Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I might have a Rover addiction

So it's been almost a year since I bought my 110 and I have really enjoyed it. I am already considering the shift to an all Rover fleet.

Yesterday I stopped to look at an early 90 but was totally distracted by this Disco. Today I stopped to look at it again! It is all kitted out with sliders, winch, roof rack, leather, lights etc. As I was driving away from it I was contemplating selling my Titan and replacing it with the Disco. I could convert my 110 into a pickup so I can move firewood and whatever other junk a pickup is useful for. Am I crazy to replace my trusty Titan with a Disco for 100% reliable transportation? I don't know anything about these vehicles except that many people have opinions about good and bad years etc so I am open to advice on reliability, value, practicality and whatever else.

I will get more info on the vehicle in question like asking price and year and history soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3860935437.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	31351   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1006420182.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	31352  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

It's a 99-02 ... the biggest problems with D2s are A) head gaskets needing to be replaced and B) front driveshaft needs to be rebuilt w/ greaseable ujoints and maintained... the stock ones are 'sealed for life' and eventually dry out and can break apart, causing more damage... so check those. C) Three Amigos... ABS/TC/HDC lights come on whenever there is a problem with the ABS... search around for more info on fixing them and what not..

Other than that, you will want to make sure that you have CDL in there.. the D2s did not come with CDL, but 99-00 and some 01's had a lockable transfer case, so you could just add the lever from a D1 to fix it.. '04 D2 had CDL factory.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
It's a 2001 that has just been fitted with a new engine that has 24,000 miles on it and three year warranty. Forgot to ask how many miles on drivetrain, chassis etc. He's not sure of three amigos issues as he is helping someone else sell it.
Asking $12,500. Seems high to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Way too high $$ Half of that would be still a bit high...
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

If you want a built D2 that is super clean, I'll sell you mine for 5K. Winch, detroit in the rear, CDL ,34" swampers, 4.43 gears...

However, I do not have any off that "bolt on" garbage that seems to be the rage. I don't have 25 Hella lights, or "level o gauge " stuff. But it works very well off road. It does have custom doors, one off fenders, and a properly built bumper that actually can hit trees with and it doesn't move, etc...

And yes, you're crazy for getting rid of a reliable truck for a Land Rover.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
So it's been almost a year since I bought my 110 and I have really enjoyed it. I am already considering the shift to an all Rover fleet.

Yesterday I stopped to look at an early 90 but was totally distracted by this Disco. Today I stopped to look at it again! It is all kitted out with sliders, winch, roof rack, leather, lights etc. As I was driving away from it I was contemplating selling my Titan and replacing it with the Disco. I could convert my 110 into a pickup so I can move firewood and whatever other junk a pickup is useful for. Am I crazy to replace my trusty Titan with a Disco for 100% reliable transportation? I don't know anything about these vehicles except that many people have opinions about good and bad years etc so I am open to advice on reliability, value, practicality and whatever else.

I will get more info on the vehicle in question like asking price and year and history soon.

There are lotso folks who can sympathize with your 'addiction'!

Don
Current Stable:
1959 Series 2 LWB Station Wagon with Safari roof
1968 Series 2A Dormobile (Original Martin Walter)
1983 Series 3 LWB softtop X-MOD pickup truck.
1994 NAS Defender 90 ST (CDN-80)
1994 Range Rover Classic
2006 LR3 HSE
2011 LR4 Prem Lux.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ha! It actually does have a level o gauge.

I think I just needed one person to say I was crazy and that will settle it. I can drive by it and look.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Quote:
Ha! It actually does have a level o gauge.

I think I just needed one person to say I was crazy and that will settle it. I can drive by it and look.

I don't think you're crazy.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
We hava an all Rover fleet. And looking for a good disco in a few years to set-up for my daughter.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
It's a 2001 that has just been fitted with a new engine that has 24,000 miles on it and three year warranty. Forgot to ask how many miles on drivetrain, chassis etc. He's not sure of three amigos issues as he is helping someone else sell it.
Asking $12,500. Seems high to me
For that kinda money buy an '04. Looks like it has a RoverRack and not a true SD rack, if that matters to you.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I think you're crazy...but then aren't most of us here?

I just recently replaced my Mini Cooper with a D90 :-)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

looking for sanity or common sense/practical advise here has self fullfilling results- to say unbiased is an untruth. As many Rovers as come and go here, there is always one Ford to jump, push, tow, etc the Rovers... but the ratio is ahh, biased

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
looking for sanity or common sense/practical advise here has self fullfilling results- to say unbiased is an untruth. As many Rovers as come and go here, there is always one Ford to jump, push, tow, etc the Rovers... but the ratio is ahh, biased

I just use one Rover to jump, tow, push or pull the not-working one... Out of the bunch, there's usually at least two working at any given time!

For reference, the most reliable has been the LR3 and the Defender 90... The older series trucks can get into some issues every once in a while... The LR3 is a tank, and the D90 keeps pluggin away and costing me money every time something breaks... The last break was the U-Joints going after pulling on the e-brake too hard to decelerate... sheared a pin on one of the ujoints! Nobody told me you were only supposed to use it to park! LOL

UJoints are normally easy to replace, but every bolt had rusted solid and had to be burned/cut off of 4 ujoints... HUGE job. Eventually, every little piece on the D90 will be gradually replaced and then I start all over again with the first things I fixed...

So for now, an all-Rover stable.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
LOL, reading between the lines, what he is saying is the doors have been customised by hitting trees and rocks, and one of the fenders is off. Oh and it doesn't move.

Carey you should work in sales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
It does have custom doors, one off fenders, and a properly built bumper that actually can hit trees with and it doesn't move, etc...
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
LOL, reading between the lines, what he is saying is the doors have been customised by hitting trees and rocks, and one of the fenders is off. Oh and it doesn't move.

Carey you should work in sales...

Dave, let me set you straight. BOTH fenders are off, and it does run just fine. I took Jeff Aronson wheeling today....
For reference to the doors, my D2 is actually 7 inches narrower than a standard D2, so yes, it's custom.

Funny, you're not the first person to tell me I should be in sales.... see you at the Romp!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

I keep 2 Rovers at all times so I can still drive one while the other is in the shop.
$12k is laughable for 2001 Disco - try $4k. Max.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

To be fair, I have some non-rovers, but the only one I drive is the lotus. See below.

Ron
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Years ago I bought a '96 Disco to put in the garage next to the 90. I had quite the love hate relationship with that SOB. Alot like the new dog we recently got Like others have said, it will NOT be your Titan. But then again, it WILL not be your Titan.....
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRRC View Post
I keep 2 Rovers at all times so I can still drive one while the other is in the shop.
$12k is laughable for 2001 Disco - try $4k. Max.
Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but just picked up a 2003 Disco for 4100$ with 120k miles. Probably needs a new timing cover and chain/belt.. otherwise, seems okay.

I've never had a Disco before - are they chains or belts? I guess I'll find out over the next few weeks.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Well I guess I'm kinda over this disco. I can't justify swapping my truck for this and I don't exactly have clearance to bring another vehicle home. If i could get it for $4100 I might push the issue a bit.

Ultimately I do like all the bolt on crap and would like that stuff on my 110, plus the Upgraded suspension, AC, sunroof...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht