Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 19th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Well then I get all excited, I'm like JoJo, the Indian circus boy with a pretty new pet.
Okay, you win, I got the lines wrong but my intentions were good.

To Red90's point (his last post) I do think the interior was spendy for no real purpose other than conspicuous consumption. For example, it's great that they did billet window cranks, but they clearly spent many hours re-engineering a dash board when a TD5 dash would have been a huge improvement and they should have focused on making more robust door cards to replace the shit plastic ones.

Remember though, a lot of this is driven by the customer. He wouldn't have taken this on speculatively (he clearly states that) and there had to be somebody with deep pockets and strong opinions behind this build.

If ICON really wanted to put their money (time) where their mouth was, they may have redesigned the entire structure (materials and set-up) under the tub so it's not a rust trap and waste of space.

Still, what I enjoyed most of the interview was the perspective on manufacturing and automotive design (big manufacturer vs. small manufacturing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You make useful upgraded components where warranted. The ICON Defender just had machined parts for the sake of being expensive. The overall interior layout was worse than stock as far as functionality went and not better looking (IMO). ICON4X4.COM PRESS
This.

And love the Tommy Boy lines btw!
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You make useful upgraded components where warranted. The ICON Defender just had machined parts for the sake of being expensive. The overall interior layout was worse than stock as far as functionality went and not better looking (IMO).

ICON4X4.COM PRESS
All that stainless steel would make me feel I was in a public restroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yall are still talking about this? The ICON90 was a waste of a Defender can we move on?
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

I love that dash. Wish mine looked that way.
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:45 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Expensive grey finishes and uninspired billet design doesn't make something great. I think my love of over-done things is well established, but nothing Icon does strikes me as anything more than being expensively modified with the purpose of demonstrating its expensive modification. It's actually conspicuous consumption and hipster sanctimony disguised as a refined aesthetic.
oooO.. Burn! wow..
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Breaking my own rules about trying to only say nice things, but criticism comes naturally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 19th, 2015, 04:52 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Ha ..no, I thought it was constructive criticism and witty
Old August 20th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
So, I ended up sending JW a very nice email evening before last. Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from him personally the very next morning! Super nice gentleman and we had a great conversation! Like everyone else, he was very glad to hear about the happy ending to our story! He just wished the outcome had been more widely covered by the automotive media.....

Well, if my email inbox this morning is any indication, it appears he's doing what he can to help get the news out there! Very cool sir and much thanks!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
So, I ended up sending JW a very nice email evening before last. Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from him personally the very next morning! Super nice gentleman and we had a great conversation! Like everyone else, he was very glad to hear about the happy ending to our story! He just wished the outcome had been more widely covered by the automotive media..... Well, if my email inbox this morning is any indication, it appears he's doing what he can to help get the news out there! Very cool sir and much thanks!
Very cool to hear!

I just hope he doesn't go around buying all the stock of UK/RoW stock like he did with the LC's

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat