Icon 4x4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
97Ariesblu's Avatar
97Ariesblu
Status: Offline
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: burlingame, Ca, USA
Posts: 258
Icon 4x4

www.icon4x4.com

Why the hell are these trucks so damn expensive...I want one so bad but i dont have 100K to spend...
If I bought a FJ40, would it be possible to get it like one of these MINUS th COST..I mean i dont need all the extras that they put on or at least not all of the things they do to their trucks but damn FRICKN expensive

btw..
Im looking for an FJ40 right now to build so if anyone knows of anything...CA
__________________
I wonder if I can drive over that..?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
JRW's Avatar
JRW
Status: Offline
John
94 D90 ST #1247
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 253
Probably the same reason a Defender restoration from ECR would be in the same price range. Looking (drooling) at the build pages, there is some serious parts, labor and attention to detail which go into these builds/restorations.
__________________
bjf -> Go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and build a new defender.
phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
EWR's Avatar
EWR
Status: Offline
Carey
1954 CJ-3B
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW View Post
Probably the same reason a Defender restoration from ECR would be in the same price range. Looking (drooling) at the build pages, there is some serious parts, labor and attention to detail which go into these builds/restorations.
bingo! Most people are completely clueless as to how much time goes into a restoration.
__________________
What tree?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:48 AM
jvelador's Avatar
jvelador
Status: Offline
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 592
TLC is a few blocks away from me so I've been there a few times. I happened to have taken my Series truck to get painted to one of the places that does all of TLCs paint work (yes, it's outsourced to a few local auto paint shops).

Anyhow, they had a couple of TLC's restoration projects in the shop. To describe their work as meticulous is an understatement. Every nut and bolt had been replaced throughout. I saw several stages of the paint process in one place and let me tell you, these guys were putting out what I perceived to be concourse-level quality. If their engine rebuild is as meticulous as the paint process, I can see how the labor alone makes up the bulk of their selling price.

Add to it a margin for profit by Jonathan, new parts, fabrication costs and it's easy to see why the prices are so high.

Of course, you can buy a used TLC and take it to various shops to have this work done. You can even take it to the same shops. But who has the time to take their vehicle to each place?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:53 AM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,526
Registry
From what I've read, all the body panels are custom repro...thicker and stronger than the original. The frame is custom too.

No Land Rover restorer does this currently. Just imagine a company that replaced all the Defender body panels with aluminum 50% thicker than original, with a custom hand-welded galvanized frame and bulkhead and every part powdercoated. Every knob and hinge replaced with CNC machined replacements. Not for everyone, but I can see why they charge the prices they do.

Icon 4x4 FJ's are supposedly in the "better than factory" category of builds.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:23 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
I actually looked at these and personally a restored D110 was far more attractive to me. The ICON 4x4 is unmistakably craftsmanship but seemed a bit barren to be my does it all daily driver/farm truck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM
jvelador's Avatar
jvelador
Status: Offline
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 592
Agreed. Between a $25k D90 and a TLC Icon, I chose my D90 simply because it is more practical, parts are easily available, it is more recognizable, etc.

You might have read this, but did you know TLC was commissioned by Toyota to build a concept for the FJ? The Icon was the result. I was actually working for Toyota at the time and was disappointed the Icon wasn't chosen. My guess is that it was more costly to mass-produce than the FJ.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador
Agreed. Between a $25k D90 and a TLC Icon, I chose my D90 simply because it is more practical, parts are easily available, it is more recognizable, etc.
greatest lie I have ever heard. You chose your 25k 90 because it was 25k. There isn't a person on here who if given the choice would choose a 25k 90 over an icon if they were both 25k.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
jvelador's Avatar
jvelador
Status: Offline
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 592
Whoa! You've read my posts and somehow you know me well?

Apparently, you have have rarely been lied to. I had a choice between my $25k D90 and a new FJ. I chose the D90 because it was more recognizable, the pedigree, etc.

Sell me an Icon for $12,500 and my D90 for $25k and I'd still choose my D90. Argue with me all you want, but you're gonna waste a lot of time and lose.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,958
I thought you were talking the choice between an icon and a defender not a fj cruiser and a defender. If you meant the cruiser obviously the defender every time. If we are talking the difference between a defender and an icon at the same price I can't see how you would want a defender.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,833
Registry
Icon is doing to Willys and FJ40's what a couple of UK shops try to do with defenders. They take an old doner truck and build something to the latest spec. Not sure how legal what ICON is doing but its a big no on importing a modernized truck.
When you buy an Icon vehicle the title is for an old truck but from what I can see there is no part of the original truck used.....perhaps I'm wrong.
Anyone interested in buying an Icon should speak with Martin Podgorski first.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM
chris snell's Avatar
chris snell
Status: Offline
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador
Agreed. Between a $25k D90 and a TLC Icon, I chose my D90 simply because it is more practical, parts are easily available, it is more recognizable, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador View Post
Whoa! You've read my posts and somehow you know me well?

