I love my wife - selling the D90, but help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I love my wife - selling the D90, but help!

-Well, the MRS. got fed up with me and even though the D90 has been in the shop only twice in 5 years when it does go in its a bit of a problem. Last time was 8 days for the water pump and spedo cable (yesyesyes I know and was chastised in a seperate thread but work/life, um no that should be work/ Rover time is totally out of balance these days). So no car for a week and it was a real problem.

Now my wife was rightly pissed at this and her solution was not to sell the D-90 but to get a 3rd car. Did I say I love my wife? That lets me play doctor on the 90 and not have to worry about it getting it running for Monday morning.

So my question is - Anyone with insight on little cars? I am looking for a new, inexpensive runabout that will take me to the office and back - 15 miles a day max (SoCa living and a 15 minute commute to the office -sweet!). In the paper I have seen the Yaris, Scion xA, Fit, Versa which all fall into the $11-14k MSRP range. My target is out the door all included for $13k.

Experiences, recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
What about a used mini?
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Hyundai, 100k warrantee and if you compare one to a toyota or honda you will be surprised.
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
If you had another $1k to spend, I'd say go with a Toyota Corolla. I've never heard a bad thing about them, and there is a reason why Toyota is the top car manufacture.

Heck, if you are going to be doing less than 6K miles per year, why not lease???

Btw, go out and buy your wife a nice piece of jewelry, she really does rock!
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

How about another D90? Might break the budget but will win you cool points as your truck changes color constantly.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Or a new VW Rabbit...a little over budget, but not by much.
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Dude, Southern California? Buy an nice roadbike and put the other 10k in mods on your D90.
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
What about a used mini?
What are you trying to do -- get him a divorce? I thought Rovers were unreliable until we got ours ('06 S hardtop). Biggest piece of crap I've driven and I'm on about my 10th british car. We picked up an A3 and it's been fantastic. Perhaps a used A4 or, at least locally, you can lease a jetta for $199/month.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

A great opportunity for a shameless plug. Buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

I am selling it right now. Reserve is almost 3k below blue book. I know you wanted new, but we have taken great care of this. It's a good car, for a Volkswagen

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'd have to say Hyundai as well, and I had a Jetta for a commuter. VWs rock, but they're really great because of the comfort on a drive for over 45 minutes. It just isn't worth the money compared to a new Hyundai for the 15minutes. You won't mind if it gets dinged, the warranty is better than a rabbit, and gas mileage is kinda out the window (even though it competes). It'll run you for 10 good years and by then you'll have a tdi in your Defender and will drive it all the time.
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I own a MINI Cooper S as my daily driver. Fantastic Car. My sister has a standard MINI which she loves as well.

I am sure you could get a nice, well maintained one, for your 13k. Especially a standard MINI..........This would fit nicely in the driveway.

Plus - you would not have to learn how to park it. There are not many cars out there that are shorter then the D90.........but the MINI is only 11'-9".

Flagg
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:15 AM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

You live in T.O., so you might need something with a little more style than the cars suggested so far. True, the Mini is nice, but you can't get a new one in that price range.The new 2007 Nissan Sentra is about the best looking entry level compact I've ever seen, and I'm sure you could get a stripped one for around $13K. Check the Sentra out.
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I love the LA in-sight, Jordan. Look is important, and I keep having to stop myself when I see other cars and all the add on. Must be strong and remind myself - all monies are for the d90, then children, then wife, then house, then family, then world, then me.

With the cars, the bug-eyed look of the Yaris + price is what drew attention. As to a Mini, I love them, in fact I grew up in a 1972 midnight blue Austin Mini Cooper 1250cc (I think). Tight little thing! But here in LA, the used Mini market is higher priced and when looking at used cars I want the warrenty in place. I think I will look at the lease idea thought.

Weird thing, I just received a Bentley flier in the mail. For $6000 a month, plus something like $35,000 down I can get one of those for 39months.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Paul you must make a lot to be on that mailing list. phd? If you want to keep that rover style, get a Freelander, I'm sure it'll be more reliable and it's snobby enough to fit in with the TO elite. I heard its got a honda tranny. (not sure but I think so)

Neil
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Actually, other than the Defender I would not buy a Rover. I think Ford has a pretty smart strategic marketing plan for its "premium" brand units - Range Rover, Jag. ect.. My concern is reliability which is the problem Ford has... period. Opening a can of worms on this site by saying this but EVERYONE I know with a RR or LR have problems. My 3rd car formost must be reliable. That is why the Ford Focus did not make the short list of budget minis.

Oh, and a buddy was up in Sequoia Valley a few months back and LR was there for a month doing promo for the L2 - that set of wheels is out of my price range and I have no faith in the local LR dealership after their last fiasco to lease one.

Finally - the mailing list. It is really funny, just got the new Jag offer and a Masarati. They really have me confused with someone with $$$$
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Hmm.. My family has had nothing but Fords,Lincolns,mercury's. Have never had a problem with them.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

In all honesty I don't think that the new Rovers are particularly problematic. You have to consider that a D90 is reliable b/c there is nothing to go wrong! The new LR3's and RRs have something like 27 different computers alone that have to communicate with each other, the ancilliarys they control and the switches that control them! Also, you have to take 2 things into acct. with the JD Powers survey.

1. It is based on problems per 100 vehicles and there is only about 20-25 problems/100 vehicles seperating the best from the worst!

2. In LR's own search into this they have determined that a good amt. of problems reported are not even problems, just customers who don't know how to operate something. (for god's sake, the rear wiper on a RR can be turned on and off to be sure, but to set the delay you have to turn it on, then off right away, then wait the desired amt. of time, then turn it back on!)

Just my biased opinion (I sell them) haha
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
I was in a similar situation as you are in. I've been daily driving my d90 and wanted to reduce the miles being put on and gain the ability to work on it and not worry about getting it back together in time to go to work. My solution: Series III. Yep, eight years ago when I bought my d90 my wife said I could not have bought anything less practical. Well, I proved her wrong, I bought a series. Now, between the two, one is running. Funny thing is, my wife likes the series so much, I bet she will end up driving it too. For 13k you could get one nice series, and just think, 5 years from now it will be worth close to what you bought it for. Can't say that about a corolla. And you get to still drive a rover.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
parantaeyagn
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Hmm.. My family has had nothing but Fords,Lincolns,mercury's. Have never had a problem with them.
Then, how would you know if you have/had a problem? They are all same. Maybe be you don't know any "BETTER"? :D
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
In all honesty I don't think that the new Rovers are particularly problematic. You have to consider that a D90 is reliable b/c there is nothing to go wrong! The new LR3's and RRs have something like 27 different computers alone that have to communicate with each other, the ancilliarys they control and the switches that control them! Also, you have to take 2 things into acct. with the JD Powers survey.

1. It is based on problems per 100 vehicles and there is only about 20-25 problems/100 vehicles seperating the best from the worst!

2. In LR's own search into this they have determined that a good amt. of problems reported are not even problems, just customers who don't know how to operate something. (for god's sake, the rear wiper on a RR can be turned on and off to be sure, but to set the delay you have to turn it on, then off right away, then wait the desired amt. of time, then turn it back on!)

Just my biased opinion (I sell them) haha
Dude,

Thats some serious spinning your doing there!

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2006082.pdf check out page 4. LR is in solid last place!

20-25 problems per 100 is a lot! But, no good sales person would not give it a shot, so, Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90