I touched it and now it's broken (winches) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:10 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I touched it and now it's broken (winches)

SOOOO. I quit my job and decided that the week off I have before I started the new gig was a perfect time to get to all those defender projects i kept putting off because "i didn't have time" One of which was a new front bumper. My old setup was the stock bumper with a "hidden winch" plate to which a WARN xd9000 was mounted. This winch was installed in 1995 by rovers north(before it was the 4x4 center) and has a remote controller type setup so the controller plugs in by the driver seat. Long story short, whoever installed it custom wired the entire control box and now that custom wiring is 18 years old and looks like corroded spaghetti and I have no idea which wire does what.

Today I took off the front bumper. I did not undo one single wire connected to the winch (the winch is now zip tied to the frame) but magically, the winch no longer works. it's completely dead but prior to bumper removal it worked flawlessly. I can now go back and trace all the connections and troubleshoot this but my question is this:

Is an 18 year old xd9000 worth going through the 18 year old wiring or should I just start fresh when a Zeon 10K is like 1100 bucks on Amazon? It's been 18 years in winch technology.. does it really matter? Will I gain that much by upgrading or should I fix what I got?
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Save yourself $1100 and fix what you've got. If you've got a multimeter you can back trace the wiring, but the two times I've had an issue with mine I believe it was a bad ground to the solenoid. $1100 is no small chunk of change, and I'm sporting an old Warn M10000 that I've managed to keep going with minimal effort.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
SOOOO. I quit my job and decided that the week off I have before I started the new gig was a perfect time to get to all those defender projects i kept putting off because "i didn't have time" One of which was a new front bumper. My old setup was the stock bumper with a "hidden winch" plate to which a WARN xd9000 was mounted. This winch was installed in 1995 by rovers north(before it was the 4x4 center) and has a remote controller type setup so the controller plugs in by the driver seat. Long story short, whoever installed it custom wired the entire control box and now that custom wiring is 18 years old and looks like corroded spaghetti and I have no idea which wire does what.

Today I took off the front bumper. I did not undo one single wire connected to the winch (the winch is now zip tied to the frame) but magically, the winch no longer works. it's completely dead but prior to bumper removal it worked flawlessly. I can now go back and trace all the connections and troubleshoot this but my question is this:

Is an 18 year old xd9000 worth going through the 18 year old wiring or should I just start fresh when a Zeon 10K is like 1100 bucks on Amazon? It's been 18 years in winch technology.. does it really matter? Will I gain that much by upgrading or should I fix what I got?
I am no winch expert but when it was mounted is that how it was grounded and you disturbed that?

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:32 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I second fixing what you have I have a old husky 8500 that I thought was dead put 2 new solenoids on it costing 40 dollars and it runs like a champ now - for the amount of times I have actually used it (zero) I'm sure spending money on a new one would be of no real benefit
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Id try grounding it just as thomas mentioned. When I rebuilt my 8274, I got new wires that connected each solenoid off of Amazon for a few dollars each and matched it back up to the wiring diagram. Worked perfectly.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
X4 on the ground, my old D90 had a similar set up, the winch was daisy chain grounded to the bumper and from the bumper to the frame horn
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I thought about the grounding aspect but then figured there was no way it would be designed that way considering there is no way to tell (as the manufacturer) how or to what your customer is going to mount the thing. It is the only thing I've changed though so that is the most probable answer.
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:24 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
The ground should have been bolted onto the winch, near the bottom if memory serves.

The contactors/solenoids are famous for giving out, but that's a $100 repair vs a whole new winch. With the money you save you can go buy some new synthetic winch line.
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:30 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
The ground should have been bolted onto the winch, near the bottom if memory serves.

The contactors/solenoids are famous for giving out, but that's a $100 repair vs a whole new winch. With the money you save you can go buy some new synthetic winch line.
Well there is that tiny ground wire that runs off the bottom of the motor. Is that what you're referring to? If so, that is till connected. Does it also need to be grounded through the mounts?
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:27 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
That tiny ground is also the ground for the contactor, but would never be enough to power the winch as well. So yours is grounding via the frame mounts, yes.
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:18 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
If possible, I'd run a dedicated ground wire to the battery. A winch draws lots of current and it needs a high capacity path. Don't want to choke it off.
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Throw all of that wiring in the garbage. Find a wiring diagram for the winch on the internet and run new wiring for yourself. Winches are not complicated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
winch