Icon 4x4 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:34 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
I'm not saying the Icon was anything short of amazing...I'm just saying it was a little simple for my needs. If I had room for both and didn't want a Series III I would get one in addition to the D110.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:40 AM
nikojo's Avatar
nikojo
Status: Offline
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fly over Country
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
I'm not saying the Icon was anything short of amazing...I'm just saying it was a little simple for my needs. If I had room for both and didn't want a Series III I would get one in addition to the D110.
I would want both, or better yet an Icon version of the Defender. They are about to complete their version of the Bronco. I've talked to J. Ward about trying to do something similar with the Defenders.

I don't understand what you mean by "a little simple for my needs". They are both equally "spartan" trucks. Both equally utilitarian in design and function. Neither one has more or less than the other. If you mean the Icon doesn't have any cheap plastic pieces of trim and vinyl, or cheap fasteners.........yes. They are built like aircraft from WW2. Otherwise they are both coil sprung, 4WD, trucks with heat/AC and radios. I would argue that the Land Rover is more "simple" and particularly cheap in quality of their "trim" and cosmetics.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
I would want both, or better yet an Icon version of the Defender. They are about to complete their version of the Bronco. I've talked to J. Ward about trying to do something similar with the Defenders.

I don't understand what you mean by "a little simple for my needs". They are both equally "spartan" trucks. Both equally utilitarian in design and function. Neither one has more or less than the other. If you mean the Icon doesn't have any cheap plastic pieces of trim and vinyl, or cheap fasteners.........yes. They are built like aircraft from WW2. Otherwise they are both coil sprung, 4WD, trucks with heat/AC and radios. I would argue that the Land Rover is more "simple" and particularly cheap in quality of their "trim" and cosmetics.
Honestly what I wanted was a hard top and had Icon made a hard top version of that four door FJ44 I would likely considered it more. The dash on the 110 that I have is basically updated to a 2002 Td5 dash and while yes its a plastic sea and in no way compares to the ICON aircraft precision I still prefer the 110's. Call me a fanboy but I've seen both and there was no hesitation. I never went as far as to price it out but I assume that prices would be about the same or less for an ICON as compared to an "ECR style" restoration on a 110. Am I wrong??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #44  
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM
nikojo's Avatar
nikojo
Status: Offline
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fly over Country
Posts: 587
Price for an Icon FJ44 is $145K on the very low end and $165K for modest basic.

Not as familiar with the ECR prices but from the totality of what I've "heard" it would be similar.

BOTH would essentially be hand built from the chassis up, ie EVERY piece replaced.


BUT, you CAN do a very, very nice restoration on a 110 for less than $75K to $100K. Especially if you did a lot of the work yourself (maybe even around $50K). That is the REAL advantage of the 110 over the Icon.

YOU can do much of the work yourself. The problem is most people THINK they can do a nice job and only end up doing a HACK job (myself included in that statement). This is in comparison to real experts with the experience and TOOLS that many people lack.

If you had someone else take your 110, replace/galvanize the chassis, put in a nice new powerplant (300tdi or 2.8PS), put in a reman tranny and TC, upgraded axles/lockers, did an expert paint job...........you would easily be over $100K and 12 to 18 months into the project. How much is your time worth?

I also have the Td5 dash and even the bulkhead........still don't love it but much better than pre-Td5. The problem with the dash is the LACK of simplicity........they ruin it with all the cheap plastic and vinyl. The Puma dash is even better but too "car like".

The Icon dash is essentially like a Series II dash (MY FAVORITE!!!) Essentially flush mounted gauges and switches. My ideal would be a Defender with a Series II dash.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
This is cool: http://www.streetfire.net/video/1000...ash_738449.htm

I learned some stuff I didn't know about. Anyone have pictures of that Bronco project?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:16 AM
nikojo's Avatar
nikojo
Status: Offline
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fly over Country
Posts: 587
Icon Bronco project

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933492/1968-ford-bronco
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM
jvelador's Avatar
jvelador
Status: Offline
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 592
Wow! That Bronco build up is amazing. Imagine what he could do with a Defender!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:01 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,782
Registry
Thats very cool. Personally Id rather see them do it with an SII than a Defender. John do they have any interest in doing a LR?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM
kevkon's Avatar
kevkon
Status: Offline
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chester,nj
Posts: 673
Like i said before, I really appreciate the mechanics of the Icon trucks. In many ways it is similar to what we used to do to racing cars years ago only with more emphisis on aesthetics. However, I still have to wonder what the point is other than bragging rights. Are these trucks really a step forward in the evolution of the originals? What I mean is , are these more capable and dependable in extreme environments than the original models? Are they really utility vehicles? Or is that just not relevant?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM
nikojo's Avatar
nikojo
Status: Offline
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fly over Country
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Thats very cool. Personally Id rather see them do it with an SII than a Defender. John do they have any interest in doing a LR?
Unfortunately despite my pleading and begging they have no interest in doing LR. I think is has to do with possible lack of collaboration with LR, ie not much support there.

------ Follow up post added September 13th, 2011 11:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Like i said before, I really appreciate the mechanics of the Icon trucks. In many ways it is similar to what we used to do to racing cars years ago only with more emphisis on aesthetics. However, I still have to wonder what the point is other than bragging rights. Are these trucks really a step forward in the evolution of the originals? What I mean is , are these more capable and dependable in extreme environments than the original models? Are they really utility vehicles? Or is that just not relevant?
Better engine, better transmission, better TC, better axles, better brakes.........these trucks are more durable and reliable than the originals they are trying to clone. You can argue some more electronics, ie fuel injection, but other than that better in every other wasy.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
cwilder's Avatar
cwilder
Status: Offline
Chad
2012 110 Black
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 739
Registry
John who restored your defender and how about a side by side pic?
__________________
_________________________________
2016 Range Rover TD6
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM
kevkon's Avatar
kevkon
Status: Offline
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chester,nj
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post


Better engine, better transmission, better TC, better axles, better brakes.........these trucks are more durable and reliable than the originals they are trying to clone. You can argue some more electronics, ie fuel injection, but other than that better in every other wasy.
No doubt given their cost. However, the originals were already pretty reliable 4x4s and easy to fix in the field. Also, there are tons of upgrades available that are well within reason.
Like I said, I definately appreciate what goes into the Icon, I am just not sure what it's really for.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
wantone
Status: Offline
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha
Posts: 315
Registry
i wonder if anyone has taken their d90 and reconfigured it will all top shelf, modern components like ICON is doing but using the original body and frame. You know, dynatrax axles, linked susp, coilovers, brakes, etc. I know in the build up section a guy put in an LS engine and a whole lotta stuff, but wonder if anyone else has 'ICON' ized their truck, not 'ECR' ed it, but do sort of what ICON does.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,958
I dont think they use the original frame
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
wantone
Status: Offline
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha
Posts: 315
Registry
no, it doesnt look like they do. i just wondered if anyone has done it, minus the original body and frame. i really like the idea, especially a series III dash and a few things... i really like the ICON's however they are not D90's. I would love to re-do a d90 and keep another 'original', to me that would the complete 'package' you know?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
chris snell's Avatar
chris snell
Status: Offline
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
no, it doesnt look like they do. i just wondered if anyone has done it, minus the original body and frame. i really like the idea, especially a series III dash and a few things... i really like the ICON's however they are not D90's. I would love to re-do a d90 and keep another 'original', to me that would the complete 'package' you know?
The D90 was complete when it rolled off the assembly line. What is the point of keeping only the body and frame? This type of thinking troubles me. You don't want the D90, you just want the look of the D90. I don't understand that.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM
wantone
Status: Offline
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha
Posts: 315
Registry
yep, pretty much. kind of like when hot rod shops will restor a 69 camaro but with all modern components. no don't get me wrong, it is not a one or the other with me, it is both. ideally, i would love both, one original like from the showroom, and another "updated". just like i really dig an original 69 SS camaro, but also the ones with an updated restoration.

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2011 04:57 PM ------

also, on second thot, if the d90 was perfect as is off the showroom, why do so many of us put lifts, different wheels/tires etc., on them?.... just a thot for those of us who do "modify" them abit are obviously looking to improve something, are we not? so then, where does one cross the line into the area of too much modifying? (like the ICON's?)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
nikojo's Avatar
nikojo
Status: Offline
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fly over Country
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I dont think they use the original frame
Barry is correct. It is not "original" frame. It is designed/engineered and manufactured with the components already in mind.

This is why simply taking a D90 chassis and body and just "bolting on" axles, links, and corvette engines make it a POS..........IMHO. It just doesn't work or have the same effect.

You would have to "modernize" the D90 underpinnings from the bottom up yet stay true to overall design esthetic.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,958
Video is cool. ARB really sucks though
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM
wantone
Status: Offline
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha
Posts: 315
Registry
i totally understand what you are saying john and completely agree. upon further thought, yes, to have it truely modernized would require a newly engineered frame as well. anyone ever done that?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
4x4

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JC's Rover & 4x4 - anyone need any work done? JCRover4x4 Defender Technical Discussions 3 July 11th, 2011 04:24 PM
Brand New RUD Grip 4x4 Tire Chains Steve Friedman For Sale - Parts 0 February 23rd, 2006 04:41 PM
Equipe 4x4 NashvilleRedD90 Misc. Chit-Chat 2 June 22nd, 2005 11:40 AM
95 D90 Shifter 4x4 Vadim Defender Technical Discussions 4 September 21st, 2004 11:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Copyright