All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Bill:
The LRNA Posse is in the next canyon and will soon catch up with these evil copyright claim jumpers.
Many years ago (1975?) when Land Rover pulled out of North America, Sandy Grice, the ROAV President wrote a letter to LRNA asking for the rights to the Land Rover name and logo.

Sandy got an official letter bask saying sure, we won't be back.
The rest is history so to speak.

If I were in the George Costanza mode to do the opposite of what sound logic dictates, I would do exactly what the debaclers at LRNA do.
LRNA works so hard to alienate themselves from the real Land Rover community in this country !!!
They are the best of the best when it comes to being knuckleheads, completely out f touch.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Bill: The LRNA Posse is in the next canyon and will soon catch up with these evil copyright claim jumpers. Many years ago (1975?) when Land Rover pulled out of North America, Sandy Grice, the ROAV President wrote a letter to LRNA asking for the rights to the Land Rover name and logo. Sandy got an official letter bask saying sure, we won't be back. The rest is history so to speak. If I were in the George Costanza mode to do the opposite of what sound logic dictates, I would do exactly what the debaclers at LRNA do. LRNA works so hard to alienate themselves from the real Land Rover community in this country !!! They are the best of the best when it comes to being knuckleheads, completely out f touch.
Robert,

Simple, we do not buy the 100k supercharged and ask the dealer to install 22" marcellino chrome rims with low profile tires, and thousands on chrome bling

Why would they care about us, after all we put our rovers in mud holes , so unconsidered of us
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

So if they officially granted rights to sandy grace.. How does that leave him standing now..if he was granted rights then he should be able to do whatever he wants with the name..
Old August 3rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Look what I drove today...

Oops, wrong post...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Shayne -

Sandy asked for permission to use the Rover logo in his capacity as President of the Rover Owners Association of Virginia (ROAV). The the club has permission to use the logo. The LR Logo is part of the ROAV logo.
Sterling, VA
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:22 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Robert,

Simple, we do not buy the 100k supercharged and ask the dealer to install 22" marcellino chrome rims with low profile tires, and thousands on chrome bling

Why would they care about us, after all we put our rovers in mud holes , so unconsidered of us
Exactly.

LRNA is embarrassed when a "real" Land Rover 90 or 110 shows up at the dealership for servicing, especially a ROW with a diesel.
The sales manager calls LRNA and asks why can't we get these Defender style vehicles, we could sell lots of them.
LRNA wants ROW + 1993 NAS 110s + all the NAS 90s to just go away.
Next thing you know LRNA is putting pressure on CBT to keep ROW Defender style vehicles out of USA.
The problem is LRNA can't cooperate accurately as we have seen recently, but enough said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Sandy asked for permission to use the Rover logo in his capacity as President of the Rover Owners Association of Virginia (ROAV). The the club has permission to use the logo. The LR Logo is part of the ROAV logo.
Technically Sandy asked for the rights, which I think means that LRNA should be asking ROAV to use the Rover Logo.
Sandy had the letter for a long time, but last I heard had lost track of it.
When my wife processed the paperwork to incorporate ROAV as a non-profit corporation back in 1980 (or close to that date) we couldn't locate the letter.
Am sure there are stipulations and limitations, but it would be interesting to read it again.
Was hoping it would show up in an old book tucked away or located in the bottom of a safety deposit box.
I know at one time Diesel Bob had the club library in the early 1980s, but am not sure who has all the club documentation today.
Am not an active ROAV member, but about 5 years ago when I was, Sandy was the ROAV Club Historian and may have found the letter.
It's all probably a moot point today, David is correct, the Land Rover logo is incorporated into the ROAV badge which is not on any of my vehicles.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old August 4th, 2014, 10:28 AM
JohnBullsBollocks
Don
1963 IIA 109

Registry
They ran away and dumped us in the bushes ...

Dr. Davis makes a great point that many members are probably not familiar with. I remember when Land Rover abandoned the US market during the middle of the night back in late 1974/early 1975. They left without so much as leaving a note on the pillow. I was going to school and working on Land Rovers, Triumphs and MG's back then. Getting spare parts became a big problem. People needed their vehicles and didn't want to wait 2 weeks for a simple part. Whether you love them or hate them, this is when Atlantic British and eventually Rovers North came to the rescue. There were some great smaller shops like McKane's Rover imports in San Diego. Those companies and - us Land Rover geeks - kept these old motors running and kept the legend of Land Rover ALIVE in the US and Canada. Back then I cultivated several UK parts suppliers and still use them to this day for some of my spares.

Older members will note that the Series Land Rover owners and Defender owners are MUCH different than the current Range Rover types. Most of us were serious about 4-wheeling and used our rigs to go camping, hunting or to perform actual off road work. While there are some Disco drivers who love to drive off road, the current Land Rover buyer is more urban and more likely to go on a mall shopping safari than take to the hills. Anyway, it's the "little people" who kept that brand alive and viable in the US and Canada. The Series and Defender vehicles are the "holy icons" still used by the media whenever they need a rugged prop. All of this has kept the mystique alive.
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Exactly.

LRNA is embarrassed when a "real" Land Rover 90 or 110 shows up at the dealership

I feel the may reason for any embarrassment is simply due to the fact that the Defender is dead and there is NOTHING in the pipeline to replace it.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I feel the may reason for any embarrassment is simply due to the fact that the Defender is dead and there is NOTHING in the pipeline to replace it.
Bad decision and good point.
If I had made such a silly decision, then I would be embarrassed too, wouldn't you?

They're also embarrassed to tell the owner of a 90 or 110 that they are not capable of working on their vehicle or getting parts for a diesel.

Old August 4th, 2014, 01:10 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I don't mind.. The local dealers refer all the unusual stuff to me... Works fine for me..)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat