Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 18th, 2016, 01:24 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
You have no idea what kind of debt I'm going into to purchase the first batch of books, get the required insurance, banner, vehicle decals, handouts, proof versions of the book used for book reviews & for editing, shipping boxes, and lots more when I live on retirement income that is well below the poverty level. Without sitting down with receipts I'd guess I'm between six and seven months gross income in debt trying to launch the book and I haven't left home yet. If I don't sell a bunch of books at the Expo I just might be seen at the entrance of a shopping centre holding up a sign that reads "Traveling, need gas money". Personally I think the book is very good, my editors think it is very good, and I think as word gets out it will sell well for it genera. But who knows, people may think it too expensive, though it is in colour and cheaper than Tom Sheppard's B&W version (Colour printing just about doubles the printing cost). If I could, I would love to sell the book for the printing cost. But I need to make back the money I have spent or be in a world of financial hurt for years to come. It is also why I'm jonesing so hard to try and win the coolest overlanding truck contest. First prize is a certificate for $500 of gear purchased from expo vendors on the last day of the show. Most of my recovery gear is over 35 years old and past its useful life or gone. I'm currently down to my shovel, hi-Lift jack, and a set of waffle ladders I was recently given. Oh and one shackle. Thanks for your vote. I wish I can give a discount for multiple books but right now I just can't.
And I thought I was the only Rover owner living paycheck to paycheck.
I'm not even prepared for anything. Aaaaagh !!!
Sounds like I'm not that bad off after all.
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Kenoa
Kenoa
None ...yet

Voted, I'm going to pass it on to some friends of mine Im sure they will too. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
Vote cast. More info on your book please. Would like to help out by purchasing a book. Have enjoyed and benefited from your writings/website and photography. Thanks and best of luck!

Jeff
The book, "The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada. A Resource for Independent Travel and Camping" is both a How-to and a why-to. Why you might make one choice over another depending upon your individual situation.

The book is divided into three sections: Getting started, gearing up for extended overland travel, and going out on the trail. Content includes the basics of choosing a primitive camp site, cooking on the trail, proper hydration, choosing clothing based upon the fabric blend and not appearance, driving over different terrains, getting unstuck, choosing and using recovery gear that’s appropriate for your vehicle, traveling with others, communication options, maintenance, and much more. Throughout the book there is a focus on traveling in harmony with nature and leaving no trace behind as you travel and camp.

My best analogy would be to think of Tom Sheppard's book which is focused primarily on North African travel using gear available in the EU. My book covers most of the same topis only focuses on North American travel using gear available in North America with a strong focus on traveling in harmony with nature to keep open access open. I also think my book is a lot more readable.

The book represents what I have learned in 38 years of travel and camping in my 1960 Land Rover Dormobile and my understanding of what gear is currently available in North America.

The book has a web site: Guide to Overland Travel in the US and Canada

You will find additional information and the complete table of contents on the site. When I return home, I will add a buy it now button on the web site allowing people to purchase autographed copies of my book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

voted for The Green Rover. 556 likes so far..
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

How can this have more votes than the Green Rover?!?
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:43 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Vote cast, closing the gap Teri!
Old September 19th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Clearly the coolest! Voted!
Old September 19th, 2016, 06:10 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
WOO HOO!!!

TeriAnn is in the lead! 598 to 596!

Keep voting. I've voted on all my computers.

Mike & Carrie
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I just voted.

Is it possible to preorder the book? That way it will magically arrive one day as a nice surprise.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:06 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
BUMP!

The evil 4runner pulled ahead again. Our TeriAnn is 22 votes behind. Keep voting for TeriAnn!!!

See link below.

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
The folks putting on the Overland Expo East is having a "Cool Ride" contest for people attending the show. They have set up a web page for every vehicle that enters and a like button below each vehicle entry. You are only allowed to vote once (I think it is handled by a cookie). Anyway since I will be there selling copies of my new book and teaching classes I entered my 1960 Land Rover Dormobile. The Green Rover — Overland Expo

I'm being outvoted by a vanilla looking 2005 Toyota 4Runner with a roof tent. He is doing a better job than I am at going to various forums and begging for votes. So I thought I had better up my game.

I would very much appreciate you going to the web page with my entry and voting for the 56 year old 1960 Land Rover Dormobile that I have owned and traveled in for the past 38 years. How is a 2005 vanilla Toyota 4Runner a cooler overland travel vehicle than a Series Land Rover Dormobile with decades of overland travels in its history???

In case you are wondering, the winner gets a certificate worth $500 for purchases from expo vendors during the last day of the show. Most of my recovery gear is over 35 years of age and should be replaced or updated.

SO please, I would very much appreciate your vote.
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:14 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I just voted.

Is it possible to preorder the book? That way it will magically arrive one day as a nice surprise.
No. I'm sorry but all the logistics of getting the books and myself to NC , teaching classes at the expo, loading the truck, and more, are about all I can handle at the moment.

My first focus is 200 books at the expo.
Later they will available, unsigned from Amazon.
When I get back home I will add a PayPal buy it now button to the book's web site so people can purchase signed copies directly from me.

There is also a one time printing of a special mendo_recce edition I need to get a proof copy printed. The mendo_recce version is hardbound, on heavy paper with deluxe colour printing and about 40 additional pages. The additional pages include a history of the mendo_recce email group (in its 22nd year) and over 30 pages of pictures of members & vehicles at mendo events. This in addition to the contents of the regular book edition. Right now I'm guessing that there will only be about 100 copies of this version printed.

Old September 21st, 2016, 01:17 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

voted... Good luck!

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:39 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
TeriAnn, did you win?

Mike & Carrie
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:57 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
TeriAnn, did you win?

Mike & Carrie
what was the out come, the Web page I can not load?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat