Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
One thing I was wondering last night seeing houses and places leveled is how the building codes that will be updated along the ny/nj shore. I have seen while on vacation time in the Keys that the new houses are built like fortresses with a ton of concrete/rebar and up pretty high.
Many of the houses that got killed are in, shall we say, less affluent neighborhoods. If you look at the evidence you'll see most are wood frame on slab that sits on sand. Plus, they are maybe 6 feet apart. On top of that they are on streets that are narrow and complex, so getting large fire apparatus in there is tough on a good day.
The houses that were built on pilings sunk deep into the sand did way better. They suffered damage to the upper structure but the foundations remained. This costs way way more than the above mentioned foundations and is certainly the best way to build on what is basically a sand bar.
It is doubtful that those people in Seaside Heights (now there's an oxymoron for ya) will rebuild any differently than what was there before. The lucky ones who lost their homes to fire will have them fully covered by their homeowners policy, while those who were flooded will have pretty much zero .
The bottom line is that there will be a storm again that eclipses this one. Maybe next month maybe in 1200 years, who knows. Anyone who lives on the shoreline must accept that risk.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
ok i know this is late but i just got power back here in asbury NJ......
there is still alot of people around here without power.........i do have a nice generator if someone needed to borrow it,

Also i have some 5 gallon cans of gas left and some diesel if anyone is desperate.....

let me know if i can help in anyway
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If building codes do not require you to build on cross braced pillars like in FL, then they can build as is.
Assuming they have flood insurance that is.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Kolton - good to hear you have power back. Did your parents get it? I heard Middletown is back with juice. Slowly but surely it is coming to the area but I have a feeling some places are going to take a very long time with mulitple poles down and damaged panels due to flooding.

Hopefully we will learn a lot from this storm. I am sure most will get built back up but will take a long time. Mother nature doesn't eff around.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Just checking in. Got the Internet working. Phone is working again. Generator has been working fine. And getting gas hasn't been that bad. I just go out around 10pm an fill about 50 gallons worth for my block lol. Only a 5-10 min wait. Got a lot of free firewood lol

Haven't been to work In 3.5 weeks. Need to get back the workload is piling up!

Rotr still on? Anyone going from here?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

My mother in bergen county got power today. It's weird. Her town didn't flood or anything but they were still screwed for a week.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I'm still out of power and Internet, my town still looks like a warzone, wires down, trees hanging on wires, trees blocking roads, it's been made much better, but the power company estimates around Tuesday or Wednesday we will get power back.

I have no actual damage, when we moved to this house my father and I cut 70-80 trees on the property in around a year and a half.

Gas shortages are bad in westchester right now, long ass lines at the gas stations, most aren't even open, but I just go to Danbury and fill up like its a normal day for $3.75 a gallon, no lines nothing.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90 View Post
I remember one thing that caused me grief from Hurricane Rita, fuel quality. Either water in the fuel or bottom of the barrel dirty fuel, I went through two sets of diesel filter in my Ford Super Duty. And that is a quick way to get stranded. Not a bad idea to get your hands on some fuel filters for whatever you may drive, might keep you from getting stranded some where. The first filter clog left me stranded, had to change it in the parking lot. It's not like there where any shops open to have the truck towed to for repair. We had to drive about 60 miles round trip to find a filter, burned half a day. Guess when so much fuel is being moved through all the pumps it really kicks up all the stuff on the bottom and I also notice a lot of water in the fuel. So running a product that make water miscible in gas/diesel is not a bad thing either.
That truck doesn't have a water separator?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
Gas shortages are bad in westchester right now, long ass lines at the gas stations, most aren't even open, but I just go to Danbury and fill up like its a normal day for $3.75 a gallon, no lines nothing.
You're not just filling up on your filtered gas?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Just checking in. Got the Internet working. Phone is working again. Generator has been working fine. And getting gas hasn't been that bad. I just go out around 10pm an fill about 50 gallons worth for my block lol. Only a 5-10 min wait. Got a lot of free firewood lol

Haven't been to work In 3.5 weeks. Need to get back the workload is piling up!

Rotr still on? Anyone going from here?
Just noticed more parts of Red Bank are back up. Did you get power yet?

I would like to do ROTR - are you still planning to go? I might have to go one day - thinking driving out Friday and wheeling Sat - then drive home as long as the rig doesn't break, haha.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
On my way home they said we got power now. Call me this week about rotr
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429
On my way home they said we got power now. Call me this week about rotr
Ahhhh. Just got home. I'm one house away from having power. O well. Another night on the genset
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You're not just filling up on your filtered gas?
In the 4runner yeah, but that shit destroys carbs and fuel lines so too risky for the rover.
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
A friend of mine gave me a tip I will forward here.

