Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Hunting season

OK.

I like to kill animals. I posted this in the Misc. section, to see what everybody's hunting plans are for the fall/winter.

I am heading to Montana for Elk and Mule deer, then to PA, IN, NY, for deer, NJ for Bear, then back to MT for lion....

Who else on here likes to hunt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Wow, quite a season planned. I'm heading down the road with my bow tomorrow and Sunday for some tree stand zen.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:56 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I like to hunt as well. My perfect season would driving into West Philly for an afternoon with about 1000 rounds,...

Seriously though, if you're hunting bear, PM for a sweet spot in north central Pa. They average 500+ pound Black bear yearly. I know a few years ago they pulling 613-625 lb monsters.
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

that would be a twelve pages thread on d-web...i personnaly don't like to kill animals, but i like to eat them and i try not to be a hypocrit, so i don't criticize hunters like a lot of people do.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

Lions in Montana

Do you need a special stamp?
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintek View Post
Do you need a special stamp?
For the general area's you can buy a tag 5 or 6 days before you plan to hunt. Special areas require a drawing. I have been trying for 3 years. It's a tough hunt.... and I won't take a female cat..... It is a weather game with cats and the winters have not been normal for the past two years....
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Not to pollute the thread with my tree hugging sensibility but I see killing for entertainment as wasteful and a bit twisted. I guess it's the times we live in.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
that would be a twelve pages thread on d-web...i personnaly don't like to kill animals, but i like to eat them and i try not to be a hypocrit, so i don't criticize hunters like a lot of people do.
I love to hunt.

I have parties all winter long at my house... butchering parties (when i bring home bulk meat or a whole deer), sausage parties (when all the wives pack sausage...no joke), smoking parties (when we smoke the sausage).... It's a great time.

My shed becomes a butcher house in the winter.....
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

Lions

I think I was thinking about the MGM lion and not a mountain lion.
I'm just a sissy with that stuff. My wife can shoot a 3" pattern at 25 yards with her Colt Python or King Cobra.
My best bet is to throw the gun and hope I hit something.
In the seventies I spent a week bear hunting in Maine with friends. Unless a bear walked across the card table and knocked over the bottle of peppermint schnapps he was pretty safe.
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I have been bowhunting most of my life. My hunting partner got an elk with a bow this year. That was a fun day.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

I am jealous of your Montana hunt. I applied for Antelope there this year, but didn't get drawn. I am hunting NW PA for a week though and Arizona for Quail a couple times.

I am out in liberal Cal now. You will have better luck with a lottery than the hunting lottery here....
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Trey
Trey Garrett
1984 Land Rover 90

Love to hunt. Killed an 8pt on opening day with my bow. Will hunt in Wisconsin, Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi, and Alabama this year.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
If I'm going into the woods I'd rather have my bike with me or my 90. And if I'm going to MT it will be in the middle of winter with my board and heading to the hills. That being said, this weekend I shoot some guns at a buddy's club not all that far from tjslaughters location. It was a lot of fun and I'd like to go out and experience a real hunt someday. But would feel pretty shitty if I didn't at least try to eat what was shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair
Not to pollute the thread with my tree hugging sensibility but I see killing for entertainment as wasteful and a bit twisted. I guess it's the times we live in.
It seems to me the real hunters will use a much of the animal as they can - see Slaughter's post - so there seems to be more than just the entertainment of killing. I can also see us, as humans, hurt animals more with urban sprawl as evident of the number of deer that can be seen bouncing through peoples' yard even during the day in this area and killed by cars hitting them. But I see what you're saying and agree if it's done in a wasteful and twisted way.
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
It seems to me the real hunters will use a much of the animal as they can - see Slaughter's post - so there seems to be more than just the entertainment of killing. I can also see us, as humans, hurt animals more with urban sprawl as evident of the number of deer that can be seen bouncing through peoples' yard even during the day in this area and killed by cars hitting them. But I see what you're saying and agree if it's done in a wasteful and twisted way.

I use as much of the meat as possible. Airline fees have been making it expensive lately. I take care of friends and family first. Then meat goes to my local chapter for Ducks Unlimited for fund raising dinners (for wildlife conservation efforts). After that I will offer it to the land owners that I hunt on. Last but not least I will pay to have meat packaged for the local homeless shelters. I guess game meat beats getting canned chili or mac and cheese.

Anyway heading out to Montana on Tuesday for a week to chase Mule Deer and Elk!
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I use as much of the meat as possible. Airline fees have been making it expensive lately. I take care of friends and family first. Then meat goes to my local chapter for Ducks Unlimited for fund raising dinners (for wildlife conservation efforts). After that I will offer it to the land owners that I hunt on. Last but not least I will pay to have meat packaged for the local homeless shelters. I guess game meat beats getting canned chili or mac and cheese.

Anyway heading out to Montana on Tuesday for a week to chase Mule Deer and Elk!
That's cool. Is there much demand for bear and mountain lion meat?
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
That's cool. Is there much demand for bear and mountain lion meat?
I won't get into a public discussion on hunting edible game and non-edible game. If the state will sell me a license I feel they have done their homework. I spend countless hours talking with biologist and that manage the areas I hunt and I know how and if I am impacting the areas positively or negatively.

On another note NJ bear meat is OK. Alaska bear meat is better as they have a better diet. Never killed a MT. Lion yet....
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am with Carey, a drive through the HOOD, satisfy my need for ANIMAL Killing ;-)
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I'd love to go hunting... I've never been and don't own a gun though.

Anybody in the DC area want a tag-along? Wifey and I LOVE venison.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Took my Defender dove hunting this year. Not sure if I will make it out for deer

I do know the Defender is going to a carbine match this weekend!
phoenix37 -> If only it were that easy...
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
I like to hunt as well. My perfect season would driving into West Philly for an afternoon with about 1000 rounds,....
I do this, but I never get one in season (ie trying to kill me).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat