Icon 4x4 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:34 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
I'm not saying the Icon was anything short of amazing...I'm just saying it was a little simple for my needs. If I had room for both and didn't want a Series III I would get one in addition to the D110.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:40 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
I'm not saying the Icon was anything short of amazing...I'm just saying it was a little simple for my needs. If I had room for both and didn't want a Series III I would get one in addition to the D110.
I would want both, or better yet an Icon version of the Defender. They are about to complete their version of the Bronco. I've talked to J. Ward about trying to do something similar with the Defenders.

I don't understand what you mean by "a little simple for my needs". They are both equally "spartan" trucks. Both equally utilitarian in design and function. Neither one has more or less than the other. If you mean the Icon doesn't have any cheap plastic pieces of trim and vinyl, or cheap fasteners.........yes. They are built like aircraft from WW2. Otherwise they are both coil sprung, 4WD, trucks with heat/AC and radios. I would argue that the Land Rover is more "simple" and particularly cheap in quality of their "trim" and cosmetics.
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
I would want both, or better yet an Icon version of the Defender. They are about to complete their version of the Bronco. I've talked to J. Ward about trying to do something similar with the Defenders.

I don't understand what you mean by "a little simple for my needs". They are both equally "spartan" trucks. Both equally utilitarian in design and function. Neither one has more or less than the other. If you mean the Icon doesn't have any cheap plastic pieces of trim and vinyl, or cheap fasteners.........yes. They are built like aircraft from WW2. Otherwise they are both coil sprung, 4WD, trucks with heat/AC and radios. I would argue that the Land Rover is more "simple" and particularly cheap in quality of their "trim" and cosmetics.
Honestly what I wanted was a hard top and had Icon made a hard top version of that four door FJ44 I would likely considered it more. The dash on the 110 that I have is basically updated to a 2002 Td5 dash and while yes its a plastic sea and in no way compares to the ICON aircraft precision I still prefer the 110's. Call me a fanboy but I've seen both and there was no hesitation. I never went as far as to price it out but I assume that prices would be about the same or less for an ICON as compared to an "ECR style" restoration on a 110. Am I wrong??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Price for an Icon FJ44 is $145K on the very low end and $165K for modest basic.

Not as familiar with the ECR prices but from the totality of what I've "heard" it would be similar.

BOTH would essentially be hand built from the chassis up, ie EVERY piece replaced.

BUT, you CAN do a very, very nice restoration on a 110 for less than $75K to $100K. Especially if you did a lot of the work yourself (maybe even around $50K). That is the REAL advantage of the 110 over the Icon.

YOU can do much of the work yourself. The problem is most people THINK they can do a nice job and only end up doing a HACK job (myself included in that statement). This is in comparison to real experts with the experience and TOOLS that many people lack.

If you had someone else take your 110, replace/galvanize the chassis, put in a nice new powerplant (300tdi or 2.8PS), put in a reman tranny and TC, upgraded axles/lockers, did an expert paint job...........you would easily be over $100K and 12 to 18 months into the project. How much is your time worth?

I also have the Td5 dash and even the bulkhead........still don't love it but much better than pre-Td5. The problem with the dash is the LACK of simplicity........they ruin it with all the cheap plastic and vinyl. The Puma dash is even better but too "car like".

The Icon dash is essentially like a Series II dash (MY FAVORITE!!!) Essentially flush mounted gauges and switches. My ideal would be a Defender with a Series II dash.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
This is cool: http://www.streetfire.net/video/1000...ash_738449.htm

I learned some stuff I didn't know about. Anyone have pictures of that Bronco project?
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:16 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Icon Bronco project

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933492/1968-ford-bronco
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Wow! That Bronco build up is amazing. Imagine what he could do with a Defender!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:01 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Thats very cool. Personally Id rather see them do it with an SII than a Defender. John do they have any interest in doing a LR?
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Like i said before, I really appreciate the mechanics of the Icon trucks. In many ways it is similar to what we used to do to racing cars years ago only with more emphisis on aesthetics. However, I still have to wonder what the point is other than bragging rights. Are these trucks really a step forward in the evolution of the originals? What I mean is , are these more capable and dependable in extreme environments than the original models? Are they really utility vehicles? Or is that just not relevant?
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Thats very cool. Personally Id rather see them do it with an SII than a Defender. John do they have any interest in doing a LR?
Unfortunately despite my pleading and begging they have no interest in doing LR. I think is has to do with possible lack of collaboration with LR, ie not much support there.

------ Follow up post added September 13th, 2011 11:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Like i said before, I really appreciate the mechanics of the Icon trucks. In many ways it is similar to what we used to do to racing cars years ago only with more emphisis on aesthetics. However, I still have to wonder what the point is other than bragging rights. Are these trucks really a step forward in the evolution of the originals? What I mean is , are these more capable and dependable in extreme environments than the original models? Are they really utility vehicles? Or is that just not relevant?
Better engine, better transmission, better TC, better axles, better brakes.........these trucks are more durable and reliable than the originals they are trying to clone. You can argue some more electronics, ie fuel injection, but other than that better in every other wasy.
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
John who restored your defender and how about a side by side pic?
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post

Better engine, better transmission, better TC, better axles, better brakes.........these trucks are more durable and reliable than the originals they are trying to clone. You can argue some more electronics, ie fuel injection, but other than that better in every other wasy.
No doubt given their cost. However, the originals were already pretty reliable 4x4s and easy to fix in the field. Also, there are tons of upgrades available that are well within reason.
Like I said, I definately appreciate what goes into the Icon, I am just not sure what it's really for.
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
i wonder if anyone has taken their d90 and reconfigured it will all top shelf, modern components like ICON is doing but using the original body and frame. You know, dynatrax axles, linked susp, coilovers, brakes, etc. I know in the build up section a guy put in an LS engine and a whole lotta stuff, but wonder if anyone else has 'ICON' ized their truck, not 'ECR' ed it, but do sort of what ICON does.
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I dont think they use the original frame
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
no, it doesnt look like they do. i just wondered if anyone has done it, minus the original body and frame. i really like the idea, especially a series III dash and a few things... i really like the ICON's however they are not D90's. I would love to re-do a d90 and keep another 'original', to me that would the complete 'package' you know?
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
no, it doesnt look like they do. i just wondered if anyone has done it, minus the original body and frame. i really like the idea, especially a series III dash and a few things... i really like the ICON's however they are not D90's. I would love to re-do a d90 and keep another 'original', to me that would the complete 'package' you know?
The D90 was complete when it rolled off the assembly line. What is the point of keeping only the body and frame? This type of thinking troubles me. You don't want the D90, you just want the look of the D90. I don't understand that.
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
yep, pretty much. kind of like when hot rod shops will restor a 69 camaro but with all modern components. no don't get me wrong, it is not a one or the other with me, it is both. ideally, i would love both, one original like from the showroom, and another "updated". just like i really dig an original 69 SS camaro, but also the ones with an updated restoration.

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2011 04:57 PM ------

also, on second thot, if the d90 was perfect as is off the showroom, why do so many of us put lifts, different wheels/tires etc., on them?.... just a thot for those of us who do "modify" them abit are obviously looking to improve something, are we not? so then, where does one cross the line into the area of too much modifying? (like the ICON's?)
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I dont think they use the original frame
Barry is correct. It is not "original" frame. It is designed/engineered and manufactured with the components already in mind.

This is why simply taking a D90 chassis and body and just "bolting on" axles, links, and corvette engines make it a POS..........IMHO. It just doesn't work or have the same effect.

You would have to "modernize" the D90 underpinnings from the bottom up yet stay true to overall design esthetic.
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Video is cool. ARB really sucks though
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
i totally understand what you are saying john and completely agree. upon further thought, yes, to have it truely modernized would require a newly engineered frame as well. anyone ever done that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
4x4