If you can get to a marina that is open with power that has fuel pumps you might be able to skip the gas station lines.
Hey Gery - I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. I've been thinking about you as i travel though South Amityville visiting friends who lost it all.

The destruction is unbelievable along the south shore of Long Island. The surge was fast, furious and relentless, as it always is. Many homes on the Bay had their backs blown out by the waves. It's odd seeing garage doors bent up and outwards from houses.

My house in Old Harbour Green in Massapequa was surrounded by water, which rose from 7:30 to 9:30 before stopping a foot short of entering the main level. People living here for 30-50 years have never seen a drop of flood water in the neighborhood, unlike many of the lower lying areas around like Nassau Shores. House fire behind us burned two homes to the ground. We ended up with 4 feet in the basement that entered through the garage and basement windows. It took 10 hours to pump and cleanup that's taken 5 days. The water table was pushed up so high by the surge that water is still coming through the sumps. Very glad to have a generator keeping the pumps going. Boiler and hot water heater were submerged, but luckily my plumber got them going again, so we have heat and hot water.

For me, it's all just stuff, despite the close call. Too many people lost way too much. The road to recovery will be long, but the good news is that community spirit has been high. Time to band together to help friends and neighbors.
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Hey Gery - I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. I've been thinking about you as i travel though South Amityville visiting friends who lost it all.

The destruction is unbelievable along the south shore of Long Island. The surge was fast, furious and relentless, as it always is. Many homes on the Bay had their backs blown out by the waves. It's odd seeing garage doors bent up and outwards from houses.

My house in Old Harbour Green in Massapequa was surrounded by water, which rose from 7:30 to 9:30 before stopping a foot short of entering the main level. People living here for 30-50 years have never seen a drop of flood water in the neighborhood, unlike many of the lower lying areas around like Nassau Shores. House fire behind us burned two homes to the ground. We ended up with 4 feet in the basement that entered through the garage and basement windows. It took 10 hours to pump and cleanup that's taken 5 days. The water table was pushed up so high by the surge that water is still coming through the sumps. Very glad to have a generator keeping the pumps going. Boiler and hot water heater were submerged, but luckily my plumber got them going again, so we have heat and hot water.

For me, it's all just stuff, despite the close call. Too many people lost way too much. The road to recovery will be long, but the good news is that community spirit has been high. Time to band together to help friends and neighbors.
Im right down the block on lagoon helping out my in-laws if you need anything don't hesitate to call me 5169021001
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
This was in DC... Near my sister's house.

Nothing like you guys in NY/NJ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	60282  
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
My buddy took a ton of pics of Sea Bright.

One pic of our beach club shows a Disco II that looks like it got caught into it. My D90 was parked in that lot a bunch of times over the years.

Boats were tossed around like Matchbox toys. A bunch were left in a small island, more were dropped on the other side of the river in Rumson.

I was surprised just how much sand was dumped. Looks like a bad snowstorm.

I am sure there are many other small towns north and south that look the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63128_10151118138981629_1217714880_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	60287   Click image for larger version

Name:	69783_10151118135646629_2036162496_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	60288  

Name:	222462_10151118135236629_141899498_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	60289   Click image for larger version

Name:	548948_10151118140006629_337542378_n.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	60290  

Name:	550148_10151118145756629_2115462746_n.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	60291  
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post

Glad to hear the recovery is going ok George. Sounds like it was a very close call. I feel so bad for the people that just lost it all
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Been helping in Breezy Point clearing debris & venting walls in those homes that survived. I'm shocked at the devastation and the resilience of individuals. Sadly enough, I have not really seen much outside help other than sanitation, FDNY & NYPD. The 100+ burned homes is beyond words. Though in positive, we were helping someone search the ashes of of his home looking for his wifes' engagement ring which had been his grandmothers and it was incredibly enough found sifting through a strainer! Small miracles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-8.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	60336   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-9.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	60337  

Name:	photo-10.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	60338  
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Inverters vay widely in their wattage. know what the wattage total is of what you intend to power before you buy.

to oversimplify to the extreme, I'd stay at a max of 500 watt continuous or below for use in a car running at idle with everything off. Laptops are about 60 watts as an example, etc. there are tons of websites that have common household appliance wattage consumption rates for inverter/rv planning.

LED lighting is your friend in a disaster. I have an onboard inverter, dual batteries and I also have the energizer battery car charger for AA/AAA that I use for all my camp lighting.
It might sound like overkill, but I've found that a battery hooked up to an inverter, then plugged into a UPS can usually clean up the power delivery enough to greatly limit any damage to the device you're trying to use. You can pick up smaller UPS' on Amazon for about $50-80 too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat