Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Hurricane Creek with GoPro

So I tried out a new trail and a new camera today with some new Rover friends. It was pretty fun with a bit of rain early this morning then it kinda cleared up. In case any of you were cooped up in the house today you can take a ride vicariously through a couple of videos. Nothing too crazy. A couple of obstacles sure seemed sketchy at the time but they don't look like anything on the video.

Enjoy!

and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cool
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Thats some good stuff! what kind of camera and how do you have it mounted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
It's the GoPro Hero 2 camera with the roll bar mount on the top of my brush guard. You can buy all kinds of mounts for them and stick them pretty much anywhere you would want. I added a 45 lb test fishing leader to the bar for a safety lanyard. I think you can hear the swivel bouncing around in the video so I'm going to tape that down to eliminate the rattle. The point of view doesn't really do justice to the terrain. The shorter video shows a couple of rocky bits that were kinda sketchy with a ravine on the right. It doesn't look like anything on the video though. I might try to put it on the bottom of the brush guard next time so the height of obstacles would be represented more clearly.

Cgalpin has some video he shot with one on here also. As he pointed out the sound is a tad crummy because of the waterproof housing. If it is a clear day and not dusty you can use an open housing (included) that exposes the mic, and the camera to all the elements.

I think it is a cool thing. For what it does it's priced pretty reasonably too. It takes up to 11 MP stills and shoots video in 1080 or about six other modes. Low light performance is pretty poor, but most outdoor activities happen in daylight so I can't complain about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4155625632.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	47080  
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I've been using the Contour GPS. Pretty good camera. Agreed that trail recording may not impart how sketchy it really was, but I've been on some of thos about 8 years back and I almost puckered!
http://contour.com/products/contour-gps
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
GoPro really hit it out of the park with Hero 2. It's pretty awesome.

When we were scuba diving in the bahamas, there were several couples down at 50m running full 1080P at the widest angle setting. Skiing last weekend in Whitetail, several folks had them mounted on their helmets.

There's no other camera on the market that has the same features for the price...yet...

Great vids and thanks for sharing!!
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
That Contour looks pretty cool. I like the GPS addition. That would be great for mapping trail rides that don't show up on maps.
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM
D110DC
Pete
66 SIIA, 70 IIA, 97 D90

Registry
Off Road with GoPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I think it is a cool thing. For what it does it's priced pretty reasonably too. It takes up to 11 MP stills and shoots video in 1080 or about six other modes. Low light performance is pretty poor, but most outdoor activities happen in daylight so I can't complain about that.
Agreed. Here is a GoPro clip during some light off-roading with a friend Kelly Graham in TN: http://youtu.be/kyRzDjFQDlU

1966 ECR Series IIA
1970 Series IIA (Stella)
1997 D90 ST
2011 LR4 HSE
2010 Range Rover Supercharged

Sadly gone (some more sadly than others):
1983 D110 Double Cab 300 TDi
1989 RRC
1996 D1
2006 LR3
2008 RR
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Pretty neat! Thanks for sharing.
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
One thing that I want to explore with it is the time lapse feature. It can take stills at different intervals. That would be cool for a frame swap project or something on that scope.
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Wierd question, but how much does that camera weigh with the housing? I'm tempted to buy one for hunting and mounting it to my headgear.

Thanks for sharing the vids.
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Yea the go pro's rock. I use it on my race car all the time. I've stuck it on the lower valance and its pretty steady at 140mph+, literally inches from the ground.

There is a high and low setting on the sound, I found for low speed motoring or inside a vehicle the best is a low sound setting (blocks alot of the noise), but with the waterproof gasket removed. You'll need the gasket obviously if it may get submerged.

For my motorcycle or exterior mounting on my race car, i used low setting with the gasket.

As for weight, they are pretty light Maybe a coulple oz's, i dont really notice it when mounted on my helmet. On just a headband/headgear of sort for hunting you may notice it but you wont get a sore neck or anything
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Where is thIs Hurricane Creek?
Sterling, VA
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Hurricane creek is in a funny spot. It is directly off I40 west of Asheville. There is a street sign for it about mile marker 8 westbound. There is a big rockslide on the interstate in the area right now so we had to go past all the orange barrels to get to it. It was a nice trail, nothing too crazy, with a mud bog area and a hill climb area too. Some of it borders private property so we just stuck to the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-979497593.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	47109  
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
The GoPros are pretty slick. I got one of the SD ones when they first came out but then got a HD version at Interbike a couple of years ago. The HD blows the SD away and I think the latest version is even better and has more features.

A couple of things I've noticed with the GoPro - if you are taking video of someone/something you need to be close. When I would "train" behind my buddies riding bikes or my kids snowboarding I would have to be right on their asses for the footage to look pretty decent. Helmet cam is good for following someone but I like the chest mount for solo stuff because you get a little more feel of what the terrain is like. I think the GoPro does a good job with showing speed and direction. This vid is sick and shows speed well and at least for me as a rider gives a sense of height/hangtime. Super insane level of riding a bike: BTW, I've ridden at one of those spots and the footage doesn't do it justice - I didn't even ride that line and was scared watching people run it. I'd post a clip of some of my stuff but compared to that Vinyl clip, "we are not worthy"

Video cameras usually "dumb" down stuff and with the GoPro if you are filming something and using the wide angle/fisheye setting then getting low and close works. I think a GoPro mounted on the rear corner of a truck and aimed down the side showing the wheels working would yield some good footage. BTW, I think the new ones have a normal lens setting so I'm not sure how the footage looks in that settting.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Good stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat