I must have a 101FC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 11th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I must have a 101FC

I've been thinking about looking for a 101 to import for quite a while. This weekend while down in Corpus Christi I finally saw one for the first time. It was a 101FC Ambulance painted bright yellow. I got to talk with the owner for a bit about it(I forgot his name in my excitment to see a 101). He said he brought it down through Canada. I fell in love and now must have one.

He mentioned it's easier bringing them in through Canada but as they're all over that magic 25 year line I thought it was a simple process. Do I need to bother with an importer or can I do it myself? Does anyone know where to find official importation info online? I can find all kinds of info and rules for cars less than 25 years old but nothing about older vehicles.
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 05:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You should not have to go through an importer, but a customs broker may make you life easier. At the very least you should speak with the customs people at the port of entry where you intend to bring the truck in through.

I can tell you you will at least need EPA form 3520-1 and NHTSA form HS-7. I've attached them for your reference. They are pretty self-explanatory and you'll see where the 101 falls into the declaration categories that exempt it because of age.

You will probably have to fill out some other stuff, but I cant remember what.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPA Form 3520-1.pdf (71.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf form_hs7.pdf (21.6 KB, 68 views)
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Forward Control 101s are very cool! And if you are moving to NH and buying one you may have found a new best friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
You should not have to go through an importer, but a customs broker may make you life easier. At the very least you should speak with the customs people at the port of entry where you intend to bring the truck in through.

I can tell you you will at least need EPA form 3520-1 and NHTSA form HS-7. I've attached them for your reference. They are pretty self-explanatory and you'll see where the 101 falls into the declaration categories that exempt it because of age.

You will probably have to fill out some other stuff, but I cant remember what.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. It looks to be pretty straight forward. Houston is only 3 hours from here so I'll bring it through there and drive it home. Looking at the Customs Dept's website it looks like I'll need a customs broker since the value is over $2,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Forward Control 101s are very cool! And if you are moving to NH and buying one you may have found a new best friend!
Once I find a job, I'm there. 101s need a bit of care and I'll need wrenching buddies.

I'm looking for an ambulance to turn into a camper right now. The extra room they provide over a radio model is much more useful. I'd also use it as a tow/support truck for the D-90 though I believe the 3.5 in those is a bit underpowered for towing. The guy's was very visible in yellow but I'd like to keep mine in MoD woodland camo with the big red cross on the side.

Now to convince the wife that food for the next year is totally unnecessary.
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Coolness! I have never worked on or even been in a 101, but how hard can it be, it's only a rover. Don't skip on food, just convince her that she needs to drive the 90, and you will drive the 101. I have seen a few and I do have to say they have a little more space inside then a 90.

This wouldn't be the 101 would it?

http://www.roverworx.com/whatisit.htm
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Figured I'd add a pic my wife took of me talking to the guy in the 101. I wish I could remember his name as he was kind enough to stop and talk to me. I do remember him saying he was from San Antonio.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Coolness! I have never worked on or even been in a 101, but how hard can it be, it's only a rover. Don't skip on food, just convince her that she needs to drive the 90, and you will drive the 101. I have seen a few and I do have to say they have a little more space inside then a 90.
I'll try but she's in love with her 'Stang.

Quote:
This wouldn't be the 101 would it?

http://www.roverworx.com/whatisit.htm
Nope. That's a radio van. This was an ambulance. Notice the overhangs in the pic I've attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2975  
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK I have to agree, I don't like the yellow on a FC at all. But I like the ST 101s better, they look like they would do better off road, I also like the Sals axles, the gearng is a bit low, but they are real tuff.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Burns
Trey & Mel Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Figured I'd add a pic my wife took of me talking to the guy in the 101. I wish I could remember his name as he was kind enough to stop and talk to me. I do remember him saying he was from San Antonio.
His name would be Gary.
He does live in S.A. and is part of TexasRovers S.A. chapter.
His beast is very cool looking.

Melissa B.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

101's are so cool. I was up at GBR the other day and I missed the entrance to the building because I was staring at Bill's 101 ST that he's got there. It's pretty cool. Make sure you check the swivel balls on the 101 that you buy, cause IIRC, the 101's have solid axle housings that are all one piece with the swivels. So if the swivels are bad, the whole axle housing is near useless. They're not like the 90's where the swivel can be unbolted and replaced separately.
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I dig what they did with this beast.
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dam, thats like ECR pimp my ride!
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Dillo that thing looks like a lunch box on wheels. Where do the little people go?
Go with the ST I have been wheeling in them before, and they are sweet trucks, but they are uncomfortable.
Old April 13th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
Dillo that thing looks like a lunch box on wheels. Where do the little people go?
Go with the ST I have been wheeling in them before, and they are sweet trucks, but they are uncomfortable.
But this will be in addition to the 90 which will be for wheeling. The 101 will be used as a camper for things like going down to Padre Island for a week. Trying to talk the wife into one means I have to show it has other uses. The STs are decent but not as useful for my purposes.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns
His name would be Gary.
He does live in S.A. and is part of TexasRovers S.A. chapter.
Yep, that's him. Thanks. He was very nice letting me go all 'fan boy' on his truck.
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:15 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
101's are very cool but thirsty. 10 - 15 m.p.g. (imperial)
You can change the transfer ratios to improve the cruising speed.
The gearbox is the same as an early Range Rover - the LT95 4 speed with integral transfer box.
Also check the steering box cause it's like nothing else ever fitted to a Land Rover.
They're very interesting off road with a tendancy (in the soft top) to stand on their nose on steep descents, causing a degree of distress to the occupants when this happens.
They give a whole new perspective to off roading with a lot of earth or sky views when descending/ascending steep hills. I've always wanted one but could never justify it.
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
101's are very cool but thirsty. 10 - 15 m.p.g. (imperial)
You can change the transfer ratios to improve the cruising speed.

I've always wanted one but could never justify it.
It wouldn't be a daily driver or anything so milage isn't a big worry. That's about what any RV gets anyways.

Also, if we have to start justifying our Land Rovers I'm in big trouble.
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Looked real hard at these (before I bought the D90) as a PU. Read something somewhere that they dont fit tall people too well (I'm 6') as the cab is kinda small. Whoever it was banged their arms alot. Just something else to think about.
I'd really like to see one and sit in the drivers seat to see how tight it would really be though.
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Also, if we have to start justifying our Land Rovers I'm in big trouble.
Oh I can usually think of a half plausable reason

A 101 - I couldn't justify to myself that's why I never owned one.
Driven one though, they're a scream
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Nigel
Ted Constantine

Justification is a concept I avoid like the plague! I have 2 101s both GS soft tops. they are a lot of fun. I also hope neither of mine every get as pretty as the ECR version. 101s look best in mat finishes with a little mud on top the negative to 101s is parts unless you are up for fabing them yourself it is interesting finding a lot of the parts you need.
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I've been trying to figure out where to get the cash to get myself a 101 and just this past weekend while driving with my father to the stock car races he said he wanted to get one. He's been looking for a RV/camper for a while and decided that that was the perfect thing. He was with me when we saw the 101 a few weeks ago and fell in love too. He wants me to find one, import it if needed, and then do a camper conversion for him. So maybe by the National Rally next year I'll have it done and will use it to tow the D-90 to Moab/CO/wherever the rally is.

I am now very actively looking for a 101 Ambi for him/me. If only I could get any of those damn Brits to return emails.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:10 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Which companies are you trying?
You're definately looking for an ambulance right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat