I just stumbled upon this (LR Girls on Pinterest) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Copyright violations would include use of photos in mag publications, or commercial use / co. promo on the internet or otherwise. Posting pics on private Facebook or pinterest is news worthy and free promo (otherwise known as free exposure). It would however be courteous to mention the photographer's name or copyright holder.

Full blown commercials are seen in youtube for as a matter of interest. I don't think the ad agencies mind the extra exposure, nor do the clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
you don't need a release, every time you take a photo you own the copyright to it, you do not need to file anything.

I am also not saying I would, or that people should go after images on those sites, but it's illegal to share them if they're not your original content.

pretty well explained article if you want to learn more - http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/c...online-images/

anyways, end rant. I enjoyed the photos.
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
your truck yes, your house yes, your kids no. I own the photo but cannot use it to promote anything without a release signed by the kid, or more likely you as the legal guardian.

"stealing" is a harsh word but that's essentially what is happening. I'd describe it more like ignorance because most people do not understand that what they are doing is illegal(even though ignorance is not actually a legal defense).

Again most 99.9% of people would not go after people on pinterest or blogs. However, when sites like buzzfeed use an image they don't own the rights to or didn't get permission, they can get sued because they are using the image to generate revenue via ads on their site.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-soccer-photo/
http://petapixel.com/2012/10/17/buzz...ut-permission/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I always think it's funny when people blur their license plate. I mean you drive all over and park all over with it in plain sight of anyone and everyone, but lets make sure we hide it before posting a pic online...I don't get it. haha
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:59 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
I always think it's funny when people blur their license plate. I mean you drive all over and park all over with it in plain sight of anyone and everyone, but lets make sure we hide it before posting a pic online...I don't get it. haha
Ask ArmyRover about the "license plate/hot blonde" incident. Haha!!
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post

I think the rules clearly state you can't post something like this with out a detailed explanation... :-)

Old December 30th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post

Sounds like the beginnings of a Neil type thread!
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:59 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I used the word attractive I believe, since I assumed it was a club members S.O. and knew they were sensitive.

I spotted a g4 disco and posted a pic with the vanity plate on our local club forum. People got their panties in a twist blew it all out of proportion and bitched about it. Posts were edited changing their content by the admin/mod, it all went down hill from there.

You probably still can't post a vin number on there for privacy issues that the mods claim are violated by doing so

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

They were only of the back of the G4 sorry

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat