I love my wife - selling the D90, but help! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, VW and even MINI aren't doing a lot better! The other thing is...just about everything seems to have a lot of problems. When you talk to rover techs they'll tell you LR's are junk and full of problems, but when I talk to Jeep techs they say the same thing about Jeeps and I really haven't had many problems with my Jeep at all! Just a couple small things here and there over the course of about 45k miles. BMW techs complain that they are all problematic, and MB techs tell me they are worse than BMW! It all depends who you talk to. I had a RRS for a while and had no problems at all, at the same time I've got an '05 BMW 545i that seems to be nothing but problems!

I gave up trying to determine whats more/less problematic and decided just to drive what I want! If there is a problem, take it to the dealer, pick up a loaner and let warranty take care of it. (Unless its my Defender of course!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2007, 09:48 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by parantaeyagn
Then, how would you know if you have/had a problem? They are all same. Maybe be you don't know any "BETTER"? :D
Huh?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Guys, go to LATIMES.com for Wed. March 7th 2007 and the auto section. Dan Neil - my favorite sarcastic but very good auto journalist has just reviewed the LR2. In it:
2006 JD Powers Initial Quality Study: Where is Land Rover?
problems in 1st 90 days: LR at the bottom with 204, industry average 124
Vehicle Dependability Study
a 3 year study: LR at the bottom with 438, industry average 227

So if you want to play a stats game, LR is almost 100% worst that average, and vs market leader for the 3 yr study (see the article) LR is 400% worse. BUT... brand retention with RR / LR is increadible high. I can say that if I had the money - just received another flier for a Masarati test drive so someone thinks I have $$$ - I would buy a RR. The local dealership I am not impressed with but they do put you in a loaner car ASAP and now I know why, they have lots of practice.

Oh, and the FORD bit. I have had several and marginal issue but recent reliability and resale value all the "experts" view FORD as a lost case. Seems just like Chrysler as Chairman Lee drove them into the ground by cutting corners. Strange. Rover, Volvo and Jag are asll looking better just not being built better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a 94 discovery for $1000-1500 and use it to swap parts back and forth with the D90. Always good to have a spare rover.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I think the new VW TDI's are compliant w/ all 50 states' emissions. Plus, its a new version of the tdi for '08, after not being sold here in '07 at all.

They might offer the tdi in a rabbit too as someone earlier suggested.

If I had a commute, which I dont :-), I would definitely test drive a VW tdi when they come out this summer.
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So Ron, I took a look at discos in the area then I took a look at used rangies.
Rangies were cheaper (???). Any advice on those as to year/spec.s that are most likely NOT to break down. (oh, and if I cannabilize a 94 disco for my 94 D90 my wife will neuter me! If you've seen the TV show, Rules of engagement you know what i am talking about. )
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

How about a motorcycle? Better mileage. The BMW boxers run forever, or the Ducatis will keep you enthusiastic, or the Hardleys will remind you of your D90...

A good near-new used BMW or Duc will be far less than your $13k, and leave you money for extra kit.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Now that I like - but, another requirment is seating. In a pickle, can seat 3, maybe 4 (2adult 2 kids).
So whats going on? Toyoda Yaris off the list - to little for the $ (even such a low price); Honda Fit top of the list but my $11k has moved to $15k; Scion Xa in there but 2006 models are being sold as 2007s with no price difference (even new, a 2006 looses financial value in 2007. I'm not after 40% but 20% drop is not out of the question); Mini Cooper - 2007 base model is listed cheaper than any of the used models in CA - weird - but still in the $14-18 bracket;

My idea was a cheaper set of wheels, small run around that had a high degree of reliability. I now find myself looking at used cars/trucks in the $3-12k range and using the saved $ to off-set fuel costs. A some one who used to live in Europe, I long for the "city cars" of Fiat, Opel, Alpha Romeo...
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM
evilfij
evilfij

The 94/95 discovery or any rrc.

I would buy the 94/95 disco.

Ignition will all be the same, but the ancilaries are all serp on the disco. RRCs up to and including 94 are V belt but they are not exactly the same as the D90 ones.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
199x ALFA Romeo 164.

Maybe not Honda-reliable, but sexy. Will also be pretty cheap (no more than 7.5k) so you use the extra for maintenance.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Yes but the 164s are often autos and all front wheel drive. I drove one and was not a fan. If you want one call me as there are like 1000 of them around here (I am two miles from the ferrari and former alfa dealer).
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I'd buy this Alfa first.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

A 164 - used to have one - stolen in the first year. Have also owned a 33, 75, from A/R.
Fiat, the Tipo and a soft top Punto. Bring the Punto to the US!
My favorite was a company car, an Opal SR5, I think it was. I was a sales rep in the UK . I also had a Sierra Cosworth for a short time - bloody fast!

I just got a link in the office for VW site. An OK 66-72 VW classic touring van is ~$8,000.
At least the looking is fun right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90