I must have a 101FC - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 29th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Nigel
Ted Constantine

check out the used rovers section on the DAP web site. There is an ambi for sale in there that looks in good shape and is already in this country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Which companies are you trying?
You're definately looking for an ambulance right?
Which aren't I? MoD has released them all so the suppliers don't have as many as they had just a year or two ago but they're out there. We definitely want an Ambi, mostly for the space. This'll be a camper/support/tow vehicle for the D-90 eventually. Probably do an engine swap in the next couple years before starting tow duties though. I know they were made to tow 105MM arty but a 3.5V8 still sounds awful small for that task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel
check out the used rovers section on the DAP web site. There is an ambi for sail in there that looks in good shape and is already in this country.
Saw it. I've got a line on one now in the UK. They normally sell for around 3000-4000. LHDs are less desirable over there so are cheaper. Even with the shitty dollar and import fees it's still cheap enough to go that route than pay a premium on one that's already here. You're talking $3-5K less than that guy's asking price. The one I'm looking at looks very straight and has a current/recent MOT in the UK which means it's in at least decent shape. I'm now trying to get someone in the 101 group to go take a peek at it for me. Maybe by the end of summer I'll have a new toy to play with, and by next year you won't be able to keep me away from every rally in the US so I can show it off.

Pic of possible purchase included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ambulance lhd.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	3074  
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Best of luck
They're pretty low geared so the 3.5 can pull the 105 mm gun cross country

M.O.T. basicly means that it was alright on the day it was tested and shouldn't be regarded as absolute proof that it's in sound condition. In the past I've bought some very dodgy motors with an MOT certificate

You can also get 'bent' MOT's too

Not to put a damper on things, 101's are very cool, go for it. Just make sure the chrome balls are in good nick cause they are a permanent part of the whole axle case. Everything else is flat alli or steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Best of luck
They're pretty low geared so the 3.5 can pull the 105 mm gun cross country
Yeah, I may need to look into an O.D. eventually.

Quote:

M.O.T. basicly means that it was alright on the day it was tested and shouldn't be regarded as absolute proof that it's in sound condition. In the past I've bought some very dodgy motors with an MOT certificate

You can also get 'bent' MOT's too
That's why I hope to find someone near him to give it a quick once-over for me. Buying a vehicle sight unseen from 6,000 miles away makes one a bit cautious.
Your M.O.T.s are so much more thorough than here though. In Texas it's bascially, headlights work? Blinkers? Horn? Tires not totally bald? Pass.

That's why I hope to find someone near him to give it a quick once-over for me. Buying a vehicle sight unseen from 6,000 miles away makes one a bit cautious.

Anyone need anything brought over from the UK? I'm thinking of getting a 40ft container and will have lots of room in it to ship stuff over. Even a whole other vehicle if you need one shipped. I might stuff some bits for the 90 in there while I'm at it. It'd probably be here sometime in mid-late summer. Looking to bring it in to Houston.

edit: link to more pics for those that care: http://www.nnin.net/gallery/101

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Just make sure the chrome balls are in good nick cause they are a permanent part of the whole axle case. Everything else is flat alli or steel.
Balls look good. Seals look a bit leaky but I guess those can be replaced. I've never done that so it should be an adventure. Bit of surface rust all over but nothing cancerous it appears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01377.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	3076   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01378.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	3077  

Old April 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
fpkelly
Forrest Kelly
Roverless

Theres a 101 sitting at the Harrisburg VA Rover dealership, stopped by on the way home from Rausch to look at it, pretty cool truck.
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:49 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Photos look good.
One advantage with an ambulance is that it won't have been thrown out of the back of a hercules and the Parachute Regiment won't have abused it as they might have done if it were a soft top.
Why not get in touch with the 101 Foward Control Club and Register

fp.fccr101.f9.co.uk/

they're sure to know exactly what to check before parting with cash. They've also had some unavailable parts remanufactured
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Photos look good.
One advantage with an ambulance is that it won't have been thrown out of the back of a hercules and the Parachute Regiment won't have abused it as they might have done if it were a soft top.
Why not get in touch with the 101 Foward Control Club and Register

fp.fccr101.f9.co.uk/

they're sure to know exactly what to check before parting with cash. They've also had some unavailable parts remanufactured
I joined the mailing list a few weeks ago and have been lurking. I haven't joined the 101 Club yet, but plan on it.

It has 42,000K on the odometer which isn't too bad at all.

We are close to making an offer on it pending an inspection of some sort. So maybe in the next week or so we'll be the proud owners of a 101 Ambi.
Old April 30th, 2005, 04:42 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Way to go
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:16 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Yeah, I may need to look into an O.D. eventually.
You can also fit higher ratio transfer gears from a later 4 speed manual Range Rover.
The overdrive can introduce a lot of back lash into an already loose drive train.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Tony, I know you've got your eyes set on that ambulance from across the pond, but I just happen to stumble on this one today and thought I'd point it out to you. It's in Boston already...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...547788845&rd=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
Tony, I know you've got your eyes set on that ambulance from across the pond, but I just happen to stumble on this one today and thought I'd point it out to you. It's in Boston already...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...547788845&rd=1
It's a RHD GS. Not quite what we want and importing is cheaper. Thanks for the pointer though. Thanks.

Still working on the deal on the Ambi. Hope to know by Friday.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
Looked real hard at these (before I bought the D90) as a PU. Read something somewhere that they dont fit tall people too well (I'm 6') as the cab is kinda small. Whoever it was banged their arms alot. Just something else to think about.
I'd really like to see one and sit in the drivers seat to see how tight it would really be though.
Best to try one for size before you buy. One club member 6' 7" couldn't actually shut the door of my mates 101 when in the driving seat, his knees wouldn't fit under the steering wheel. Kind of ruled out his getting one.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Best to try one for size before you buy. One club member 6' 7" couldn't actually shut the door of my mates 101 when in the driving seat, his knees wouldn't fit under the steering wheel. Kind of ruled out his getting one.
There are some advantages to being average height. My 5'10" frame should have no problems.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Chris V

There are a few set backs to the Ambi 101 FC . 1st is there is no access from the front (drivers and passenger ) to the rear (cargo or passengers). The Radio body 101 has a clear wide open pass through front to back just like the GS (General Service ) rigs. Also the Ambi is very top heavy unlike the GS and the Radio body. I use my Radio body as a camper/ off road rig and now with front disk brakes and a 4.6 in it, it makes a great tow rig also (I fitted the RR gears into the transmission so the low gears stay the same crazy crawl speeds but the high gears are much better for highway use. (The Detroit in the rear helps it out a lot too)
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:36 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Went to Old Sodbury Sortout last Saturday, more 101's than you could shake a stick at. Sorry no photos

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat