the rarest 90 on the planet. They were not produced for any other market.

If you were to roll your 90, you would be able to get every part you need to rebuild the the truck. The NAS ST cage is no longer available and finding one in great/perfect shape is very rare and when you find one for sale they are very, very expensive. LenB's sold for 5K.
Right, world wide market wise but since we are in the USA Im speaking about what is available and what was imported by LRNA here. Eventually a lot of parts will go NLA unfortunately. Auto console are gone and the AC systems and fascias are gone until maybe someone produce them which may or may not be the same or as good??

------ Follow up post added November 20th, 2011 10:29 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
he's said like 10 times in this thread that it's green.

For me, any Defender over here can be considered "rare" but a hard top 90 is still just an SUV...our soft tops are something quite special and so have commanded a premium. Hell, even this guy drove his ST hundreds more miles than his SW...

Haha hmm someone should email him and ask why he did??? I did go on to Nadaguide and check prices and ironically comparing two 97s with 1k miles one ST and one SW the SW came up 3g more?? It also was more on KBB as well for the SW? They do market research for this stuff so im surprised the ST didn't price more then the SW?

------ Follow up post added November 20th, 2011 10:53 PM ------

Quote:
This is what I get for responding on my phone and reading fast. Regardless green is not a sought after color for nas defenders and finding a green sw is easy. This truck has value due to mileage but if you put miles on it the value will tank. The black one won't nearly as fast. You can like the truck and the color but it will never command the value of the black one or any similar condition soft top.

Berry I have been learning a lot trying to research and post correct information. I have a lot of work ahead of me reviewing over 6000+ posts you have made and fixing each one
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
2 bids at 95K and reserve is not met? I'm a little surprised that these trucks would pull this kind of money. I'm guessing the buyer will keep them stored and uber low miles otherwise the value would drop fast. Has anyone spoke to the seller? I was in at 65K on the Black and gave him a call but once it went over I never called him again.
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot
Haha hmm someone should email him and ask why he did??? I did go on to Nadaguide and check prices and ironically comparing two 97s with 1k miles one ST and one SW the SW came up 3g more?? It also was more on KBB as well for the SW? They do market research for this stuff so im surprised the ST didn't price more then the SW?
You can't really use those as guides for accurate pricing on NAS Defenders. There weren't enough imported here for that.

You need to review real market sales to price accurately with these trucks.

I agree with the others that the ST will always be far more valuable than an SW.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Berry I have been learning a lot trying to research and post correct information. I have a lot of work ahead of me reviewing over 6000+ posts you have made and fixing each one
You are correct, I should have said SWs aren't rare when you take in to account all the ROW trucks. You should be happy your truck is common and not like a soft top. If you damage any of the unique I mean common parts you will have no issue making it whole again. This is especially true if the steering wheel cracks in the sun.

When you go through all my posts trying to correct them you should also be able to figure out my name is Barry not berry.

Oh and to pull a Chapman I am calling bullshit on the bids on the truck. I am guessing someone is shill bidding since the reserve hasn't been met.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Since people like facts
1230 Coniston greens including soft tops

Out of the 1230 there were
50 POE SW in 94
185 wagons in 95 and 341 in 97.

It was the most produced wagon color of 97.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

There is no pictures of the underbody? How do we know that this D90 was not driven on the beach for 1000 miles and the underbody left to rust

Seriously...........beautiful truck!

FLAGG
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
You are correct, I should have said SWs aren't rare when you take in to account all the ROW trucks. You should be happy your truck is common and not like a soft top. If you damage any of the unique I mean common parts you will have no issue making it whole again. This is especially true if the steering wheel cracks in the sun.

When you go through all my posts trying to correct them you should also be able to figure out my name is Barry not berry.

Oh and to pull a Chapman I am calling bullshit on the bids on the truck. I am guessing someone is shill bidding since the reserve hasn't been met.
Sorry Barry for miss typing your name with a fruit. I must have craved some when I was typing haha.

We aren't driving in the ROW so here in the US, the SW are much less common then ST by a large margin. I know this now and so do you, it has been proven. Your point is that having parts like the cage not available and such makes it more unique because they did bother to reproduce them maybe due to demand? I understand if that makes special in that regard? Although they did sell the SVX ST in the later years, the first STs showed up in UK Showrooms in 92. They were the most popular here in the US, maybe due to the good climate in some parts of the country to us them in. If just didn't sell well unfortunately outside of the US. Maybe due to the hassle of removing the top which you won't want to do all the time? Maybe due to the climate its not nothing you can use very often? Maybe the cost of replacing a top from wear which get expensive? They don't insulate in the cold as well which for many might not be ideal. One member here, when I first got my 90 had mentioned he sold his 97 ST for an SW due to mostly the road noise which is much more in an ST unfortunately. If you don't use your ST much or if you don't care about the different factors. then its not much of a issue I guess. Some people want roll of windows maybe and others don't care. What ever the case, STs were not in demand ROW otherwise LR would have supply whatever the market was asking for. I want an ST for my second Defender in Yellow one day which would make for a complete family hehe. Its unfortunat that some ST did get haggard on the interiors which were left out without concern to the elements.

Here is a nice one for the price asking 23k. Looks like this ST was looked after.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...item19cb1b4766

As far has the eBay 97 Coniston Green / White on eBay, he wasn't shill bidding. It was one bidder that kept changing his bid most likely upping it a little each time in hopes to make the reserve. The seller might be wanting 100k+ for it but someone was willing to pay 95k+ for it which is more then what the ST sold for.

------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2011 02:27 PM ------

Quote:
Since people like facts
1230 Coniston greens including soft tops

Out of the 1230 there were
50 POE SW in 94
185 wagons in 95 and 341 in 97.

It was the most produced wagon color of 97.
Thanks for posting this! I was very close when I est 500 +/- . With 97 being the best year which means only 340 others out there like mine, how cool! Can you please post the figures for all the colors or if its to hard you can post the link if its online. Thanks!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Did anyone every go to the 1997 LA Autoshow and remember it? Here is the Defender LR showcased for the public. It would be cool to hear from someone if they did go and remember how it was? Out of all the colors in their arsenal, they choose Coniston Green / White SW for the show!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1997 Autoshow1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	44032  
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Word is this guy has a third Defender in yellow... Direct quote from a trustworthy individual who tried to buy ST. Wonder what that one looks like?
2000 DII (SOLD)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
1997, 97, ac