I feel bad for this D90... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:51 AM
It's always a hit or miss when approaching someone about buying their vehicle. I've been able to buy a few and have been turned down. It's all about where the owner is in their head and heart about selling. You know how that is. Those of us who try and 'rescue' these cars get sick watching them waste away and know as the years pass the damage compounds. It's almost like seeing a malnourished horse...it's hard to see. A friend of mine restores/builds custom and classic cars as a business and a hobby, he and I have talked (commiserated) for hours about stuff like this. I actually introduced him to LRs and am pretty happy about how much he's digging them. He's got my tub and body panels right now...excited!!

Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
Paul Dandini
None :-(
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Out of curiosity, is the problem that the owners won't sell, or won't sell at the prices being offered?

Big difference.
We never discussed monies.
I first meet the parents of the son who owns the D90. They wanted if out of their driveway.
I later spoke with the son on a couple occasions and he said he had no interest in selling.

97 NAS sold
EX-MOD sold
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Jackie Treehorn
1985 (legitimately)
Classic hoarder. Either that or he sees the appreciation curve we've all seen over the past 10 years as evidence that that same double digit gain will continue forever.
Maybe he lost the title and there's an ownership issue (his late relatives truck and can't square away ownership) could be any number of reasons really.
One think is for sure, he can't take it with him when he's dead, so time to make a plan either way.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:41 PM
97 D90 SW
I feel bad for this D90...

My bet is someone stretched themselves to own one without taking into consideration the costs associated with owning one... Then life happens. He gets married or has a kid or goes through a career transition or whatever. And the d90 falls into disrepair. The guy probably thinks he will come back one day and restore his first love or whatever. In the meantime, the rig continues to disintegrate.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:18 AM
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110
These situations are so sad. I know of 2 D90s in San Francisco sitting outside on rotting tires. At least one of them, a yellow ST, has a cover on it but that's only beacause it has no top. The other is a green POE that the fiberglass top it turning to powder. Both are only about a half mile from the bay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90