Hurculiner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 13th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hurculiner

Kinda lame, but since I haven't seen too many projects lately I thought I would post this. I started to notice my carpet stinking like shiat lately so I tore it out, sanded down and Hurculined the bed like a lot of you guys have done. I am amazed how well it turned out. Thats it, no tech. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	herc.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	3556   Click image for larger version

Name:	herc2.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	3557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	herc3.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	3558   Click image for larger version

Name:	herc4.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	3559  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

nice job, did you do it yourself? HAve you gotten everything back together and driven it? If so did you notice an increase in sound deadening?
Old August 13th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I did it myself. I have driven it but with the floor out so I can't tell you if it deadens sound. If I had to quess, I would say no. For one, I am comparing it to having carpet, so I couldn't really tell anyway, and it is thin. Not nearly as thick as Rhino or Line-x. Took two coats just to get it to cover the lighter spots.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2005, 01:02 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Looks like a good job, but the thing abouy herculiner is that it will never weigh more than the can did to begin with. More of an anti-scratch coating.
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Looks like a good job, but the thing abouy herculiner is that it will never weigh more than the can did to begin with. More of an anti-scratch coating.
Huh?

Anyway, I just noticed you are in WA. I grew up in Redmond and my oarents own a house on Whidbey (sp) Island. Good to see that a fellow Seattle boy is on the board. I miss that place very much, not the rain, but the culture.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:23 AM
obie
Patrick Oberg
'95 Disco ~ '04 E500 Benz

David~

did you goto Redmond High? I graduated RHS in 1991 ... then joined the USMC ... now hangin' in VA ...

you & me both, i miss Seattle and getting fresh Halibut!!

"To prepare for a race, there is nothing better than a good phesant, some champagne and a woman." -- Jacques Anquetil

'04 E500 Benz
'02 Colnago
'95 Discovery
'79 Pearson '39
'67 Cal '25

--
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie
David~

did you goto Redmond High? I graduated RHS in 1991 ... then joined the USMC ... now hangin' in VA ...

you & me both, i miss Seattle and getting fresh Halibut!!
Small world! My sister graduated from Redmond High in 94. I went to Eastlake, a new HS at the time up on the Plateau. Graduated in 97. At that time it was part of Redmond but now is called Sammamish. Semper Fi bud!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM
obie
Patrick Oberg
'95 Disco ~ '04 E500 Benz

David~

cool, ya- i get back there about once a year and it astounds me to know end how much it grows!!

i do plan on moving back for good soon ... i especially want to when its this hot out here on the east coast!!

i'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks on vaca! spending time with folks in Marina Del Ray, doing some sailing with dad and then headed to Baja!! love southern california!!

"To prepare for a race, there is nothing better than a good phesant, some champagne and a woman." -- Jacques Anquetil

'04 E500 Benz
'02 Colnago
'95 Discovery
'79 Pearson '39
'67 Cal '25

--
Old August 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Very cool! I wouldn't mind moving back there some day. The weather is hard to take some time, but other than that, it's a cool place. Have fun in Baja!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Funny that - I went to Cascade HS up in Everett, but have been going where the Army has sent me for the last 12 years. I'm burning leave between assignments now so we're staying at our place out on Bainbridge. Next assignment is Monterey CA, so I'll be headed in your direction in September.
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Jim,

Going to the defense Language institute?
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Huh?
Ok, to get back to the 'huh' question per Jim Cheney's statement on how the Herculiner doesn't end up weighing more...

I believe he means that the stuff isn't like RHINO-LINING which is solid. Don't get me wrong when Herculiner is first installed it looks great, nice & black & shiny... But after time, the stuff is literal JUNK.
I put some in my footwells and put a good number of coats too because that's the only area I did... Well, it's faded, came off in a number of spots and doesn't hold up AT ALL to brake fluid, it literally peels off like paper.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or interrupt a high school reunion but I'll never use that crap again.

Nicholas Orros

Old August 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well Mr. Orros I used that "crap" on my 90! And I have freinds who used it on their pickup trucks 3-4 years ago and they all look fine and get abused much harder then the interior of your D-90. I can pressuer wash mine with soap to get it back to black and as long as you do the proper prep before painting it won't come off. As to not being able to hold up to break fluid, well I don't think very many products that a consumer can buy will hold up to break fluid! I did the inside of mine and have recived allot of comments on how much better it looks then what was in there!
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:38 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfndr90
Jim,

Going to the defense Language institute?
Yep, I'm off to DLI for a 47 week course in Russian. I dont know the first thing about Russian, but I will soon and then it will be all I do for the rest of my career.

WRT to clarifying my earlier comment - I meant that however many layers of Herculiner you apply, the mass of the coating will never exceed the original mass of the contents of the can. I wanted a lining primarily as a sound deadener and heat barrier, and I realized that a coat of paint wouldnt have the desired effect. The rhino-lining on my seatbox added about 15 pounds of material and is very thick in most places.
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There's no doubt that Line-x or Rhino is way better, but this was cheap, and thats the way I like it. Plus, it's easy to patch, which is good when you keep modifying things, or welding too close to the sheet metal. And it's not exactly paint, it's very durable and skid resistant... and cheap. BTW, why Russian? I would go with Arabic. There are rumors out there that some people who speak Arabic might be of interest to the Army.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Well Mr. Orros I used that "crap" on my 90! And I have freinds who used it on their pickup trucks 3-4 years ago and they all look fine and get abused much harder then the interior of your D-90. I can pressuer wash mine with soap to get it back to black and as long as you do the proper prep before painting it won't come off. As to not being able to hold up to break fluid, well I don't think very many products that a consumer can buy will hold up to break fluid! I did the inside of mine and have recived allot of comments on how much better it looks then what was in there!
Hey Mr. Hippert, it's funny you're usually pretty smart. Herculiner is crap, it will 'kind of' hold up, and you'd know how I keep my interior eh ? You have no idea how much it rains down here (Daily my friend) and how literally flooded my footwell compartment is. In any case, RhinoLining is the shit and WILL hold up to brake fluid, gas, chemicals etc. Normal cheap asses won't go that extra mile, like me, and I learned.

Oh, from Rhino's website:
"...protection against even the harshest elements, including fuels, fertilizers and most corrosive chemicals..."

Nicholas

Old August 17th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, I still don't see break fluid on your little list there. And I don't think your using your D-90's foot wells that hard, like dragging concrete across it, filling it with rocks, dragging pallets in and out of dragging chains in and out of. And I don't see any evidence to back up your crap theory other then your flapping jaw. I may not know how flooded yours gets but I do know you know just how flooded mine gets and everything has held up rather well. The tub of my 90 hold water when it rains, and it was filled with water for 2 weeks when the T-case went down and I couldn't drive it up something to drain the water and it is not peeling at all. So back up what you talk Mr., I want to see pics of this "crap" and proof that you did proper prep prior to panting.
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:35 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

LOL...

I can get you pics of the Herculiner crap in my D90 but there's no way I can go back 2 years and get you 'proof'... Nice try though for trying to sound smart on this one but in reality you're digging yourself a hole.

I'm just saying that there's no way that Herculiner is ANYWHERE NEAR the protective coating 'mastery' of RHINO LINING, no IF's, AND's or BUT's.

Nicholas

Old August 17th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
LOL...

I can get you pics of the Herculiner crap in my D90 but there's no way I can go back 2 years and get you 'proof'... Nice try though for trying to sound smart on this one but in reality you're digging yourself a hole.

I'm just saying that there's no way that Herculiner is ANYWHERE NEAR the protective coating 'mastery' of RHINO LINING, no IF's, AND's or BUT's.

Nicholas
So your calling me stupid but you have no actual facts to back up what you say? And I never said anything about it being as protective as Rhino or anything else, I just never made claims that it was crap without having some kind of evidence, you have no evidence as you so obviously did not do proper prep work when you applied the product, and you say I'm trying to sound smart, you may want to think a little more before you talk there buddy! You say crap, I say for the price, how easy it is to repair and how well it has held up for myself and others I know it is GREAT!
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:06 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Easy now there Mike, it's just a game. We all know 'you're the man'.

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat