Hurricane Sandy - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 1st, 2012, 08:04 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
So my generator has been working out great since Monday night but now having real issues finding gas. Waited for 3 hours today at a gas station in West Orange, NJ. Have enough for maybe another day or so...
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I understand that worry. Was about to refill my propane tank and forgot due to other pressing issues. Of course an electric wire drops in front of my driveway and I rationed my generator usage because refills were impossible. Got lucky utility came through today. propane coming tomorrow with just 18% of the tank left.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Hey Guys , were good over here no damadge just no power ...my inlaws not so good spent 2 days pumping water out of there house and trying to hose out the 4 classic cars in the garage the water line was about chest high....i spoke to gary (amity D90).. and came up with a plan ... ill be out all day today looking for a industrial space to get all the cars in so i could get this ball rolling ..its pretty bad out here if your not at the gas pumps by 4 am you could forget getting any gas wihout waiting hours , all food stores are still low all resturants and delis have lines and limted food
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
What part of LI are you in?
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

im in farmingdale ....inlaws massapequa on water .....
have been spendin everyhour pumping water fixing multiple generators and hooking up my neighbors houses for heat ....let not mention tying to drive on the roads here is like the wild west no traffic lights ........truly sux ....
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
So my generator has been working out great since Monday night but now having real issues finding gas. Waited for 3 hours today at a gas station in West Orange, NJ. Have enough for maybe another day or so...

If you need to ration your gas you can try a small inverter from Wal-mart for only $40.
I have one and it takes a car battery to run my 2 lamps, TV and cable box. I know you still need the generator for appliances but with this you may be able to let the generator run a little less often. Plus they are great to have for camping or Rover road trips. Just another idea.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Inverters vay widely in their wattage. know what the wattage total is of what you intend to power before you buy.

to oversimplify to the extreme, I'd stay at a max of 500 watt continuous or below for use in a car running at idle with everything off. Laptops are about 60 watts as an example, etc. there are tons of websites that have common household appliance wattage consumption rates for inverter/rv planning.

LED lighting is your friend in a disaster. I have an onboard inverter, dual batteries and I also have the energizer battery car charger for AA/AAA that I use for all my camp lighting.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
A friend of mine gave me a tip I will forward here.

If you can get to a marina that is open with power that has fuel pumps you might be able to skip the gas station lines.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-443729963.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	60205

No line here in Bergen County.... The ones with Gas are horrible.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
posted that pic on FB!

Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
A friend of mine gave me a tip I will forward here.

If you can get to a marina that is open with power that has fuel pumps you might be able to skip the gas station lines.
yea thought of that but would be afraid of water ingress in the main tank and getting anywhere near the water is a chore..... not to mention the price is almost double
Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
also keep in mind that 25% mix of clean cooking oil in a diesel tank is G2G. Just in case!

Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
We are half way there on the yard cleanup. Kinda nice working outside all day. You don't think that anything is wrong until you go inside or into the garage.

Parts of Red Bank have power and looked better than normal last night. I am hoping more and more outside areas will start getting power so we can at least drive to them to get fuel, food, etc.

We have been ok at night but no power is starting to get old. Temps are supposed to drop so might have to sleep downstairs near the fireplace tonight. Like overlander said, LED is your friend and LED headlamps are the freakin treats! Plus I can use all this extra lighting when working under the 90 when things are back to normal.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I feel your pain about no power, hope it won't be as long as we had to wait after hurricane Rita, my neighbor hood did not have power for 33 days after the storm. And getting fuel was a real pain in the ass too. But that came back within a week or two. Never realize how bad the stuff is on the news until you live it yourself. After that storm I vowed not to touch my chainsaw again for at least a year. I went from novice chain saw man to very proficient in about 4 weeks. There where days when I would use my saw for 4-5 hours straight.....you can cut up a lot of stuff in that amount of time. Stay safe and just be thankful for all you do have. It will get better.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Checking in from Hunterdon County, NJ. We had some limbs down, no damage to the house and power restored last night. I have been working pretty much non-stop performing emergency inspections of waterfront structures around Manhattan and NJ. The worst part is trying to keep 2 boats, compressors and generators fueled. None of the fuel docks around NYC that I know of are working. And, I just read that gas rations will begin in NJ today. Luckily I don't live too far from PA, no lines there. Stay safe everyone.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:43 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I remember one thing that caused me grief from Hurricane Rita, fuel quality. Either water in the fuel or bottom of the barrel dirty fuel, I went through two sets of diesel filter in my Ford Super Duty. And that is a quick way to get stranded. Not a bad idea to get your hands on some fuel filters for whatever you may drive, might keep you from getting stranded some where. The first filter clog left me stranded, had to change it in the parking lot. It's not like there where any shops open to have the truck towed to for repair. We had to drive about 60 miles round trip to find a filter, burned half a day. Guess when so much fuel is being moved through all the pumps it really kicks up all the stuff on the bottom and I also notice a lot of water in the fuel. So running a product that make water miscible in gas/diesel is not a bad thing either.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
I finally scored some gas for my generator at a Hess station on route 9 in Woodbridge NJ! Waited on line for an hour and a half but was able to fill up five, 5-gallon cans. Regular is only $3.19/gallon at Hess. Couldn't believe it. Should be enough to get me through 4 more days with smart rationing... It should be a crime that these gas stations don't have back-up power. Most of the stations I've come across have gas but no power to pump it out. They are hoarding the gas as a result. Hess has big generators at most of their stations.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Here in FL, after all of the hurricanes hit (actually I think it was after Francis specifically), we had the same problem with the gas stations. Now, it's mandatory that every gas station has a back up generator.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Seems to be more and more places getting power. Actually had a nice little dinner in Red Bank last night with the family. Felt normal which was nice.

Got to watch tv and just felt aweful. Massive destruction all around us and I feel like a tool just mentioning that I had some trees down and no power. The town of Sea Bright right next to us is annihilated. We spend a bunch of time there in the summer and grab take out or go eat there even in the winter. I feel real bad for those folks and will see what can be done to help them out.

------ Follow up post added November 3rd, 2012 09:03 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
Here in FL, after all of the hurricanes hit (actually I think it was after Francis specifically), we had the same problem with the gas stations. Now, it's mandatory that every gas station has a back up generator.
Seems like it would be easy to implement. Even with power coming back in areas - fuel is becoming the issue.

One thing I was wondering last night seeing houses and places leveled is how the building codes that will be updated along the ny/nj shore. I have seen while on vacation time in the Keys that the new houses are built like fortresses with a ton of concrete/rebar and up pretty high.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

After Andrew disintegrated Homestead, Miami-Dade got their sh*t together and came up with some pretty good building codes. We built a waterfront house in Jupiter with a new dock that was required to be 7' above mean high tide. Try getting out of a boat and onto the dock in anything but extreme high tide - was pretty interesting to say the least. That said, after Francis - it was one of the only docks left undamaged in the area. (Fortunately, we did not have a 13' storm surge on top of high tide like you guys did)

On a side note, I am proud reading how most of you on this forum were pretty well prepared and on point going into this storm. I've been following it the whole time, and many took it entirely too lightly. Sadly, some paid dearly for it. The problem with these storms is you never know which one is going to be a dud, and which one will be live.

Best from South FL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat