Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bill,
Thanks for the write up and your impressions. Much appreciated.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:23 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

No problem Doug, glad to be the guinea pig lol

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

So you have Thanksgiving, grilling a maple brine turkey up for the family and parents with time on your hands.

You take this bumper,

This brush guard

Add a saws-all, a 4 inch angle grinder with grinding disc and cutting disc...

You end up with this.....

I know sorry about the crappy cell phone picture but it was the best I could do while getting gas on my way to pick up some Sam Adams to drink while watching Christmas Vacation. I have a little more work to do on the middle cross support to make some more room for the winch. Then mount up the off road lights.

Oh and I know I need to wash the 110...

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
rob37
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green

Looks good Bill. Glad you got the brush guard to fit. Looking forward to more pics.
Old November 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Thanks for reminding me I need to take some decent pics of it lol.

I was glad it came out looking good, I felt really guilty about chopping the mounts up on that mint simbars brush guard. I looked at my dad and told him I wish it was a bit beat up or rusty so I wouldn't feel like I was cutting up a brand new part.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

Is the 110 going to be a daily driver?
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:09 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Brett, sure is and has been so far. Had some trouble with it on the drive to the In-laws yesterday. Started miss firing and losing power. Changed out the fuel filter since I had ran it out of gas a couple days back. That helped but didn't solve it. Found a loose power lead to the coil and it seems normal again. I have discovered it needs an alignment badly though, I'm wearing out the inside tread on both front tires.

I texted PT Schram, to see if he would have time to earn some money tomorrow giving the engine the once over to make sure it's good to hook before the 6 hour drive home.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Congrats as well Bill.. looks like a pretty solid 110. How's it compare to your RRC so far? I haven't been in a defender for almost 6 years so am anxiously looking forward to the 110 and I'm sure there will be some adjustments, starting with the RHD. LOL

Definitely take lots of pics!

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:30 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Grins per mile it's no comparison to the RRC.

I love the simplicity. I love the utility and the cargo capacity. Packed for a 3 day weekend at the in-laws, 3 dogs luggage wife and kid. Dogs and luggage with the shelf in place were all in the tub instead of on the back seat and floor with my daughter. Fuel mileage is about the same.

Driving on the right side is no biggie just remember to pay attention to the mirrors so you stay in the lines while your getting used to it. Drive thru's are a pain in the butt.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Birdman
Chris Bird
1995 D90 ST #2046

Registry
Goose

I never met Gustavo in person but I did buy a beautiful 1995 beluga black D-90 from him a few years ago. It was quite an adventure dealing with Beevis & Butthead from the transport company (Maryland to Denver) & Gustavo was a trooper as they were about 8 hrs late and he still met them at 2:00 AM. I have made a few mods (305 BFG MT2's and 4.14 gears, F & R ARB lockers to name a few) and a few things I had to do like a new tranny, but he built this thing like I would have and I love it. It's even featured on the Lucky 8 website. I've had several people from D-90.com ask to be notified if I ever sell my 90 but my 7 yr old son says that will never happen.

I'm getting the 110 itch now, but if I ever get one I think it will be an addition vs a substitution.

Also, I get the guys that are into keeping it original but I say make it like YOU want it. If means painting it, then paint it what ever color you want it. That is, unless you bought it to flip it.
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I certainly didn't buy it to flip it. This is the keeper truck for me, as it will probably be the only time my wife let's me buy a 29 year old truck.

In the end I will do what I want to with it, but I do understand the appeal of keeping the classic looks. I think when I paint it I may keep it towards the original. Interior comfort and changes though will not follow that line lol.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Took a few better pics of the bumper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0541.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	61494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0542.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	61495  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0543.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	61496  

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Well over the last couple days she had developed a wicked miss under load. I replaced the fuel filter in a vain hope that it would be the cause. While the filter was completely filthy it was not the problem. Luckily though Napa had the filter in stock and on sale. Got two for 8 bucks.

Found a loose wire on the coil power feed and thought it was good to go then. I was of course wrong. We had loaded up to head home from the in-laws (6 hour drive) about 10 miles in she started missing and loosing power badly. So I called PT Schram and luck was with me he was home and I was already heading in that direction. So he kindly let me roll into his shop on a Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. We pulled in and a few minutes later he was outside under the hood checking spark etc. He quickly determined that the rotor was shot and was sloppy on the distributor allowing it to move around on its own, instead of with the shaft. A quick run into the shop produced a good used one he had laying around and in it went. The 110 was behaving much better but still was missing a bit. Out came the timing light and PT went to work cleaning up the timing marks on the crank. A few minutes later he determined the timing was way out of line. I knew it was but that is where it would start. Well PT's magic touch had the 110 timed properly and starting better than ever. While I was there he even took a minute to check his parts stock and he had a new clutch master cylinder in stock, mine is leaking. So not only did he fix my 110 he hooked me up with a good price on a new master cylinder for my next weekend project.

I want to give a big thank you to PT for taking time on his day off to fix my truck and get my family and I back on the road. Customer Service and dedication like that are hard to find these days. He showed his true Rover colors in spades today and I can't recommend him enough if your in the area and need some work done. It's service like that, that earns customers for life and reminds some of us why good Rover guru's are hard to find.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:42 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Well on PT's and Doug's advice I did some checks on the motor as the miss is back and getting worse. Now I would call it a major loss of power. The vacuum is bouncing indicating the cam is worn, and #6 cylinder is at 45psi and #2 is at 80psi. The rest are all between 105 and 120. So the the motor is pretty much done dealing.

So I need to decide what my course of action is.

1. is obvious rebuild the 3.5
2. swap in the 3.9 from my old RRC it ran good when the truck rusted away. 157k on it, figure gaskets cam, lifters and timing chain. If compression is solid on it.
3. Buy a known good, 3.9 or 4.2 (rather the 4.2) although the 4.2 seems to be getting a bit harder to find.
4. Would be a 4.6 but that is unrealistic due to costs.

Got to keep the replacement costs on a budget though as to not piss off Mrs. ArmyRover so far she is taking the fact that the motor is dead a lot better than I expected lol.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you can find a low mile 4.2 or 4.6 for a decent price, I would do that!

Old November 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I found a 4.2 a junk yard 100k 90 day warranty for $600. So far nearby searches haven't turned up much though on 4.6's

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I decided to go with option 2 and will be refreshing the 3.9 out of my parts RRC. Now I'm debating on doing the automatic/LT230/FI swap at the same time.

Taking a week of leave after the new year to go to my dad's strip some parts of an old MGB GT I picked up, then haul it to the scrap yard. Then bring the RRC back to my Dad's place to strip all the parts I'll need off of it and a few parts I can probably sell off, then send it to the scrap yard. Load everything into the Saab and head home. If I can get that all done in 3 days time then I will tow the 110 to Great Lakes Navy Car Craft Center and rent a overhaul bay to do the swap. Hopefully I can get that all done in 4 days and be driving it again on the following Monday.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

You're scrapping the Black RRC, right?
The White one seems too nice to scrap.
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:34 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Yes the Black one the Hunter is going to find a new home soon.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, defender, defender 110