Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 30th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
ICON 110 make Foxnews front page

ICON Land Rover Defender 110 Test Drive

"The venerable Land Rover Defender is nearing the end of the road. On sale since 1983, it’s scheduled to be replaced by an all-new model in 2018.

Of course, Americans are already used to not having them around. A small number of the off-roaders were imported in the 1990s, but when those pesky safety and emission regulations got too tough for them, Land Rover decided it wasn’t worth the money to keep them up to date, so it stopped selling them here.

That was right on the cusp of the SUV explosion, and, in retrospect, maybe not the best idea. A couple of years later, rival Mercedes-Benz started importing a luxury version of the even more ancient G-Class, which is still on sale today for starting prices as high as $218,000.

Land Rover has a model that costs about that much, too, but it’s a version of the super-slick Range Rover. The appeal of the G-Class is its unique combination of old-time utilitarianism with high performance engines and luxury trimmings.

It’s not too hard to imagine that a Defender done up the same way would have been pretty cool. In fact, you don’t have to imagine it at all, because someone else already did.

California-based custom car manufacturer ICON has reinvigorated a four-door Defender 110 for a client, blending its classic style with modern amenities and performance. Company founder Jonathan Ward says the idea behind it was to envision what the original designers might have done if they hadn’t been shackled by the tight budget that went with what was designed primarily to be a military machine.

.... "

full article:

ICON Land Rover Defender 110 Test Drive | Fox News

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
$350k build. Makes my $120k truck look like a Craigslist scam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 30th, 2015, 04:18 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Like most, I like JWs work, but always considered him a lifetime LC modifier. We've got a lot of great Defender shops (many on the forum), would prefer to see the media focus on them instead.. (and I am not including West Coast Defender in that group)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
$350k build. Makes my $120k truck look like a Craigslist scam.
I'd rather have yours.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old October 30th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbo View Post
I'd rather have yours.

I think most anyone would...
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I think most anyone would...
Yep. me too.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:20 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Twist my arm, make me take the ICON D...It just makes me wonder why LR gave up on the NAS market when MB reintroduced the Gelandewagen and has done well with it...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I'd take the ICON...somehow I'd feel validated sitting on Bison leather seats and knowing I paid $350k...
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:28 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
The Icon Defender 4x4 - Gear Patrol

i have watched this video a while ago. just listened to the commentary.
he is SPOT on with the bolt on $hit. "my $h!t has more $h!t on it than your $h!t".
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ICON is laughing all the way to the bank
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:35 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i dont think so as much as one would think.
remember they dont buy parts and piece them together.... he MAKE and BUILD them.
much better built quality than buying a bunch of: brit parts, kahn, ect.... piecing them together.

i just had that jeep thing here for a couple days "the dog". it was simple but was "made" not restored. it was crazy.
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:40 PM
havens51
joseph
'97 NAS D90 ST, '88 D110, '16 LR 4

Registry
Gee, I wonder if anyone has seen one of these Icons come in from Mexico or Canada for the allowed 1 year period?
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:33 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

As someone said before, I think their margins are probably good, but not insanely good. I find it interesting to see the mixed reactions people have to ICON. I don't dislike their product. Would never buy one from them, but I acknowledge that they make a product that fits a market. Just like some people pay exorbitant amounts of money for a refurbished antique, some people out there like defenders but also want a high power engine, plush interiors and a comfortable ride. Here's where purists tear their robes and demand those "posseurs" go buy a G-wagen or just go... And I really don't get that!
Why the judgement? In fact I'm a bit surprised about how civilized this thread is so far!!
Imho their $350,000 makes all our cars a bit more valuable. So live and let live.
Old September 8th, 2016, 09:19 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/c...aily/45220562/

I wish I could link to this but there is an interview of Jonathon Ward with a tour of the ICON shop.

In one scene they show 20-30 classic Bronco's lined up outside (made me think why the price of classic Broncos has gone up). They didn't talk about the Toyota Land Cruisers but I think that will be a future episode.

The Bronco they do is very slick. And one scene shows a rolling chassis that is super clean. Ward also explains some Derelicts getting built as well as a TR.

Nothing but a sentence or 2 about the Land Rover. The host mentions it and Ward gives a groan. He has a Bentley getting a Derelict treatment and takes a shot or 2 to British engineering. Like he says he has a love/hate relationship with GB cars.
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:26 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
JW definitely does some cool stuff, always dug this segment where he did a talk at Nike:
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, news