Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ideas needed

Building a 90 for a customer and we are @ the spec'ing it out phase. One of the things that has popped up is the request for a gun safe. The truck will have a full SD soft top cage and 4 leather inward facing rear jump seats. Since the load space floor will be used by the seat fold downs and the passengers feet, a drawer system is out, as is a small locking safe like Rover used to sell as these will be long guns, not break down double shotguns.
Aside from throwing a gun case in the truck when needed (not the most secure option in a soft top) can anyone feed me an idea ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Building a 90 for a customer and we are @ the spec'ing it out phase. One of the things that has popped up is the request for a gun safe. The truck will have a full SD soft top cage and 4 leather inward facing rear jump seats. Since the load space floor will be used by the seat fold downs and the passengers feet, a drawer system is out, as is a small locking safe like Rover used to sell as these will be long guns, not break down double shotguns.
Aside from throwing a gun case in the truck when needed (not the most secure option in a soft top) can anyone feed me an idea ?
Huff is doing the locking underneath "center console" thingy...but that's just for small arms. Not sure if the requirements are for long guns for the customer, but may be worth discussing.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Just a thought Doug, seeing they are long guns - rifles. Ask the customer if he intends to have the truck full on trips when he is carrying guns. Or if guns are carried 24/7. That is certainly a limiting factor.

If the rear has two seats up, so 4pax, you could quite easily have a temp mount lockable gun draw system on one side where the seats are folded up, and still allow room for the fold down legs and peoples feet - matter of fact, it might be nice to integrate it as a nice footrest on the other side.
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:12 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
Does he want to be able to have access while outside of the truck or is he ok with jumping up in the back?
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
the only other place i can think of is where the middle bulkhead is on a 90. there is sufficient area between the rear of the front seats and the rear load area seats.

if it fits lengthwise in the 48" long tub area, it will fit widthwise in the area behind the front seats.
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Doug, the rare seats form a triangle of wasted area when the seats are in the 'use' position. If he is only after 2 or possibly 4 guns, you could build a custom 3 sided case the length of the rear tub- on each side.
Thoughts??

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Contact SafariHP. Stephen is building me several hidden gun compartments in my 110 build. Your 90 has less options, but he has ideas for footwell built ins and one under the center console.

Semper Fi!
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:23 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
while it is difficult to hide long riffle it is not impossible specially when the customer is given an out of the box idea.
while not hidden, what about a system similar to what we use on police cars, where the shot gun and or AR15 sit in a cradle with and electric release muzzle clamp.
of course they have ready accessible so a push button rocker identical to the siren ,pa, and emergency lights is used (thus blends in case of break in and not labeled), this only releases when ignition is on, thus allowing to energize the release switch.
in your case this push button can be hidden and or a separate energizer can be wired.
if fully hidden what about the rear wheel well hump area? mount a riffle rack wit above mentioned safety...
im installing a safe and a dummy both hidden on the cargo and or under rear seats on my range and my other cars, this allows to separate but conceal ammunition and pistol in non reciprocity states I may be visiting and hide securely in case of break in while in non carry establishments i/e the post office etc.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I use a Troy Box. An AK underfolder, a broken down AR or a broken down Benelli M4 fit fine. Mine is located against the bulkhead instead of off to the side. It works better for me that way.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
perhaps discussed...

but what about a 2 or 3 inch high-by length of what the back seats sits on-box? In other words, imagine raising the rear seats by 2 or 3 inches and having those seats actually sit on top of the "gun case"?

Wouldn't be visible from outside as it would look like part of truck...

I'll try to throw a 30 second paint pic up....

This would be looking at it if you kinda laid your head on the floor between the 4 seats...

Imagine sitting a rifle case on top of the seat "shelf" but made of Tuffy material and welded to "bench" with rear 4 seats on top of that...?

fire away...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gunsafe.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	113547  

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:35 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Could you just shorten the flip up seat legs so the bar doesn't go back to the corner and have a stop built into the floor. Then you have all the space against the tub section and behind the shortened seat legs. This is not very complicated and offers plenty of space for storage on both sides with minimal fabrication or altering of body parts.

Actually you need these type of rear seats. http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/de...up-detail.html problem solved. Storage space on the floor against the tub sides. These don't have the support bar leg thing.
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
this was the gun safe that was in mine when I (you) brought it over. The steel cabinet underneath was an "ordinance locker". You better believe I had the PO scrub the bejezuz out of both cabinets for any residue.

I sold the both to a buddy of mine who installed in a SIII in the same position, but his wife hates it, so I could ask him is he wants to sell it.

EDIT: sorry, I re-read and now understand why this wouldn't work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110-05 025x (450 x 600) (3).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	113549  
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:09 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

box behind inward facing seats... wing nut one seat for easy removal....better yet attach the seat backs to the box so they fold down when opening
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:20 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Rock slider /side step box. I'm penciling one up for my 110 right now. lots of room between the wheels if you navigate around some hard bits and keep the whole thing above the lowest point of the frame.
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
box behind inward facing seats... wing nut one seat for easy removal....better yet attach the seat backs to the box so they fold down when opening
Oh...that's a good one. I forgot about the little "curve" area behind the seats. Looks like rovertrader had the same idea
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:15 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Overhead console along the center inside of the rear cargo area that attaches to the cage or roof if no internal cage. Guns mounted to the bottom inside of the box / console and as you open the box the lid with the guns attached drops down to reveal the guns.

Or make a shallow box that sits on the wheel well with foam and a covering on it to double as a seat base flip it open for access to the guns. Would need to make a seat back as well.
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:24 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

I like this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	great_day_center-lok_overhead_gun_rack.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	113554  
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Can you do one in the fender well. I have not measured the 90 to see if it would be long enough. You could do one on each side to keep it from getting too deep. You could also have a lockable opening at the rear or hide the lockable opening behind the License plate?
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lots of ideas for short guns. Starting with a UK spec 90. Frame off restoration galvanizing everything steel. LHD conversion using td5 dash, a/c, gems v8,auto, full sd soft top cage just ordered from Zack. Customer also ordered 6 special color Exmoor leather seats. 2 fronts 4 rear.

The term rifle was not used and the impression I got was more like 32 inch full choke 3.5 inch magnum guns for waterfowl, ie true long guns.

Truck will live on Nantucket. Picture red metallic, with black mohair top, SVX two tone wheels etc. So the military/ police type cradle up front is out, as is anything unsightly. I think I'm going to try and convince him that a Pelican or SKB type case is the way to go instead of a secure gun vault. I had thought of the space behind the fold ups but if memory serves that would be pretty damn hard to access without removing the seats. Also working with Ipad mount, VHF radio, in dash nav and back up camera, class three receivers front and rear, heated windshield & mirrors & seats, etc

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 11th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
While that is cool I wonder how well it would work on a soft top since the tub strength is the ribs underneath that would be removed with a setup like that. Then there's the paying me thousands to fabricate it....

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat