How strong is D-90 roll cage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

How strong is D-90 roll cage?

I was curious about the defender as I was going through some old photos and came across the pictures of my old race car after the crash that totaled it. The crash occurred along a straightaway where a car tapped me into the grass. I got sideways and rolled. The car flipped at over 120 mph and cart wheeled passenger side over driver side seven times before landing on it's wheels. I got out without even a scratch. Since then I've been a big believer of roll cages. The cage in that car didn't even budge. Considering the defender.. how strong is that cage? Is it more a topple over off-road type cage, or would it stand up to a medium roll on the streets? Has anyone reinforced their cages?
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Roverhybrids made a reinforced roll cage.. added gussets to it; http://www.roverhybrids.com/NAS_D90_Rebuild.html
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I was curious about the defender as I was going through some old photos and came across the pictures of my old race car after the crash that totaled it. The crash occurred along a straightaway where a car tapped me into the grass. I got sideways and rolled. The car flipped at over 120 mph and cart wheeled passenger side over driver side seven times before landing on it's wheels. I got out without even a scratch. Since then I've been a big believer of roll cages. The cage in that car didn't even budge. Considering the defender.. how strong is that cage? Is it more a topple over off-road type cage, or would it stand up to a medium roll on the streets? Has anyone reinforced their cages?
Ask Ben Bibb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Glad he made it out of that ok.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The cage on the Defender is not a crash cage, like found in race cars. It was designed to suffice in low speed roll-overs (maybe not multiple rolls down rocky terrain) encountered while off-road, serving to keep the roof from entirely crushing. The cage will deform, but the idea is that people will survive - not that the truck will come out relatively unscathed.

Had that incident above happened in a RoW 90 lacking the cage, the driver might not have walked out okay.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

there was a college kid on here a few years ago with green 97 ST that barrell rolled his on the highway at speed. The rollcage stood up fairly well, but you could see where the bracing at the front fenders was caving in.

All that said, I had a much stronger cage built for mine. The stock one is flimsy if you take it apart and see what it is really made out of(everything past the A pillar anyway).
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I bought a '97 that "escaped" from the road at a fair speed (the police estimated 70ish) the truck rolled three times and stopped abruptly when it came in contact with a rather large tree. There was nothing really left of the truck but as I understood from the PO that when they cut him out of it with the Jaws 'O life he needed a measly 30 stitches and a brace on this left knee for a while.. Of course he was very "lubicated" and that may have also helped. I was impressed however that the remnants of the truck did appear to leave space for the occupants while it absorbed the crash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Would a cage that deforms protect you better than a totally rigid cage? (assuming that you are not wearing a helmit and strapped into a full race seat with a five point harness)
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My NAS 90 had been rolled over and the cage was toast, as was the hood, windsheild frame etc. Not sure if the driver walked away or not. These cages were definately not made for anything more than a 5mph roll on the side type accident.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I used to spend time at the BATUS scrap yard picking over crashed military 90 and 110 rovers. I've seen a lot of them and they seem to need a roll bar of at least a basic type. The safety devices single hoop with rear stays that they use is usually the only thing that appears to keep the drivers space somewhat survivable. The windshield frames and the front of the roof look to be about as strong as a cardbord box.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I figured the cage was meant more for "laying" the truck over vs. any serious roll. My main concern, as mentioned above, is the windshield frames. I was considering replacing the front mounting bars of SD roof rack with the same tubing used on the race cars cage but I'm assuming the bars over the doors would deform with any serious impact. I keep seeing photos of flipped rovers and see the front section of the roof pushed in and I think to myself "I'm 6'4 and have those 1 inch seat risers".... I wonder if my head would make it.
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
On a related note, how crazy would you think I was if I wanted to run my 110 on the highway with no roll cage at all?
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No crazier than guys who run around in old bronco's without the tops and doors!

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Almost as crazy as I am running my 110 all over with no cage and a 3" lift! I do plan to put my cage in mine soon though!

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Keith, do you have a CT spec cage?

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Right but the hard top must offer some protection.

Would you change your answer if I said I'd take my kids with me?
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Shane also reinforced the brackets under the wings that supported the windshield hoop. I will be doing that same thing in the coming months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02064.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	12478  
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Here is how mine was when I got it. Don't have a clue how it happened or who owned it (anyone recognize it?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Left Front D90.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	12484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Front D90.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	12485  

Name:	Left Rear D90.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	12486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear D90.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	12487  

Attached Images

Old March 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I know I have said this before but it bears repeating. The NAS Defender roll cage was made it allow the Defender to meet the minimum cash requirements to get into the US. MINIMUM. But they do look cool right?!

It is a great upgrade to get a a real cage made. It can even look stock, just built correctly.

And to all those stories about wrecking a truck and coming out cool, means nothing. I rolled a CJ7 5 times with the stock b pillar that bolts to the rear wheel wells. The bar actually ripped off the truck in the roll. I got a scraped head and shoulder and taught kickboxing the next night. Doesn't mean the Jeep was safe, means I was lucky.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:59 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think people expect too much from cages - if it worked once, then it did its job. By way of example, Davis' blue truck has worse problems than a bent cage, but the passenger area is pretty much intact.

Something that can take a beating and keep going like buck's is a special requirement.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, cage, d-90