Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
HVLP guns

There seems to be cheap and expensive and nothing in between. I see lots of chinese ones from Harbor Freight and the like, then there's Devilbiss, and then SATA Jet and Iwata at the high end.
Has anyone enough experience to say what gun is the one to buy? I feel like I should buy a quality tool.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I would stcik with devilbiss or another recognizeable name so that you can easily source parts for it. they don't last forever.

If you want you can borrow my non-HVLP gun, I just need to clean it, got put away wet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
There seems to be cheap and expensive and nothing in between. I see lots of chinese ones from Harbor Freight and the like, then there's Devilbiss, and then SATA Jet and Iwata at the high end.
Has anyone enough experience to say what gun is the one to buy? I feel like I should buy a quality tool.
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Practice makes a huge difference.

It has been several years since I painted HVLP. I used only HF HVLP guns at 25-30psi input pressure (much lower tip pressure) and my first panel came out looking very bad. My 6th panel was pretty freaking awesome.

You can do "professional" work with the HF gun # 66222. Given a good buffer, time and technique, you can probably paint better than a "professional" with the HF gun because the "professional" isn't going to wet sand and buff each layer to a mirror finish like you will.

Paint prep is a huge part of good results. Thin the paint enough, don't put too much paint on between coats (impatience will kill your finish), and debulk two-component paints before application otherwise you will get air bubbles.

Practice, practice, practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
100.00 for the set

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

HVLP requires a minimum of about 12 CFM from your compressor - most single stage compressors struggle to supply this much air - but if you have a 5 HP 80 gallon compressor you're probably close.

We use a lot of the Binks Mach 1 SL spray guns at Lockheed - if they are good enough for the F-22 and F-35 they should work well for anyone. I also like the Devilbiss Compact guns - they use less air than the Binks and provide a great finish - you have to turn the supplied pressure down or you blow the center out of the pattern - something I have a hard time getting my painters to do (painters always want to use wide open air at 80+ PSI for some reason even if the gun works demonstrably better at 50 PSI).

The Kremlin guns provide great atomization - its what we use to put the final touches on the F-22 Raptor.

I never had much success with the SATA guns but they have a good reputation in the automotive industry. My bodyman used the SATA to spray my Porsche and it looks fabulous - meticulous prep is the key.

CAT Technologies also have some very nice spray guns at an attractive price - the company was started by a bunch of ex-Binks engineers and their guns are very good.

For my own use I generally grab my Devilbiss Compact gun.

I usually buy my spray guns from Air Power/Insco in Madison GA - 770-788-1975 - great industrial supply folks who I have worked with on spray equipment for almost thirty years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat