I saw a guy fall to his death - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I saw a guy fall to his death

Actually this happened last December but I learned more about what happened last Saturday night. I don't know why I feel like posting this but I guess I feel like I may be the only person writing about what happened to this person and I feel somewhat compelled to share it. It happened in the old Globe theatre which is now called Club 740 off Broadway in downtown Los Angeles. I used to promote there periodically although I haven't been in for awhile til that night the incident happened. It was like any other busy Sat night there, it was packed, I was there checking out the chicks and then I was on my way to the vip bathrooms to pee after talking with a few friends. Just as I was passing a steel staircase to my left which was about 4-5 feet away from me, I heard a huge CRASH!! and accoustical ceiling debris falling all over. I will never forget the noise I heard when I realized it was a body that hit the staircase. Immediately I ran over and looked up to see where the hell that guy fell from. Apparently he fell from 55 feet up where the rafters are (its an old theatre) where he stepped onto an accoustical ceiling panel thinking it was actually a floor. As I rushed up to him, the first thing I noticed was his eyeballs were rolled up into his head. Some girl was complaining something hit her on the head behind me, I looked at her and she was fine. At this point about 10 bouncers ran over and begin to crowd over him trying to figure out what was going on. I explained to them what I just saw, then backed up and called 911 along with probably several other revellers. A minute later the owner comes over and I explain to him what happened as well. Then I see the bouncers pick him up (something to which I strongly would not have done) and lay him on the couch, I come over to take another look and at this point he's got blood comming out of his nose and ears. I'll never forget the look on his face. The paramedics came, the doors opened up and they secured him on a gurney and took him away. I didn't find out that he died until last Saturday when I returned, sobering news and I was hoping he would of made it through. He apparently was some kind of Japanese foreign student according to his passport, the only form of ID he had on himself. He was 23 years old. He was there was some friends all male and obviously americans. They were screaming and crying over each others shoulders and you could tell they were all faded, which is probably the same state the Japanese guy was to have stepped into that area. The owner told me that you cannot possibly go into that area without stepping around steel hand rails that clearly indicate the boundaries you should not cross. Guess it was Darwinism. Didn't get any numbers, lol jumped into my 110 and went home. Appreciate life everyone, I certainly do a lot more now.

PS I forgot this is the second time someone actually died around me, I was @ Barney Beanery in West Hollywood last year when someone got stabbed (I sorta knew the stabber) where the guy stumbled outside and died on the sidewalk. Don't know why I didn't react the same way. This is the 2nd time I saw someone fall during my promoting years (i always see fucked up shit), a really attractive gogo dancer fell off a 25 foot trapeze and right to my feet, I saw the blood pool around her head just like in a movie. She lived but I heard she would have lifetime health issues.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

That is messed up.

I used to do rescue diving and I've had to pull dead folks out of sunken cars, boats, etc.
All I can say is that I'm glad I don't do that anymore. I still remember every one and that was a long time ago.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Sorry you had to see that mess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I worked for a local goverment when I was a young lad and had to enter all county owned buildings including the morge.
The young people I saw laying on the table was very real & sobering at this young age...I have never forgot the folks I saw there,.. some were due to alcohol abuse & crime.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
It's unfortunate to see stuff like that. I'm sure seeing it 'up close' leaves a lasting impression on you.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I spent many a "tour" in Iraq and had the pleasure of seeing insurgents in bits and pieces, burned, battered, decomposed, and pink mist.

But nothing hits home more than when it's a fellow Marine you just talked to earlier in the day that just got burned to death in a HUMVEE or turned to pink mist in an IED attack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its odd how the sight of sudden or violent death affects you, and the feelings can be a bit delayed, yet still indistinct and "hollow." I think once you've seen the blood pool or smelled burning people you will be changed in some way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I was out doing a run a couple of years back with SWMBO and the dog.

There's an old derelict farmhouse in the middle of a field where the path goes past, we usually pop in for a scavvy around, see what's there etc.

There is a small lagoon, and both Sue & I are quite morbid... I said to her "imagine if you saw an arm float up there in that water"

"yeah yeah yeah" she says, i look up at a window in the farmhouse, and there's some bloke hanging from a piece of blue nylon rope! so I say "hey, there's a bloke hanging from a piece of blue rope up there...."

"yeah yeah yeah.... OH F**K!"

He'd been there about 24hrs, so well dead.

Funniest bit was (as it was November and very wet/muddy), we're wearing our muddy running kit, the police turn up in their nice clean trousers and shoes, ready to walk across 4 fields of mud... LOL!
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Its odd how the sight of sudden or violent death affects you, and the feelings can be a bit delayed, yet still indistinct and "hollow." I think once you've seen the blood pool or smelled burning people you will be changed in some way.
Interesting point. A good friend of mine said he turned vegetarian after a small stint working at a triage in some DC hospital when he was in his teens. He said he was hungry and asked someone to bring him back a bigmac and fries, 30 minutes later he smelled delicious mcdonalds burgers and went into the hallway, in there was a biker who had half his body burned, said the burger smell was actually him. He was like it wasn't like he sorta smelled like food, he said he smelled exactly like a big mac! I'm kinda fascinated by this and now I would be sorta tempted to whiff a burned guy just to see if he's telling the truth. I know this is jacked up. More importantly I realize you can never appreciate the fact that we wake up on the right side of the grass every morning and jump into our rovers. Now if only I could find mrs. right before I die....

neil

Robert Deniro
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think I saw a dead person being toted out of the woods once when I was mountain biking. Im not sure they were dead but everyone was really quiet somber and the body was covered up...
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

12 years in the EMS/hospital setting kind of numbs you.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I bet. I'm not sure I want to be that kind of numb. First responders seem to have as much PTSD as soldiers, if not more. Kudos to you for dealing with that every day.

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Now if only I could find mrs. right before I die....

neil
Hell, you're cetainly trying them all out in the meantime!
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
Hell, you're cetainly trying them all out in the meantime!
Eh I wish. Right now I'm working on 2 girls. One is this 6'2 blond from Orange County, crazy tall (deuce bigalow like tall) that makes me look like a ewok @ 6". Shes got a hot body n @ only 27 years old, loves to drink like a fish n party n works as n esthitician (not sure if i spelled it right). So far just 1 date with her last Sat and it went good for a first date, lots of laughs and touching but this one may take some time. Still working on her but this Saturday my dj friend Sharam from Deep Dish is spinning @ Avalon and she said shes down to drive over. Thats the only sucky part she lives far away. The other one is this cute curvy latina from Ventura County (I know wtf so far away but more importantly, no kids! haha) She like cares for her dad who has cancer n goes to school for her MBA, so she said. Met her at Villa Sorriso in old Town, she called me back after 2 weeks finally last night n we talked for 1hr 1/2! Made sure shes comming down this sat but therein lies the problem, I already told Jessica (hot tall blond) about Sat. Trying to see if I can blow Jessica off this Sat without her feeling neglected while I try to bang Diana this sat night haha. Wish me luck D90 board!

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I did child protection for a while and that can make you numb with a sick sense of humor. People can do some really jacked up things. Dealing with death and children is just something that shouldn't happen.
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Being a firefighter paramedic with the Los Angeles Fire Dept. for the last 20 years I have seen plenty of death and gore to last several lifetimes. I spent the first 10 years of my career in South Central and the second 10 in East LA. Needless to say I have seen my share of shootings and stabbings and other bizzar stuff. I was recently promoted to captain and am now out in a quiet neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, it's a nice change of pace.

I never really felt anything for the gang killings, probably because they brought it on themselves. The deaths that really had a lasting impact were and are the kids. 20 years of seeing it left me with post traumatic stress syndrome which was diagnosed last year. Thankfully I took the signs seriously and with my family's support and some good meds I am doing great. Having young kids myself I can say I dread these calls even more than before but have a way to cope with it now. To anyone who thinks they may be dealing with PTSS please dont ignore the signs, get help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat