How to register a truck in Va. With no title. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 24th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Chuck Yarbrough
01 DII
How to register a truck in Va. With no title.

Like this one

Just a thought. If I brought this one back to Va, could I ever get it registered here?

2001 DII
Defender envy.
The parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British craftsmanship.
Old August 24th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
I called the state of Arkansas about a vehicle from Maine. They said that just a letter from the DMV and I think a copy of the latest registration, to go with the bill of sale, would be fine for states that don't issue titles for older vehicles. I assume most states are similar.

Old August 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Originally Posted by ukoffroad View Post
Like this one

Just a thought. If I brought this one back to Va, could I ever get it registered here?
Old August 24th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
No problem at all unless your name rhymes with "edro".

You take your bill of sale, and a current registration down to the DMV and explain that Maine doesn't give titles to vehicles over 15 years old. They go back and talk to the manger and then come give you a title.

If the vehicle hasnt been registered recently, get a notorized bill of sale, and send the necessary paperwork to Richmond which explains why (truck was sitting in a field for 15 years or whatever) and they send you a title.
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Old August 26th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Here is a watered down version of my experience:

After a couple of years, I was able to finally get my ROW 110 titled in VA. This was after bringing it back from the UK (military move). At first they handed me a form made for trailers/kit cars and said go to the Sherrif's office and have them verify your VIN....oh and pay $179. I didn't see the rationale in this since I had all the import paperwork, UK reg, etc. Then I went back to the DMV (as I was rebuilding it) and they said the DMV Law Enforcement guys can verify the VIN. I called them at two different offices and they both said. "Yeah...we don't do that anymore." I told the DMV this, and finally they said THEY would be able to verify the VIN. I had them put it in writing so the next DMV employee would know what to do. So I rented a car trailer and towed my rig there (no glass installed at this stage of the rebuild). One of the ladies walked out with a pencil and a piece of paper and tried to make a rubbing (giggidy) of the VIN plate. That didn't work. She let me try, but I my quarter-copying skills escaped me from the 3rd grade. She gave up and wrote it down. 10 min later I walked out with my title....finally.

Soooo. I guess it depends on the competency of your Virginia DMV.
Old August 26th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
Its extremely simple actually. If it was not titled by Derek @ GMR in Vermont which I'm betting it was you will need to:

1) fill out the online DMV form applying for title and registration
2) get copies of the US Customs, EPA, DOT entry docs from the seller or from Derek @ GMR
3)go to dmv and the whole process takes less than 15 mins.

Had my 19yr old son do a newly imported one a couple of weeks ago and his took about 25mins. You need the current registration or former foreign registration, customs form, epa form, dot form, a bill of sale and an application for title.

Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat