Ideas for CVC's "banana flambe" rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ideas for CVC's "banana flambe" rebuild

I thought we should start a thread to help Chris Von C. plan the rebuild of his D90.

I see two basic options for Chris to consider:

1. Rebuild as rover V8
2. Repower to Tdi

1. is attractive as it probably can be done inexpensively if compromises are made. Finding a 94 harness will be tough. The dash parts and plastic bits are common enough but sorting the wiring would be a serious nightmare. One option would be to refit a range rover classic engine harness. The block/trans/rad/etc should all be ok. The sensors and such are probably toast but are common to RRCs and DI so used cheap is easy.

2. is attractive because it is Tdi. No wires (well one wire). Spendy though. Have to weld mounts on the frame.

How to start:

1. If it were me I would take lots and lots of pictures for reference. Next I would ask for lots and lots of pictures of 94s to use as a reference as well.

2. Compile a list of needed parts and questionable parts

3. Start removing and cleaning the salvagable bits.

4. Start sourcing the needed bits.

Good luck,
Ron

I had another idea, what about importing from equicar or similar a complete bulkhead/drivetrain from a Tdi? What about importing a whole Tdi truck that was rolled/rear ended?

If you found one LHD (this is not that hard) it would be almost a bolt on.

One more, take pics to document the repairs. This will help if you ever sell and have to explain salvage title.
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij

How to start:

1. If it were me I would take lots and lots of pictures for reference. Next I would ask for lots and lots of pictures of 94s to use as a reference as well.
This one's easy. Mine's a '94 too and sits 100' away from where his is. Ours were mostly the same. Mine has the rear interior brace bar thingy that the early '94s got and his hood release was on the wrong(right?) side. If a rebuild is in the making then it could sit even closer if I can find room for the rest of the stuff in my garage.
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Does Texas do emissions testing? He can always just toss an edelbrock manifold and carburetor on top for now. That will seriously simplify the wiring. Or, go with something like the MegaSquirt EFI computer if you want to stay fuel injected, but want to save money also. But both of those options may not pass by the inspection guys with flying colors.

But I think that the best starting point is definitely to start figuring out what is bad and what is good.

I highly suggest getting a notebook before you start. Then, grab each known bad part, write down what it is, then toss it. If it's questionable, write it down and set it aside. Save all the hardware, since much of it is oddball metric stuff. A lot of the underhood 'stuff' can be replaced with non-rover replacements for much cheaper if you're willing to take the time and source it.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Here's my two cents on the rebuild:
Step 1: Unscrew VIN plate
Step 2: Order new "Parts" vehicle from UK (or Germany or wherever) without steering wheel
Step 3: Remove "Parts" vehicle VIN plate
Step 4: Swap VIN plates
Step 5: Attach old steering wheel to new steering column
Step 6: Start and drive "rebuilt" vehicle

If only it didn't cost so much (but some guy WAS selling an '04 until he got scared off).
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Does Texas do emissions testing? He can always just toss an edelbrock manifold and carburetor on top for now.
Our counties start emmisions testing on Sept 1st. I'm taking mine in tomorrow to get inspected so I won't have to worry about it for a year as I'm sure I'm borderline on passing.
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That stinks... was worth a shot.

Oh.... Dillo, you're PM box is full

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have an idea! He can sell it to me REAL cheap, and then I might have enough parts to keep my 90 running!
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:53 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Good thread!! I was thinking of starting one to see what ideas get tossed in. I really am split down the middle of keeping it for a rebuild despite my complete lack of mechanical skills, or just strip my mods off and buy another truck.

For a rebuild if I could swing it, I would like to do a TDI, but understanding this could prove quite costly, would go to a 4.6 as the second choice just for the upgraded engine. An automatic conversion too would be a nice touch as well.

I have a club meeting tomorrow night and I think a few of the local dealership mechanics are coming out to it so after the meeting I want to ask their thoughts as well since a few of them poured over the truck while it was there.

At the moment I cant start tearing anything off it as the insurance company want to send a "cause investigator" out to inspect the truck closer in the event they feel there is something they need to try to claim against LR.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:34 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I have a 4.0 with wiring harness and ECU. It has high miles but still runs very well, I think it had been rebuilt at some point prior to my owning it. If you want it it's yours, all you'll need is a new air compressor. Let me know if you're interested.
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:31 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Cool thanks David! maybe a 4.0 is in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:01 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I love that everybody keeps all their old parts!

I thought I was the only guy out there that was sure I could rebuild that leaking water pump (I know I can too).

Once you figure it out Chris post a list of stuff you need, I'm sure the source members could find most of it in their basements and garages.
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
If a rebuild is in the making then it could sit even closer if I can find room for the rest of the stuff in my garage.
If we go this route and you are willing to devote room in your garage for this, I would be more than willing to go shopping for a shed to put in your backyard if that works for the stuff you would want to move out of the garage.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:38 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I have an idea! He can sell it to me REAL cheap, and then I might have enough parts to keep my 90 running!

Now thats funny right there......

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:41 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
If we go this route and you are willing to devote room in your garage for this, I would be more than willing to go shopping for a shed to put in your backyard if that works for the stuff you would want to move out of the garage.
We can talk this weekend if you're free. The crew from work are taking out our boats to the Lake on Saturday and maybe Sunday if you're interested in tagging along. We'll be camped out on top of my friends houseboat in Devil's cove with like 6 gross of mardi gras beads encouraging the local college co-ed population to trade with us.
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:28 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Oh man, I am heading back to Philly for the weekend or I would be all over that plan.

Quote:
[/size]
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Cool thanks David! maybe a 4.0 is in the future.
Just ship your truck out to me and I'll install Daves motor and an auto for you as well,

Sorry to hear about this 'flambe' episode.

Of course a diesel would be my recomendation.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thanks Jim

got one hanging around?

Quote:
[/size]
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Someone should sneek this bad boy in, not quite yellow...but close enough....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wolf-Land-Rove...QQcmdZViewItem
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

That's easy to sneek in!
Bring it through Hollywood and pay Mike Myers to drive it through customs
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Just ship your truck out to me and I'll install Daves motor and an auto for you as well,"

Dibs on the old flywheel!

Actually, I can probably round up an auto.

Pendy I'll ship you my LWB and you can put my disco R380 in with CVC's flywheel and everyone will be happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
rebuild