Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hummer is History

GM announced its shutting down its Hummer division after negotiations to sell it to the Chinese broke down.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

So no H4 ?

Too bad, the next one was pretty cool.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I must say that I am not going to shed a tear. After the H1 it was all down hill.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010, 08:09 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Will that make them as sought after as the D90?
The production number were about the same, right.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Don't know. but I doubt it. They are not iconic vehicles in the way that Land Rovers are. If they did it would only be the H1 as the rest were mass produced garbage on wheels, not to mention ugly and poor performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Will that make them as sought after as the D90?
The production number were about the same, right.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am not sure the civilian H1s will become like the D90s. About 12k civilian verisions were built over 14 year. It's the military ones that will likely maintain value and appreciate. Something like 900 military ones were LEGALLY released on the US market.

Semper Fi!
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I did bump into a guy with an H1 that was a Diesel which was pretty cool.

But as far as the rest, lets just say there's a lot of nervous Guidos on LI that are worried about their warrantys!
Does putting 22's on void your warranty
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Wasn't the Hummer brand one of GM's more profitable units? Seems like they should keep it and get rid of Buick instead. But, that would not be green enough.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

It was profitable back when H2's and other huge SUVs were in in vogue, last year they sold less than 10,000 units.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Glad to see them go. The H1 was a pile of junk and the rest of the civvy crap was just riding on its coattails. I worked on a few civvy H1s, we even had one as a plow truck, just an abomination of crappiness. I think they have put 5 transmissions in this thing. The driveline bits were surprisingly small, little girly differentials and axleshafts. Of course the portals are reducing the torque, but you are still putting a load of power through basically a GM 10 bolt diff. Yeah good luck with that.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

This one doesn't look that bad:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/detr...er-hx-concept/
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, the H1 was gone a long time ago already.... from the civilian market. But it was only resold and civilianized by GM's hummer division. It was never a "Hummer" product at the core. They are still being built for military use by AM General, and will be for a a couple more years still until the next generation vehicle replaces it.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM
sn1987
Sandy
2008 D110 SW <3<3

i always had the feeling that it cannot be that good offroad because it didnt had fixed axles, sure it had cool ground clearance but so have landy with big enough wheels. It was also so huge that i would rather get Unimog and let some workhsop civilize/lux it up if needed. it would eat H1 any day and are lifetime reliable. Here in europe one of coolest benefit of Wrangler or Landy is that they go even through forest ways or walk ways. H1 would not fit on many roads and between trees there, so good luck with offroading then.
Here are H1s only as "limo" in rentals company. Nobody really cares about them.

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
2006 was the last year H1's were produced for the civilian market. Seems like, and correct me if I'm wrong, production went from about '92-'06 for the civilian market. Hummer H1 Alphas will only go up in value after this. These were produced only in 2006 with all interior upgrades and addressed all engine/transmission issues. However, these sold at a price tag around $150k and will remain that high, or increase. A limited number of these were produced. Throughout the years, Hummer H1's were modified due to recalls, engine/transmission issues, etc. Also, the engine size kept increasing as the years went on. These are great vehicles. To say they are not iconic is incorrect. It will go down as the classic U.S. military "jeep" of the 90s/00s. Like anything that gets discontinued, as supply drops, demand will go up. Therefore, I would bet that the price tags might go higher on these in the not too too distant future....but that won't take into account the military HMMWVs that will flood the market once they are replaced with a new upgraded military vehicle....we are already starting to phase these vehicles out by issuing them to foreign armies (such as Iraq). Therefore, parts will be scarce for a while due to the discontinuation, but will come back on line for a time when the military HMMWVs are phased out. Then again, it will be difficult to find quality mechanical parts due to the fact military vehicles are usually "beat up" and put through hell...so quality of parts might be in question at that point. Interior parts will be close to non-existant in the future, because military HMMWVs don't have the same interior options as the civilian counterpart. Personally, I like the classic H1. All of the H2s and H3s were crap, in my mind. The only true Hummer was the H1...and all hummer owners know this. You guys are going to hate me for this, but I plan on buying an H1 when I return from Afghanistan. I love those trucks.

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I guess I will probably be blacklisted for saying this, by I actually think the H3 was one of their best trucks. By the end of production the adventure package came with front center and rear selectable lockers, 4:1 low range and 33" tires (and 35's fit with some minor tweaks of the torsion bars) off the showroom floor. The little inline 5 was torquey enough for off-road and around town use, and the truck had great approach and departure angles and was available with a manual transmission.

If they had offered it with a nice little turbo diesel engine (they had an offering in Europe, but I don't honestly know the details, or if it was a good engine or not) and grafted a coil sprung rear axle on it (instead of adapting the Colorado's leaf sprung suspension) I think it would have been quite the Off-Road tool. Even as delivered I think it stands with the current Wrangler Rubicon for the best off the show room floor off-roader available these days. I even thought about buying one as a daily driver at one point

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I want a military HMMWV with slant back and a .50 cal machine gun...will that still be available? There are some bad drivers here in LA and I need to take them out...

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:15 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
I want a military HMMWV with slant back and a .50 cal machine gun...will that still be available? There are some bad drivers here in LA and I need to take them out...
Great idea! Go ahead and do that
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I've actually wheeled with an H3 guy a couple of times. The steering tie rods collapsed, first one, then the other as it was hauled back to a road. He eventually bought a Rubi.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Quote:
You're going to call me crazy, but on www.gunsamerica.com they had one exactly like that for sale out of Washington half a year ago....but instead of one .50 cal, there were two... $500k price tag. And oh yea, you had to have a Class III license, be law enforcement, or be in the military to buy it.

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Looks like we missed our window. I was hoping to buy a Windrunner before the CA ban of 50 cals. but didnt get the chance.

http://02bfe1c.netsolhost.com/products/m96.htm

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat