How to hotwire your D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

How to hotwire your D-90

Went out to Katemcy Rocks here in Central Texas yesterday. It's the closest legal offroading to me at 2 hours away. I was meeting a couple of other members from the San Antonio chapter of Texas Rovers. I got there about 30minutes before they arrived. I aired down and played on the ramp a bit before they showed up.
Once they got there they got aired down and set to go. I hopped in the 90 and cranked the ignition. A snap came from the ignition barrel and the key started free-spinning in the barrel. The truck got to the 'on' position but not 'start' and stayed there. I could remove the key and it'd stay in 'on'.
We pulled the column shroud and the instrument panel to get to the ignition. We decided to pull the ignition the play with it. Who the hell invented 'pinch bolts'? We were ill-equipped to remove bolts with no heads. Finally got them out with an icepick and hammer. We took apart the back of the ignition and couldn't spin the internals. Something was definitely broken. After 30 minutes of playing I sent them out on the trails so I wouldn't ruin their whole day. My father and I played with the ignition and figured out how to get it to start but the starter was staying on too. Not ideal. We then figured out that pulling the starter relay would stop the starter spinning.
This is how I ran for the rest of the day. Plug in in starter relay to start truck and pull it when it turned over. To stop I had to stall the truck. At the end of the day after nursing the overheating and sick truck 100 miles home I stallled it in the garage. I then had to pull the battery ground to turn the truck totally off. I wished we had a 16 year old out there to show us how to hotwire a car instead of having to spend an hour figuring it out.

Damage for the day is one possible head gasket in need of replacement, a dead ignition, a speedo that no longer works after pulling the instrument panel, and a smashed camera that occured when there was a mad scramble to prevent a friend's Disco from tipping over backwards off a 30' cliff.

Not the best of days but she still got me home in one piece at the end of the day. I love my truck, even when I hate it.

Here's about what Katemcy looks like. Acres and acres of solid granite.

Just before Joe tried to fall off that cliff to his right. This pic does the closeness to the edge no justice. The camera was destroyed less than a minute after this pic was taken.
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

If possible, it is always much easier to push start the truck (or tow start it if off road). Sounds like a tough day.
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
If possible, it is always much easier to push start the truck (or tow start it if off road). Sounds like a tough day.
In the terrain we were playing in that wouldn't have worked very well had it stalled in some of the more tight areas. There was no flat spot longer than about 10 feet in about 800 arces of rock. Besides, knowing how to hotwire a car is always a good thing.
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'm not 16 and I can hot wire my Defender in less then a minute. To stop the engine you onloy had to pull the ECU relay. The hardest paert though is the steering lock but once that is out of the way the rest is easy, with the 4 wires on the back of the ignition you can start and stop it pretty easy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90