Apparently, you have have rarely been lied to. I had a choice between my $25k D90 and a new FJ. I chose the D90 because it was more recognizable, the pedigree, etc.
Wait, what? Get your story straight.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,783
Registry
Personally I love the FJ40. I had one that I dropped a 425hp 383 stroker in it and it was the fastest and most fun truck I even driven but seriously for $114,000 I would of expected more than leaf springs. Ok maybe because the Piano man owned it its worth the money.


http://dealerrevs.com/car/52687473
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
kevkon's Avatar
kevkon
Status: Offline
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chester,nj
Posts: 673
Let's be really honest here. We are talking about the Defender and the FJ 40 both of which are very basic utilitarian vehicles designed primarily for rough use. These are not complex vehicles and that's one of their greatest assets in tough environments.
Now we have these vehicles offered via re-building or fabrication at well over $100,000.
They have become just another toy on the list for the super wealthy.
And as much as I appreciate the quality of these re-buit vehicles, I really don't see the point since any serious off-roading can become quite an expensive excursion and these trucks are not going to do any better than a modified $25k Jeep.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM
jvelador's Avatar
jvelador
Status: Offline
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 592
I'll make it super simple for ya. Defender over either FJ or any Icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Wait, what? Get your story straight.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM
grnrvrs's Avatar
grnrvrs
Status: Offline
Paul
88
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: west
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
If we are talking the difference between a defender and an icon at the same price I can't see how you would want a defender.
You're assuming rational decision making, right? How many LR purchases are rational? None of mine...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Icon is doing to Willys and FJ40's what a couple of UK shops try to do with defenders. They take an old doner truck and build something to the latest spec. Not sure how legal what ICON is doing but its a big no on importing a modernized truck.
When you buy an Icon vehicle the title is for an old truck but from what I can see there is no part of the original truck used.....perhaps I'm wrong.
Anyone interested in buying an Icon should speak with Martin Podgorski first.

I think the reason it is ok is because they are using American parts and engines that are legal and I htink made in the USA. Now if you go and try to export one I am sure you have to deal with whether or not it is legal in the destination country.

These trucks are rebuilt in the same manner a Defender is. There is no new FJ to go off of so these truly are custom. Every part may be new but it isn't a revin by any means since there is no new truck used as a donor.

jvelador,

I still think you are full of shit. If I offered you a straight up trade a new icon Fj for your defender you would kick your defender to the curb instantly as would most people who are driving 30k defenders.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
EWR's Avatar
EWR
Status: Offline
Carey
1954 CJ-3B
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Let's be really honest here. We are talking about the Defender and the FJ 40 both of which are very basic utilitarian vehicles designed primarily for rough use. These are not complex vehicles and that's one of their greatest assets in tough environments.
Now we have these vehicles offered via re-building or fabrication at well over $100,000.
They have become just another toy on the list for the super wealthy.
And as much as I appreciate the quality of these re-buit vehicles, I really don't see the point since any serious off-roading can become quite an expensive excursion and these trucks are not going to do any better than a modified $25k Jeep.
Very true statement. I have watched a mildly modified Jeep (TJ) on 33 " tires make most built trucks look foolish. I'm sure some will chime in that a 90 can be built up, and they can. But about 20K or less, you can have a Jeep that will make your 90 look like a child's toy.....that's a fact.
No, the Jeep doesn't have the coolness factor.
The Defender is indeed just a "toy".

The ICON is not for everyone. However, for those that want a "can do" type of vehicle, this is a bargain.
__________________
What tree?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,526
Registry
The same goes for people who buy Jeep Cherokees and Suzuki Sammies. Heck, even a Disco I is basically a Defender just with a different looking body.

If one wants to make insane trail rigs on a budget, there are much cheaper things to build up that one wouldn't mind destroying.

I personally feel like Defenders are kind of special, heritage vehicles. Which is why I think people are willing to pay $100k+ for one.

I try not to judge the ridiculously wealthy, they live in a different world where money doesn't mean the same thing to us mortals I would rather they spend $100k on a really nice Icon FJ or Defender than on a bunch of designer handbags and shoes anyways. In the end it only helps the value of our trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,783
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
Very true statement. I have watched a mildly modified Jeep (TJ) on 33 " tires make most built trucks look foolish. I'm sure some will chime in that a 90 can be built up, and they can. But about 20K or less, you can have a Jeep that will make your 90 look like a child's toy.....that's a fact.
No, the Jeep doesn't have the coolness factor.
The Defender is indeed just a "toy".

The ICON is not for everyone. However, for those that want a "can do" type of vehicle, this is a bargain.

Ok ill be the one to chime in...the 90 I just sold to Javier for 25k could run with any other street legal Jeep offroad without exception. Ask Abeer. It walked up Cleghorn mt the wrong way to help recover him. But to your point it cost the previous owner 30k in parts and labor to get it that way and that doesnt include the price of the truck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
4x4

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JC's Rover & 4x4 - anyone need any work done? JCRover4x4 Defender Technical Discussions 3 July 11th, 2011 04:24 PM
Brand New RUD Grip 4x4 Tire Chains Steve Friedman For Sale - Parts 0 February 23rd, 2006 04:41 PM
Equipe 4x4 NashvilleRedD90 Misc. Chit-Chat 2 June 22nd, 2005 11:40 AM
95 D90 Shifter 4x4 Vadim Defender Technical Discussions 4 September 21st, 2004 11:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Copyright